Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WDF Members Pricelist?

Featured Replies

Hi everyone,

 

ive been thinking (dangerous, i know :rolleyes: ) but would it be worth us actually getting together a list, of all of our "active" members (if your reading this, then you count ;)) and putting together a list of the services they offer, and the prices they charge, and a crosssection of their portfolio?

 

This way, people who are just after someone to do 1 logo, can see "oh, its 2 hours work, so i'll go with Reaper/Tery/Zig/Whoever"

 

It would also mean, that when some of us others have to outsource work (i may have to outsource a hell of alot soon) we can see who fits our budgets without having to post on looking to hire, and then going through 100 posts, as it would all be there in 1 convenient place?

 

 

Just an idea.

 

Reaper

Sure why not.

 

£25 per hour minimum || Per project.

 

http://alistairrossini.com/v3/about

 

I have nothing to hide, my prices don't change depending on who you are. All prices are based on time, and how I value that time. Typically qualified IT profesionals can charge up to £35 per hour and then it goes up based on experience etc.

 

I am a recent grad with some experience, this is how £25 per/hour is my salary.

 

Base level pricings, bare in mind these will vary almost immediately given different clients require different things.

 

PSDs for web templates (2 psds) £250

Static (Do people still want these???) web site (5 pages) £500

Flash animated site (£600) Less experience with this and is reflected in price. Nice looking Flash sites take a lot of refinement.

WordPress driven site. (£800)

Actinic driven site. (£1000, plus £400 Actinic license fee for client)

Magento driven site (£1600)

 

Fully bespoke PHP driven site to name a price for this would be silly.

Fully bespoke PHP Framework (Cake driven sites) to name a price for this would be silly.

 

I don't really specialise in single graphics like logos etc, although if anyone is wanting to hire me for then so be it. More of a UI designer doing the whole works.

  • Author

Can you also add a list of services (logo design, html/css, php, flash etc)

 

If people want to charge different rates for different things, that is fine.

 

Think ill end up doing it as a table - Names down the left, services across the top, adn hourly rates in the cells.

 

Reaper

It's an interesting idea (and ta for the mention!)... however my prices vary according to whether the client is in the UK or Malta (different standards of living, so "what the market will bear" is different in each country). I also sometimes discount a little if I think a project is going to be really good fun or teach me a lot, so it's not really possible for me to post up figures. But I'll be interested to see how this turns out :)

From what I've seen on this board, I think I seriously undercharge and will be working up a new pricelist before posting.

Yeh Zig, that sounds like a fair moto.

 

Personal R & D should not really be in the quote.

 

Also different locations and market prices come into it.

  • Author
It's an interesting idea (and ta for the mention!)... however my prices vary according to whether the client is in the UK or Malta (different standards of living, so "what the market will bear" is different in each country). I also sometimes discount a little if I think a project is going to be really good fun or teach me a lot, so it's not really possible for me to post up figures. But I'll be interested to see how this turns out :)

 

Pity, was looking forward to seeing what you would charge if isent some work out to you.

 

 

 

Reaper

Cut copy past job from our website

 

 

Pricing

We have a very straightforward approach to pricing. We will provide you a quotation, which we stick to - so no hidden surprises. The price we agree up front you is the price you pay

 

Our per page pricing works on a sliding scale, meaning larger web sites cost less per page. This reflects the amount of time spent on design at the initial stages

 

Price guide

 

* Up to 10 web pages, static brochure style web site: from £800

* Up to 20 web pages, static brochure style web site: from £1500

* Content management (CMS) database driven site: from £3500

* Add a fully featured mailing list manager: from £500

* Add a fully featured forum: from £500

* Add an e-commerce solution with payment integration from £3100

* For photographers and artists, a gallery with e-commerce integration from £3500

 

We can integrate almost any system into your site including for example: estate agency, model agency and dating agency systems. Prices are dependant on your requirements and the amount of work required

 

Making your life easier

To show our commitment to you, and your commitment to us, we generally split up the work and payments into easily manageable phases

 

Quotations

To provide an exact online price list is not possible, as each clients needs are very differing. Call us today on 0115 845 8953 to discuss your needs. We will provide a free, no obligation quotation

 

