Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Paul Millar

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Paul Millar

  1. Nope, thats the only flaw with cushycms. Like I said earlier, I would look at wordpress
  2. ...And what about the freelancers that currently do not have work? :/ Sometimes its best to go to these kind of websites.
  3. I'd have to agree on the point of 'they're getting a web presence because they've been told to' I design for the smaller scale businesses and many have actually told me this and just want me to make the best site for them within a budget. - And because of this they're completely different to the clientèle that mid-higher end web projects get
  4. I dont think having the word nuclear in it makes it all that appealing - people associate nuclear being bad.... Making $1000 dollars a month will be highly unlikely and will take a long time to get (eg. your gonna have to run the website for a long time in order to build up a fanbase) - But I wish you the best of luck with the project. Oh, and if you plan to make money from it why are there no adverts on there?
  5. With Cushycms all you have to do is add the style 'cushycms' to any div that you want to be editable. Its really easy to sort out anyways... The only downside with cushycms is that you can't add pages with it. For that I would highly recommend converting your website to wordpress. It took me a day to pick up (so not long at all)..
  6. I dont think thats entirely the case... Lots of businesses wouldnt even think of paying £500+ for a website (as theyre just small local things) - So there is a need for the cheaper design places... Oh, and the link in your signature isnt working?
  7. All of my new friends surf hah, I'm going to have to give it a try when the Australian summer comes around... I would go surfing in this weather (winter) as its just like a summer uk day - but I'd get funny looks.
  8. Paul Millar replied to ad99wd's topic in Hardware
    Windows 7 is basically vista that works... It looks and feels more or less the same anyways. You can download a trial of it from the microsoft website somewhere... As for specifications, as much ram and processing power as possible if you plan on doing lots of graphical stuff. (Oh and try and stay away from an integrated graphics card)
  9. Sucks.... That article says 100,000 websites wiped? Just wow....
  10. Perhaps! Though I honestly believe that if you were to outsource it would be cheaper.... Regarding the thread... Freelancing also comes with costs... That logic also assumes you dont spend anything (phonecalls / marketing etc).. Then you have business tax.. (& theres probably some other tax in there). So the actual money that the freelancer gets in his pocket pre-tax, though it may be more than the average web design job it would rarely be £52k a year (from static websites anyways)... Another point that is probably worth mentioning is that most freelancers work from home. Companies however hire out offices -> Costs More for company -> wages are less.
  11. I think it might depend on the type of domain... From memory .co.uks theyre now charging for though..... Out of interest... What did the nutter send you?
  12. Welcome to the internets. Sucks huh?
  13. I would outsource. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  14. I quite like it, but i think things need to be more spaced out. I'm also not a massive fan of the background. But I'm sure things will change / get more exciting when you come to redesign it. Best of luck with that!
  15. From my understanding, that would be right. Its a little bit of a cop out, but quite often thats what people offer when they offer customized stuff. Im also asuming by OOAK you mean bespoke / original. These tend not to be resold. Customizing a few things and then re-selling it would also count as selling it twice (in my opinion) - Therefore not making it bespoke.
  16. I would possibly go over the grammar used and make the text on the quotes different from the rest of the text (portfolio page)
  17. Exactly what I would have said. Plus half the population already knows how to effectively use googlemaps
  18. I think theres also one that sends it all to your skype account... Situation depending that also might be good.
  19. Paul Millar replied to ReaperWD's topic in General Chat
    I quite fancy an Ankh somewhere. Dont know where exactly...
  20. Not anymore... They've started charging...
  21. eNom / 123reg. Using a mixture at the moment but slowly transitioning over to eNom. I find the 123reg control panel extremely annoying (having to close the window to log out)...
  22. If its just the domain then those tools dont really help...
  23. Im pretty sure theres a pretty good poker player called Tom Larson... Anyways. I really like it. I would agree that it is a little bit un-exciting, but depending on the clientèle that your after It may be whats suited (eg. if your targeting corporations and such). Im not a fan of the details / about text block. It might look better if you half the colours like you have in the latest work block. I dont know? But, nice work!
  24. Just because a website doesnt validate doesnt mean it wont render correctly / display right. Providing you do sufficient testing it doesnt matter too much if it validates or not... I mean, if my code doesnt 100% validate but displays fine in all browsers that I care about im not going to spend multiple hours fixing it. Regarding displaying the logos. I dont think I've ever put them on a website ive created. So long as people get to the content nobody cares. Most people dont even know what W3C is.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.