Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reputation now viewable in topics

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

I just wanted to let you know, that your reputation here on WDF is now visible within the topic view of all your posts.

 

Screenshot:

 

www.webdesignerforum.co.uk 2011-2-24 17-57-22.png

 

Please thank people using the "+" sign at the bottom of all posts if a member has helped you or you found that particular post/topic useful.

 

Share the love :drinks:

 

I currently have 61 - so i'm not amazingly helpful! lol - flm%20%287%29.gif

 

Note:

Your Interests have been removed as this was causing posts to be longer than they should - stop being so interesting!! ;) - Don't worry, it's all still viewable in your profile.

I am massively in favour of this! Not that my reputation is equally as massive :cray:

 

Good addition :)

 

 

Kyle

It does doesn't it? I mean press the + on a post and that users reputation goes up by 1 point as well as the posts.

 

 

or is that not what you mean :unsure:

Edited by Dizi

It does doesn't it? I mean press the + on a post and that users reputation goes up by 1 point as well as the posts.

 

Yeah it definately does, just tried it out with Ben, then refreshed the page and ta-da!

I was talking about the rep on the left going up as well as the in post (without refreshing the page). I think it would give users a visual indication of what the + button does.

Edited by Jock

I was talking about the rep on the left going up as well as the in post (without refreshing the page). I think it would give users a visual indication of what the + button does.

 

Yeah that would be good. Or at least some text next to the "+" to indicate what clicking the plus will do.

And the person with the most at the end of every week gets free ice scream, but not the hard stuff it's Mr Whippy!

Yeah that would be good. Or at least some text next to the "+" to indicate what clicking the plus will do.

 

CSS Tooltip :)

 

http://sixrevisions.com/css/css-only-tooltips/

 

 

EDIT: Then again... it does already have a title attribute.

Edited by jacksaidwhat

Good call. Rep's a very good visual indicator of how much weight to place on the advice people are giving.

 

I've seen people with "Click here if this post was helpful" calls to action in their sigs, does that actually work?

 

Edit: Just a thought, but how about a downvote button too? I don't want this to turn into Stack Overflow or anything, but when people are spamming it might be handy.

Edited by Renaissance-Design

I hate it, its just more forum elitism bull****, so if some one sits on the forum all day answering questions that makes his advice better than some one whos working all day in the real world?

 

I want to remove it from my sidebar but cant find the option.

 

Sorry but thats my point of view, seems my view isnt what anyone else thinks tho

 

T :(

I currently have 61 - so i'm not amazingly helpful! lol

Don't be too upset Ben. You're 61 will jump to 610 in a matter of months. Btw doesn't IP.Board have their own built-in rep. system?

  • Author

How can we know who "thanked" us and from which specific "topic/forum"?

Can we do that?

 

Yes, this will be a feature in a future version of the forum software, here's a video preview:

 

http://vimeo.com/20369319

 

Don't be too upset Ben. You're 61 will jump to 610 in a matter of months. Btw doesn't IP.Board have their own built-in rep. system?

 

LOL, sympathy votes probably! ;) - It's using IPB's rep' system :)

LOL, sympathy votes probably! ;) - It's using IPB's rep' system :)

Ah I was wondering why it looked quite similar. Seems like you just added a "short cut."

Seems like I can't edit my old post since the username change. I just wanted add a suggestion. What if we could see who gave us the rep points or from which post we got it from in the user panel. I am quite curious as to where these +rep points are coming from.

Seems like I can't edit my old post since the username change. I just wanted add a suggestion. What if we could see who gave us the rep points or from which post we got it from in the user panel. I am quite curious as to where these +rep points are coming from.

 

ditto

I've seen this issue raised on many other forum sites and the answer from the devs always seems to be to much server load. I'm no DB expert so if one of our resident geniuses can enlighten us then go ahead :)

I hate it, its just more forum elitism bull****, so if some one sits on the forum all day answering questions that makes his advice better than some one whos working all day in the real world?

 

I want to remove it from my sidebar but cant find the option.