Hosting

We offer commercial grade hosting for just £100 per year or £15.00 per month

 

Hourly rate

For remedial works to existing websites, removal of viruses, amendments and maintenance we can either work at an hourly rate of fixed fee. We charge £40.00 per hour. If you are unsure about how much work is involved in resolving your webite problem, just call us. We will have a look, and give you a free quick quotation, both in terms of time and costs

 

Retainers

Many of our customers want us to continue providing services once their website has gone live - to cover backups, maintenance, minor amendments and updates etc. For only our web-design customers, we offer an optional retainer contract that covers this. Our optional retainer is always at a very reasonable monthly rate, giving our clients total peace of mind

 

______________

 

Our USP is that we are also professional photographers

 

Pricing

Corporate head shots

£120.00 for the first head shot / portrait

£60.00 to each subsequent portrait

+ reasonable travel expenses

 

Product photography

Cataloguing small items for e-commerce, can either be shot in a studio type environment, or the customers premises if the environment is suitable

£5.00 per finished edited image (100 items +)

£8.00 per finished edited image (under 100 items)

+ reasonable travel expenses

 

Building/landscape/interior/exterior

£120.00 for the first finished edited image

£60.00 for each finished edited image

+ reasonable travel expenses

 

Photography day rate

 

If you have a great deal of photography to organise, we shoot at our commercial day rate, which is a very competitive £800.00 per day. This includes post processing

 

Fashion and clothing shoots

We bring you to a studio to do these, prices on a job-by-job basis depending on requirements

Larger product shoots

Prices on a job-by-job basis depending on requirements

Please contact us for a detailed project quotation

I'd actually be interested in reading this for my own research, if I'm honest!

I've been self-employed for a year next month, so now have a few clients under my belt and have been thinking it's time to think more seriously about pricing. I've been sort of running on a rough estimate of time and depending on who the client is, but I feel I've been a bit too kind with them while trying not to underprice myself too much.

I'd actually be interested in reading this for my own research, if I'm honest!

I've been self-employed for a year next month, so now have a few clients under my belt and have been thinking it's time to think more seriously about pricing. I've been sort of running on a rough estimate of time and depending on who the client is, but I feel I've been a bit too kind with them while trying not to underprice myself too much.

 

NEVER say "WHO THE CLIENT IS" - you will land in really deep water fast

If it helps, I recommend asking the guys at business link. Ther re-aligned my prices (upwards) and things have been peachy since. If you are too cheap, serious companies will just ignore you

NEVER say "WHO THE CLIENT IS" - you will land in really deep water fast

Maybe - but I don't believe in charging the same to the lady starting a small low volume business from her garage (who is going to come back for more as she can't manage her website herself) as the big agency in the town centre office who will take it and have their own staff manage it.

Reaper, I'm always amenable to giving a private quote or some guidelines - just contact me via ZigPress.com - however I've recently taken on another project and am now totally maxed out until mid-August...

Maybe - but I don't believe in charging the same to the lady starting a small low volume business from her garage (who is going to come back for more as she can't manage her website herself) as the big agency in the town centre office who will take it and have their own staff manage it.

Trust me - even if you have differential pricing, or differential anything else.. for what ever reason, It can be vewed as discrimination - thats the world we live in unfortunatally

 

the problem is that when you say something like that, it can be taken the wrong way. What you actually do is one thing, what you can say you do is quite another

even if you have differential pricing, or differential anything else.. for what ever reason, It can be vewed as discrimination

Hmm, to be brutal I'd say that's b o l l o c k s - discrimination is about race, gender, age, etc etc.

 

Business is business. You quote what you quote, and if they accept, that's great. If they don't, you decide at that point whether you want the job enough to reduce a little.

 

If you quote BigCorp plc at £30/hour and MomsApplePie at £20/hour, what's the problem? Quotes are private documents.

  • Author

I agree with ZigPress, and if they sue you for discrimination, go allong the line of "the big company would get extra for the amount they are paying" and i highly doubt anyone would see both quotes anyway.

 

Reaper

It's like telling a builder he needs to charge the same whether it's adding a porch or building a kitchen extension.

