August 3, 200917 yr Sitting on our butts for hour after hour every day designing sites is a good way to make money. However, it's not the best way to stay in shape. I found this out a couple of years ago when I suddenly ballooned in size. So I decided to do something about it. I got a bike, some weights and a weights bench and began to try getting back into shape. I'm now (thankfully) much smaller, stronger and fitter than before and am still weight training 3 times a week (the great british summertime is hampering my efforts to go out on the bike somewhat). I'm interested to hear what other developers do as a way to keep fit (sometimes it's nice to have an alternative and though I like doing weights it can get repetitive). So feel free to share. Look forward to your replies
August 3, 200917 yr Wii Fit!!!! - For when it's P****** down, and when it's raining I go out on my mountain bike
August 3, 200917 yr I know what you mean, I have a hard time finding time, but I usually make time every Thursday to go martial arts training - it's only once a week, but it can be pretty intense Last week was stick fighting, it was like Star Wars!
August 3, 200917 yr Wii Fit!!!! - For when it's P****** down, and when it's raining I go out on my mountain bike Sadly I don't have Wii Fit, but I am a Pro at Wii Tennis
August 3, 200917 yr I cycle quite a bit... but im still so unfit prob should do more lol... And as for Wii, have kinda funny story about that.. (well I say story it'll be like one line.. but still): First day we got a wii, we got the wii sports game with tennis on and special racket casings to put on the remote. Anyway got round to my turn to play and I went to serve... and well tried to serve properly and of course we have a hanging light thing, and the wiiremote went straight through the light and partly ripped it down
August 3, 200917 yr First day we got a wii, we got the wii sports game with tennis on and special racket casings to put on the remote. Anyway got round to my turn to play and I went to serve... and well tried to serve properly and of course we have a hanging light thing, and the wiiremote went straight through the light and partly ripped it down He he! My son almost put our remote through the tv (luckily he hit the side!) I would like to work on my arms a bit more..... they have become pathetically weak.
August 3, 200917 yr I've actually put on a stone in weight during the past 5 weeks at my work placement at a design company. I really need to start hitting the gym..
August 3, 200917 yr Author I use Wii Fit for a bit of cardio after the weight training is done. It's actually pretty good and if you do a selection of exercises regularly you will work up a bit of a sweat. One word of warning about it, the Yoga exercises don't look like they take much effort, in fact they are actually some of the hardest ones to do correctly and I guarantee the next day you will be aching. All good stuff though, no pain, no gain (as they say). Toying with the idea of getting EA Sports Active too, though not decided on that one yet.
August 4, 200917 yr I play football three times a week and also go to the gym twice a week. I am a pretty active person
August 4, 200917 yr I put on a load of weight last year I had done running occasionally and enjoyed it but it only ever lasted for a couple of weeks then I couldn't be bothered. Then I got the iPhone 3G and bought the Runkeeper App and did weight watchers and lost 2 stone! I love the fact that were still having to incorporate geeky tech into exercising to keep it interesting!!! worked for me anyway!
August 4, 200917 yr I was and still am a keen mountain biker/occasional racer before i started this so that keeps me in shape. Also home gym to keep me trim. Just dislocated my shoulder though so im screwed for the next few weeks
August 4, 200917 yr Author I was and still am a keen mountain biker/occasional racer before i started this so that keeps me in shape. Also home gym to keep me trim. Just dislocated my shoulder though so im screwed for the next few weeks Ouch! I sympathize with you. I tore my bicep about 18 months ago whilst weight training, not fun, not fun at all.
August 5, 200917 yr Try to get out and about in most weather (when you live in tropical (?) Scotland, you quickly tire of waiting for good weather before you do anything). Hill walking definately quickly reminds me when I've been sitting too long in front of a computer, as you'll start to struggle to keep your breath when going uphill. Like to go cycling too, but need to make more of an effort to do this more often. I do like the sound of T_break's idea though!
August 5, 200917 yr I do like the sound of T_break's idea though! Its the only way Acej, feel the burn, no pain, no cream cake!
August 5, 200917 yr I don't own a car so I cycle everywhere and end up doing a around 30-40 miles a week. I also go to the gym 2-3 times a week, do a bit of gardening and go horse riding and surfing as and when I can! It is easy to become to lazy though...
August 5, 200917 yr I'm very unfit, although you wouldn't know it. Since I've started working full time, I'm no longer working out in the mornings, and have noticed im putting on a bit of weight (not to mention im smoking more). I may get myself some gym equipment, just to spur myself on to improve my fitness.
August 6, 200917 yr i'm trying to eat healthier. when i'm meeting a deadline i'll often reach for an energy drink. i'm trying to moderate my caffeine intake. i could exercise more, too, but when i can't find time i feel better knowing i'm not eating crap and glued to my desk for 10 hour days.