 

Sorry but thats my point of view, seems my view isnt what anyone else thinks tho

 

T :(

 

Actually, no. But if you compare someone's Rep to their number of posts it gives you a good signal-to-noise ratio, just as a rule of thumb. And if you're busy "working all day in the real world" and only manage to give one piece of advice per month, you'll likely have more Rep than posts so I don't know what you're complaining about. Rep is just an artificial carrot to keep the quality of posts high.

Actually, no. But if you compare someone's Rep to their number of posts it gives you a good signal-to-noise ratio, just as a rule of thumb. And if you're busy "working all day in the real world" and only manage to give one piece of advice per month, you'll likely have more Rep than posts so I don't know what you're complaining about. Rep is just an artificial carrot to keep the quality of posts high.

 

 

I sort of see what you're saying but many of us that like giving help also like bantering with each other in the general discussion forum. In this case the signal to noise ratio just doesn't really work out.

The way i see the rep button is more like someone can show to you that they appreciated your help, i don't really connect it to an ego trip.

 

 

It's not really an ego thing, I see the numbers increase and I just want to know where it's coming from. The "who repped" doesn't matter but the where does really help to know. I guess I was looking at the rep button as more like Facebooks "Like" button where you thank someone without writing thank you. But I do understand your view and why it would not be a good idea for a forum community.

The way i see the rep button is more like someone can show to you that they appreciated your help, i don't really connect it to an ego trip.

Yes, this is the way I see it too.

 

 

 

 

+1 btw!! :p

Edited by Bomb

Actually, no. But if you compare someone's Rep to their number of posts it gives you a good signal-to-noise ratio, just as a rule of thumb.

 

Check out Dizi's and Bluedreamers ratios (Dizi 130 points in 5489 posts Bluedreamer 127 points in 5093 posts) probably 2 of the most helpful people on the forum, but crap ratios

 

I know from my experience, I've helped people and got 0 points, but posted a witty comment and got 2 points.

 

I take the rep with a pinch of salt :rolleyes:

Check out Dizi's and Bluedreamers ratios (Dizi 130 points in 5489 posts Bluedreamer 127 points in 5093 posts) probably 2 of the most helpful people on the forum, but crap ratios

 

That, I did find a bit odd. I'd thought maybe the rep system was bolted on after they'd made the bulk of their posts. Know what you mean though; I've seen a lot of good posts with no rep awarded. Must be some way to leverage the rep system to keep quality up, the site as a whole has a lot of signal to very little noise.

That, I did find a bit odd. I'd thought maybe the rep system was bolted on after they'd made the bulk of their posts. Know what you mean though; I've seen a lot of good posts with no rep awarded. Must be some way to leverage the rep system to keep quality up, the site as a whole has a lot of signal to very little noise.

 

These people were helping people before the rep system was active.

how does someone get negative reputation. I can't upload an image to share - the facility has gone? (and I can't be asked to host it somewhere!)

These people were helping people before the rep system was active.

 

I like the idea of Rep as a Stack Overflow-esque system. Less keen on the idea of using it as a Facebook-esque "Like" button, because that reduces the Rep system itself to noise. Maybe it should be enabled on a per-forum basis - can IPB do that, or would it take hacking?

Edited by Renaissance-Design

What we have to remember is that our forum is not custom made. Instead we are heavily reliant on IP.Board for updates. With that being said, the reason why Dizzi or Bluedreamers don't have many rep points is because back then (when most of us started) we did not have such a reputation feature.

 

As mentioned in the previous post

Wow did I really, completely, utterly overlook that post? This is my fault in yet again being the cause of another argument or in this case debate.

  • Author

Maybe it should be enabled on a per-forum basis - can IPB do that, or would it take hacking?

 

Yes I believe it can :) Will take a look at this when the next version comes out. :)

 

 

Wow did I really, completely, utterly overlook that post? This is my fault in yet again being the cause of another argument or in this case debate.

 

 

Mmmm, Hmmm...

 

+1 if I should Ban Sazzad ;)flm%20%287%29.gif

im hitting a new rep atleast once a day, or every other day <_< personally i think Dizi deserves my rep points, takes alot to reach 5,000 post, alott of helping going on there :friends::clapping:

Edited by webdesigner93

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.