Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Paul Millar

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Paul Millar

  1. Its good, so nice work. The only thing I would pick up on is the contact form at the bottom. It doesn't look like any thought has been put in to the positioning so much and takes it away from looking professional. Just aligning the fields would make it look so much better.
  2. Tj Hughes? I still havent heard of that...
  3. I've actually found that making mine was easier than a lot of clients work. I dont know if its because i'd recently had quite a bit of time off - or because i was in new surroundings and feeling most inspirational but somehow it just was. I also knew what I wanted from the site, and sometimes with clients they're not 100% sure so it can sometimes be hard... I do have quite a bit of spare time at the moment though... So... Hopefully things change - and then you might see my portfolio get destructed!
  4. I dont get a flash when I switch pages.... I dont think streamlining your css will do anything. Just my opinion :S
  5. JQuery Validator all the way. No faffing. Done in 30 secs.
  6. I didnt even know a rounded corners jquery plugin existed. Wow - thanks!
  7. I really like it. I love simplistic design. The only thing that I have bad to say about it is the load time on the background image again. It doesnt help me being in Australia and the internet speeds being awful here. (And actually I cant complain either because my portfolio has a huge background image).... So, good job!
  8. Cop out answer: Nobody will ever be perfect. ...But if you want to try just keep practising and immerse yourself in the web design world and keep learning
  9. Ah, no I dont. I create it all from scratch the majority of the time (and I would also assume most others do here also). Now and again I also use what is called a CSS Framework. Take a look at the Blueprint CSS framework (I would say its the best...): http://code.google.com/p/blueprintcss/
  10. If you want it to be as stress easy to update as possible then I would highly suggest using wordpress. However, saying that - before you start getting into custom theming with wordpress you will want to learn the basics of HTML and CSS. It all depends on what your after. I mean, you could have a website (not designed by you but your content) powered by wordpress set up in 30 mins and you would be ready to go. But it would be a template eg the design wouldnt be unique - and you wouldnt have the sense of 'I built this myself'. It would however work. If you decide to go down the HTML / CSS route incorporating lightbox is faily straightforward. Where abouts in Australia are you from if you dont mind me asking? (I moved here 4 weeks ago today!)
  11. With HTML and CSS. Looking at: http://www.w3schools.com/css/ Might help you out
  12. Yes, by CS4 he meant Adobe Photoshop CS4... I used to do it like that and found it okay. However recently I've just started producing better designs (and those designs have been designed on paper first) - Its not as if I even put colour in on my paper designs. I just design the layout and try to stick to it. (If I digress to much it quite often looks crap!) Dont ask me why, but yeah as much as 'just going for it in dreamweaver' did work - it worked much better for me when I designed. Everyones different I guess, but if you havent tried designing on paper before I would highly recommend it - and when you do design on paper: do it away from your computer (as it just helps you focus) - or me atleast!
  13. I quite like it. Its different! If its work your trying to get from the site then I'm not 100% sure that that's the best solution for you. (Its not clear that if you click you will see work of yours) - and theres just the one line about you being available for outsourcing... Saying that I dont think your main aim is to get shedloads of work - and your targeting designers / people in the industry so It might work to your advantage. My other point would be Russ's... (See above) However, it is rather nice! Good job!
  14. That's the guy off dragons den right? The reason its not aligning right is because your floating the whole thing wrong... This is how your three columns look at the moment: #left { float:left; width:175px; padding:0px 0px 0px 5px; background-color:#FFF; height:1000px; #middle { width:518px; padding:0px 0px 0px 190px; float:none; } #right { width:217px; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; float:right; height:266px; } This is how they should look: #left { float:left; width:175px; padding:0px 0px 0px 5px; background-color:#FFF; height:1000px; #middle { width:500px; padding:0px 0px 0px 5px; float:left; } #right { width:217px; padding:0px 0px 0px 5px; float:left; height:266px; } Im not 100% sure on the dimensions (it depends what you want them to be I guess - but can you see the difference? Hope that helped. Paul
  15. Google Analytics. - So long as you set up different profiles up for each website. Google.com/Analytics
  16. I think you hit the nail on the head there. I use dreamweaver and can honestly say that my websites dont have a lot of crap in them. It just depends on how you use the software. - I think I only switch to design view for pasting text in now and again - but even then it gets re-checked & slimmed down in code view. Anyways, Welcome Choice! Hope you pick up lots of new things here!
  17. Paul Millar replied to ad99wd's topic in Hardware
    I've had a samsung R60+ coming up two years now. I bought it for about £480 - its since gone down in price by quite a bit (as all computers do over time) - But I would definitely recommend taking a look at the new samsung range. They also look sexy.
  18. What about expression engine? Or would you say because of the way themes are implemented in expession engine there isnt so much a desire for them? (Eg. you dont just upload and switch a template the way you would in wordpress: Most ee themes are custom)...
  19. I use www.curdbee.com Its maybie not as flashy looking, but it does the job and is fast which leaves lots more time designing.
  20. Ah lucky you! Guess that puts me to the bottom of the charge list - again! Do you outsource much? Wouldnt it be possible to charge UK rates from there because it is an internet business or do you find that while that is a fact, it rarely happens?
  21. I know its american based, but I <3 MediaTemple. Its fast, and because it runs on a grid its never down.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.