Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New laptop

Featured Replies

Hi

 

I really need the mobility of a laptop so a desktop is not an option sadly. I am looking to purchase a new laptop (no Mac as all my software is for windows). No sure what to get yet. I need a powerful laptop that can handle all my graphic software including in the future Daz3d and having various programs graphic software open at the same time. My budget lies around £500 to £600 any tips on good laptop?

 

Also I am now on XP and not motivated to go over to Vista and considering waiting for Windows7. So what do you advice? Stay with XP, go to Vista or just wait and go for Windows7?

 

Any tips are very welcome :)

I'd go for a Sony Vaio, a really good one is definitely in your price range, but head over to shops like Play.com and Amazon.co.uk as you're likely to find some good deals over there. Vaio have great everything and I wouldn't get a different Windows laptop ever again.

I've had a samsung R60+ coming up two years now. I bought it for about £480 - its since gone down in price by quite a bit (as all computers do over time) - But I would definitely recommend taking a look at the new samsung range.

 

They also look sexy.

I'd probably go for a 12 inch screen and use or buy a 19" or larger external monitor when you're at base. The laptop will be much lighter than a "full size" 15 inch one and your shoulders will thank you :)

Although, it can be a little annoying using a larger screen because then you'll have to buy a keyboard/mouse, probably wireless. You might be better of having a think about how often you will be carrying it, because many laptops now are quite light. I can carry mine in one hand and it's a 15" screen.

  • Author

Thanks for all the tips they are very helpful.

 

I have a Vaio at the moment and it is coming up to it's 5th birthday so really need a new one. I will agree on the quality of the Vaio they are super. Monitor is not a problem when at home just attach it to my 19inch screen, a mouse and the keyboard but often also use it out and about.

 

What I am really looking for is the hardware specifications e.g. processor, speed etc.. which to go for which to avoid? What are your laptop specifications and are you happy with them?

 

Also stay with xp, go to vista and wait for windows7?

 

Thanks for your help :)

I'm on my laptop at the moment which is Vista, however, I still use (and much prefer) XP on my desktop. The problem, however, is that I don't think Windows machines are released with XP anymore... it's all Vista!

 

So unless you have a XP disc and are willing to reformat, you might be stuck with Vista :/

  • Author

Thanks dt17. I have xp at home and think will skip vista for now and wait to see what windows 7 has to offer.

 

Again thanks all for your replies :)

Windows 7 is basically vista that works... It looks and feels more or less the same anyways.

 

You can download a trial of it from the microsoft website somewhere...

 

As for specifications, as much ram and processing power as possible if you plan on doing lots of graphical stuff. (Oh and try and stay away from an integrated graphics card)

(Oh and try and stay away from an integrated graphics card)

 

Could you please explain why?

  • Author

paul thanks for the tip regarding the integrated graphics card :)

 

webmachine

 

I checked it our and I think the reason why Paul means 'stay away from an integrated graphics card' is because seem to be almost always the bottom spec chips. They hog RAM and use a lot of memory.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.