Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sehrish

Adobe Fireworks or Photoshop

Guest Sehrish

Hello everyone, I want a quick feedback over my confusion of using Photoshop or fireworks. Previously, I was working in a company where my boss recommended fireworks for banner creation, image editing and for some other stuff. But now I am a part of another company where our graphic designer and employees using Photoshop for graphic related things. As I am not familiar with Photoshop so I usually avoid working on it but really wanna know the best one among two so that I can start learning.

Thank You

Although fireworks will produce work of the same quality of photoshop, you will find photoshop more fully featured to be geared towards editing real world photos and although it can be used for creating banners, it is not the most suitable tool for this job, for that I would recommend either illustrator or indesign (preferably a mixture of both).

My recommendation for photoshop above fireworks in not just due to is already mentioned discontinuation, but also because fireworks is unable to render fonts as they would look in real web browsers. Fireworks definitely crashes more of often than Photoshop, it also lacks tools and options to edit photos and add photo effects.

Am still on Fireworks...

I use both depending on what i need them for :)

Edited by dap

I only use Fireworks. Even though I can install Photoshop from Adobe Creative Cloud. Quite a few years ago, I used Photoshop for photo related stuff with Flash websites and such, but nowadays Fireworks always lets me do the simple things I need to do, without needing to learn more.

I'm a hobbyist.

Fireworks? - I have only seen 1 person use this in all my years in the industry!

For banners, logos etc, you're better off using Adobe Illustrator. As it is meant for that.

Photoshop is as the name explains, for photo editing etc. :)

But, it is whatever your most comfortable using I guess.

"For banners, logos etc, you're better off using Adobe Illustrator. As it is meant for that." fireworks was made just for this - for graphical web production. i assume many don't use it because they are already (too) comfortable with photoshop (or illustrator).

We use Sketch pretty much exclusively at work now, I don't think I've opened Illustrator in about 6 months.

I really like it, from a developers view the plugin ecosystem allows you to do almost anything. Airbnb even render React components inside of Sketch files http://airbnb.io/react-sketchapp. It's basically built around designing components and re-using elements, so it's perfect for a modern workflow.

"For banners, logos etc, you're better off using Adobe Illustrator. As it is meant for that." fireworks was made just for this - for graphical web production. i assume many don't use it because they are already (too) comfortable with photoshop (or illustrator).

Or because there's much better tools to get the job done quicker. Guess it's down to preference.

Not sure why you would 'start' using Fireworks now, when it's been discontinued. If you were already using it and loved it, that's a bit different.

Or because there's much better tools to get the job done quicker. Guess it's down to preference.

When it comes to logos and other media that will be used for a wide variety of purposes, the only thing important to remember is to use a vector based program, otherwise, yes, it's down to preference

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By iowebstudio
      Hello everyone, just joined these forums and I've been quite impressed with the extent of the information available on here so far. Looking forward to being part of this community!
      Feel free to visit our blog section from our site, in the hopes that you can benefit from the informative content. We have been focusing on featuring articles on a variety of web design related topics from industry experts and we hope the material will be of assistance and perhaps serve as a starting point for further discussion within this site. www.iowebstudio.com
      Thank you for reading and all the best,
      -Io Web Studio
    • By RobDoyle
      Just curious on how the members here like to build their websites, or do you use an array of methods?
    • By RobDoyle
      Well we are on the verge of 2018 and I wanted to create a post about my story and hopefully seek advice from the forum experts that can help me on my way in 2018.
      After 22 years working in a different declining industry, I made the decision that I wanted to move into a computer-related discipline. In order to create a springboard, I opted to go to university and do a business computing degree. During this degree, we did touch base on web design and web development and I really did enjoy the creative aspects of this. The degree, unfortunately, did not go into great depth with the creative areas I liked and it left me with more questions than answers. It did, however, help me in deciding what I wanted to do after graduating in July 2017.
      Since leaving university I have struggled to get an effective learning plan together to get me to become a junior web designer. There is a lot of conflicting advice out there, so I am now looking at where the best online communities are to learn from and put a plan together for the next few months that I can follow every day and cover the topics that will really help me go forward.
      I have put many WordPress websites together over time but this wasn’t really web design as I just used existing templates and filled in the content. I now want to really understand the whole process and create sites from scratch. 
      I did try for a junior web designer job at a local university for the experience. The feedback was that they were looking for someone with 5-6 recent websites and a good understanding of taking a client brief to completion. Understanding typography, colours and seeing a personal design style was also a requirement.
      I know I’m still a way off from getting to that level. I would really appreciate the advice from you guys here on how to maximise my learning. I am considering joining TeamTreehouse for their web design track as it looks very relevant. I have also just completed a couple of Udemy courses on responsive websites. I also have some experience with HTML and CSS but could really do with going deeper with it as well as wireframing.
      Any advice would be most appreciated, and I wish you all a very happy new year
      Rob
    • By Mr-Silly-Bear
      Hi,

I could really do with some advice regarding a project my company should (hopefully!) be starting soon.

The client is a relatively large business, and the project involves over the course of 12 months redeveloping about 24 websites, made up of restaurants, event venues, and cafes.

In an attempt to make this project easier and more cost-effective we suggested to the client we set up a base set of web components (forms, navbars, footers e.g.) and put together 3 templates (restaurant theme, event venue theme, cafe theme), with a layer of branding CSS to help the individual arms of the business retain some branding differentiation.

As a result of this component idea I suggested to my MD we look at using a decoupled CMS-Frontend architecture, taking advantage of Nuxt.js (my new favourite toy!) and it's component-based methodology for the frontend, and using WordPress as the CMS. With this framework we would be looking at creating a custom set of components, 3 WordPress themes, and 3 front-end Nuxt.js templates for the corresponding themes.

Other than some difficulty finding appropriate UK hosting for our needs this was looking like a good solution, however my MD has told me that he was going to quote the client £10k for the templating project because he doesn't feel the client would be happy paying anymore. I responded by saying really that's not enough for the type of architecture we have been talking about.

The question I have is; am I wrong to say £10k is not enough for this project?

My experience tells me that £10k is fine if we remove the front-end framework from the equation. As keen as I am to do this project in the way I've described above the number in my head was more along the lines of £20k. Am I way out on this one?

Appreciate any advice I can get on this. Thanks!