 

The other side to quoting per client is that every site is different. If you look like you are actually thinking about what's involved, how much time it will reasonably take, etc you are giving the client a more personal service than 'one price fits all - no thought needed'. They feel like they're getting what they're paying for however you decide to charge it.

I entirely disagree with quoting different peepes different prices. At the end of the days your skills are just as much value (depending on your standard and ability) to one person as the next.

 

It is essentially like walking into a shop one day with a shirt and tie, buying a packet of skittles and paying 50p, but the next day you walk in with a pair of shorts and tee and only pay 40p. Where is the logic in that?

Getting a contract can often mean negotiating if your prospect wants to do it that way, and if you won't negotiate on price, there's not a lot left to negotiate on...

 

Of course you can walk away, but maybe if it's a decent size project and you knock off 5%, you get the deal and can have 3 weeks in Florida this year instead of 2 weeks in Spain.

 

Life and business are not always black and white...

  • Author

If you have 2 identicle projects, 1 for big company, 1 for little old lady on her own.

 

the company is less likely to negotiate on your £2000 quote, the lady may only have £1800. Its 1 weeks work, so your telling me you wont drop your price for her? or would you say to the big company

 

"hang on, ive just done it for a little old lady, had to drop price by £200 for her, so to make it fair for you, you can have it for £1800 too?"

 

 

Reaper

Going down is entirely different.

 

Catering for old lady is morally fine, running an extortion ring is not.

I think all Cinnamondm was getting at was that different clients want sites of different complexity, and that is reflected in the price, I think Cinnamondm means if coca-cola came to her with a 20 page site with flash games in and a kitchen sink, it would be a lot different to Mrs Jones who wants a static 3 page site for her fruit and veg shop.

 

So yes, it really does depend "WHO THE CLIENT IS"

you've forgotten time as well. some guy wants/needs his site by next week vs some guy that needs his site next year.

 

you forgotten quality as well. some guy is happy with a super basic looking site with a phone number for his gardening biz vs some guy who runs a limo company and needs the site looking uber flashy

Just to clarify exactly what I meant

 

It has nothing to do with prices for jobs, it has nothing to do with complexities of jobs. I was politley pointing out that if one says "depending on who the client" it leads to open misinterpretation, which is why you shouldnt say it. This fact is clearly exhibited in the posts volloing my comment

 

Its one of those phrases, that you just shouldnt use in business

 

___

 

With regards to pricing - every job is different, and has its own challenges, ranging from not getting copy in a timley manner through to interfacing to some obscure backend system. Expectations are different too, allong with the requirements and functions a site needs to deliver. I have a fairly standard pricing model, and then adjust out to factor in such matters.

 

In my experience - dealing with big corporates is as much a pain as the private individual - the corporate being unable to decide who makes a decision, and the individual just unable to make one. I personally find the small (ish) companies much easier to deal with. If I feel one site will tie me up on the phone all week, I need to charge more for that etc.

Just to clarify exactly what I meant

 

It has nothing to do with prices for jobs, it has nothing to do with complexities of jobs. I was politley pointing out that if one says "depending on who the client" it leads to open misinterpretation, which is why you shouldnt say it. This fact is clearly exhibited in the posts volloing my comment

 

Its one of those phrases, that you just shouldnt use in business

I appreciate what you are saying but your view is quite naive, I worked in retail management for quite some time, and in that time worked for all the major UK supermarkets, they all have a price banding structure, do you really think that stores up North charge the same prices to stores down South?? I can tell you they dont, they are some of the largest Businesses in the UK and they defiantly say "DEPENDS ON WHO THE CLIENT IS" i'm not saying that is the right thing to do, but it is rife in business. Business exploits their target market, weather that is a man, woman, north or south, targeting certain sectors of the community is what business does.

 

I dont know what "volloing" means to be honest, but i'm assuming you are saying that the responses to your post were largely dismissive, I think this is because you seem to be the only person who did misinterpret what Cinammondm meant.

I appreciate what you are saying but your view is quite naive, I worked in retail management for quite some time, and in that time worked for all the major UK supermarkets, they all have a price banding structure, do you really think that stores up North charge the same prices to stores down South?? I can tell you they dont, they are some of the largest Businesses in the UK and they defiantly say "DEPENDS ON WHO THE CLIENT IS" i'm not saying that is the right thing to do, but it is rife in business. Business exploits their target market, weather that is a man, woman, north or south, targeting certain sectors of the community is what business does.