August 6, 200917 yr i used to be fit, and fell off so I developed a new strict exercise regime: Mouse finger to make sure my mouse fingers are extra supple i try and play a round of Ghost match on Crossfire everyday (the best game ever). Upper body I lift a pint of liquid at least twice a week, usually in the Amber Tavern or the Dog. Lower body I regularly cross the road to obtain milk and kitkats. Cardio I assume I dont need cardio as I am already often out of breath
August 6, 200917 yr I try to go to the gym but i found it was alot better when i had a friend to go with me. So annyone who wants to join me, feel free. I go to Fitness First in bournemouth
August 10, 200917 yr Weight training to keep the muscles working, Cardio is taken care of by playing with my two kids,(should I re-word that) Motorbike stops me from going insane.
August 10, 200917 yr Not much. Only thing is that I don't have a car - so unless I need to cover a longer distance I just walk. Only activity I do is archery - which in the summer is more exercise with trips in the forest hunting trees.
August 10, 200917 yr Author Some great replies to this thread, thanks for contributing guys. I'm still working out with weights/wii fit. Thought the weather was going to be nice in my neck of the woods this week after the weekend we just had and was planning a cycle ride or two, after today's dismal rain filled affair I think I'll be staying indoors.
August 11, 200917 yr I'd love a Wii but for now it's circuit training and the gym once a week. You really do need some form of exercise when you sit on your butt all day! Also for a gentler form I walk my doggies twice a day come rain or shine.
August 11, 200917 yr I have a dog who demands to go for walkies three times a day - so I walk a lot. I also go swimming three mornings a week and I've been meaning to dig out a small step machine I bought ages ago and use that a few hours a week as well. If I didn't do any of the above I'm sure I would be obese as I love my food and so snack a lot. I would recomend getting a dog to any freelancer - not only do you ge the excercise but you also get outside into the fresh air on a regular basis - I remember times pre-dog when I was working on a project for days and never left the house - very unhealthy!
August 12, 200917 yr I work away from my house for the week, so i cycle 28 miles a day for that. Then i also cycle on the weekend. I've got a nice tour de france tan
August 12, 200917 yr Having a busy work schedule is tough but keeping in shape is important. I try to squeeze in 15-20 minutes of cardio or weight training early morning before breakfast when your body has fasted from 8 hours of sleep. The gym trainer advised that the best way to burn fats is in the morning on an empty stomach. He mentioned at first the body burns carbohydrates to when we exercise and later burns the fats when all carbos have been consumed. And I read from an article from Men's Fitness that keeping fit is 30% exercise and 70% diet habits. That the main work is in our diet. And better to eat 6 small meals rather than 3 big meals a day. I tried this routine and it works. Foods are better cooked grilled or steamed rather than fried.
August 12, 200917 yr so swimming in the morning on an empty stomach is a good thing - I'm glad I'm doing something right!
August 13, 200917 yr Just found out about this British Military Fitness Trainning Apparently its hardcore and they do it in any weather all over the country. Is it wierd that I'm quite excited about doing this!!! anyone done it before?
August 13, 200917 yr Yup - Did it in winter... Was hard at first but it gets much much easier very very quickly. The forces are now more limited to what they can do because of Health and Safety - eg you can do aero runs etc in a torrential downpour etc
August 13, 200917 yr I keep healthy by walking to the nearest post office (two villages away) to get stamps! Takes about an hour and a half through the countryside paths. Nice though
August 17, 200917 yr I just get fat. Heh, I know what you mean though OP. I used to have a 6pack rock hard stomach, now I've got just enough of a belly to feel self conscious. I bike ride a lot, surf, play baseball, and swim. I've lost a lot of weight since getting more active.
August 17, 200917 yr Wow some of you guys seem to be really fit. Erm, I go to the pub 5 times a week, smoke a hell of a lot and play the harmonica. I do absolutely nothing to keep in shape.
August 17, 200917 yr I use to go to the gym but then I just dropped that because I was saving up for a car. So I substituted gym for swimming and going back to my kickboxing! I just resumed this about a month ago and I must say I feel mighty healthy
August 17, 200917 yr I go to the gym every weekday during lunch. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays it's weights, Tuesdays and Thursdays are usually filled by running or rowing 5k. Evenings and weekends are spent running around after my 9 week old daughter.
August 17, 200917 yr I have put on so much weight recently, whenever im working hard for a deadline I normally am working through the night so the first thing I grab is something sugary. But luckily I have started to be a bit more active so I have started to shake the pounds. I must give a massive +1 to Wii Fit, it is amazing!
August 17, 200917 yr Well lucky for me i dont put weight on!! Im always just under 10stone. But i do go surfing now and again and always enjoying walking with the kids. now wheres that beer and kebab?!!
Create an account or sign in to comment