 

I dont know what "volloing" means to be honest, but i'm assuming you are saying that the responses to your post were largely dismissive, I think this is because you seem to be the only person who did misinterpret what Cinammondm meant.

Typo

 

vollowing = following..

 

 

I also said that you need to be careful what you say, what you do is another thing entirely..

 

Using your supermarket analogy.. they are hardly going to publicly say they charge more in the south, even though the evidencialy do.. On the other hand ground rents may be higher, meaning they actually make less profit by charging more. Double edged sword that argument. The reason they dont say it is the perception that they fliece the south, while people in the north cant afford the prices. The reality may be that they need the extra margin in the south to make the operation commercially viable

Typo

 

vollowing = following..

 

 

I also said that you need to be careful what you say, what you do is another thing entirely..

 

Using your supermarket analogy.. they are hardly going to publicly say they charge more in the south, even though the evidencialy do.. On the other hand ground rents may be higher, meaning they actually make less profit by charging more. Double edged sword that argument. The reason they dont say it is the perception that they fliece the south, while people in the north cant afford the prices. The reality may be that they need the extra margin in the south to make the operation commercially viable

 

The majority of sites owned by Supermarkets have been in land bank for years, it can take them years and years to get planning approval because of competition concerns, the land may have been purchased 10- 15 years earlier so the ground rent argument dont really stand. Supermarkets aside, my point was more the fact that Business is a discriminatory beast, business constantly targets men, women children, black, white, north, south, you name a sector of the community and some business will be aiming their attention to it, and my point would be, by their very actions they are saying that it matters to them "who the client is".

 

If you are talking about the PC connotations of saying you aim at a particular market and say so, that is a different discussion altogether.

  • Author

Just a quick one to confirm pricing of different places. McD's is a good example. got 3 "out of town" ones within 5 miles of me. 2 charge "normal prices" 1 charges "increased prices" when i asked why, they said it was because they are classed as a "service station" due to them being within 1 mile of an A road. Same applies for fuel, do you never argue with them and say "the one down the road from me is 6p cheaper per litre!" You charge the client, what the client is willing to pay.

 

Reaper

My prices vary a lot.

 

My base rate is £17.50 per hour for small tasks. Prices for bigger project are quoted per project.

 

I do PSD to XHTML/CSS for £60 (Fully Valid & Expertly coded) <-- This is my super offer.

 

Social Media Help, is a new service I offer. What I do is help you out on sites like digg, rediit, stumbleupon & twitter. Again this charged per job but I do offer digg/reddit submissions for £30 per submit.

I charge £35ph = £245pd*. Simple.

 

All services and skills are listed on my website, I don't see the point in copying and pasting the info into this thread when you can just go and read them here.

 

*subject to change in the future.

I currently charge £35 her hour, irrespective of the client or job. Same price applies whatever the job, which are xHTML/CSS coding, design, monthly retainer, Wordpress setup and customisation.

Wow. I really am seriously undercharging.... I think?

The most I've gotten for a single website is £120. Saying that they were all friends or friends of friends - So I did produce at a reduced rate.

 

Do people here charge significantly less for friends that want websites done?

(Depending on what a friend wanted I would probably do it for free too.. :/)

 

Ah.... Another reason why I need some exposure!

I do friends for whatever they can afford, within reason.

 

For others it's an hourly rate of £35 and websites £500 upwards.

  • Author

I do mates rates, particularly if its cash so no paypal fees.

 

But it can still be a problem, when they start adding things, and you haev to remind yourself they are aclient, so cant take the mick tooo much. Dont want to risk the friendship....

 

Reaper

Normally charge £25 an hour for small things... Websites have a base price of £500... Ecommerce £1000...

 

Regarding the mate rates thing I will do a lot of small stuff such as logos etc for free for friends / family however anything large I point blank refuse to do unless they submit to be treated like a clients for the project - NEVER EVER do large projects for a mate unless they agree to that... If they are a true friend then they wont mind :)

Agree... projects for friends and family are normally minefields... I think I've posted about that before in here somewhere...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.