Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ampersandwich

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ampersandwich

  1. Holy crap, I haven't seen SSL certs. this cheap. In a few month I'm starting work for a client with a limited budged and a need for an SSL cert, so thanks for that. How reliable are ClickSSL?
  2. Ampersandwich replied to NiBi18's topic in Frontend
    Best solution I've found is to add a negative margin, or reduce it in pixels by the amount of your border. So as per your example, add this to the :hover state. margin: -15px 5px -10px 5px;
  3. I was going to make a joke about how it's just Word Art, then I clicked the link and realised it wouldn't have been a joke...
  4. If you're using a CMS, there's a big chance that there is either a current vulnerability with the CMS that you're using, or with a plugin. The biggest cause of this (that I have come across) are plugins that use TimThumb for resizing images. If you have any plugins that use it, remove it. Also make sure your plugins and CMS are up to date. Also, check some vulnerability sites to keep up to date on what the current ones are. There is a great one that my boss uses but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. As soon as I remember, I'll post it. [EDIT] I think it was Exploit-DB: http://www.exploit-db.com/search/?action=search&filter_description=Wordpress&filter_platform=31
  5. Design Adobe Photoshop CS5 Adobe Illustrator CS5 Adobe InDesign CS5 Sketch (only for light vector editing/creation on my Laptop) Development Chocolat (Text Editor) Transmit Flow (only from home, on personal servers - i.e. non-important work) Sequel Pro GitHub (official app) CodeKit CodeBox Hammer Misc iA Writer Kaleidoscope Virtual Box
  6. Um, I'm usually on Steam every other day. Counter Strike: GO is my main gaming obsession at the moment, anyone else play? I'm here.
  7. I personally use Chocolat for pretty much any coding. I like to have a minimal environment, as long as it has a file browsers, tabs and syntax highlighting then it's fine for me. I actually started out writing in Notepad, not Notepad++, Notepad. That's the kind of minimal I go for. I've tried many others but I just didn't get on too well with them, I even have a legit copy of Coda 1/2 and Dreamweaver at my disposal but always go back to Chocolat.
  8. Indeed I am, I'm guessing you are too?
  9. I agree with this and couldn't stress it enough; despite how much you know, there are going to be times when you'll be handed projects that you know nothing about. For example, about 8 month ago I was asked to work with an Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP). I'd never worked with an EPP before so it was all new to me but definitely a worth-while learning experience. I'd never expected to use one before then and hadn't even considered learning because of that. I'm actually not even sure if I'll need to use one again. However, I don't think it means I should have learned how to use it before then.
  10. You probably shouldn't use AddThis, it leaks page rank. Also, are your social buttons a percentage width? It sounds like you might just need to give them a 'min-width' value (if that's the case).
  11. You talk like you don't get that I am too, a PHP developer. I'm completely self-taught; taught by reading books like 'Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL vol. 2' by Jim-bob Bobbins, by reading through the PHP website/manuals, by asking questions and looking at answers. And most of all, by practise and lots of it. I can only assume you've never read a book for learning PHP development? Did even you look at the W3Fools website? It states exactly why people should avoid W3Schools, but if you want to practise bad code then feel free too. I'll just never recommend anyone to use it. And if anyone wants to learn how to use PHP's core functions, their first port-of-call should always be http://php.net - which will always be my recommendation.
  12. Ampersandwich replied to a post in a topic in Graphic Design Forum
    Depends on the idea I have, and whether it's clear and I'm certain it will work straight away. If I have difficulties getting a solid idea, or I want to look at variations quickly, I always start from the beginning with pencil (or pen) drawings. Then it's to Photoshop/Illustrator, and then if it's a website I'll code it. However, I might skip drawings and photoshop when it comes to websites, if I have clear and minimal idea that doesn't need graphics and can be done with nothing but code.
  13. That will be because of compression, I'm assuming you're saving as .jpg? And the bright, contrasting colours certainly won't help. Try saving it as a non-lossy format.
  14. And, mx5er, I suggest you ignore this piece of advice and head over to http://www.w3fools.com
  15. I don't really listen to anything specific while I work, it all depends on my mood and what I'm working on. Sometimes I don't listen to anything at all. Right now: 'What I Do' by Gavlyn
  16. I think BrowserBugs was pretty spot on for most cases. Though, if I were looking to hire a backend developer, I'd put HTML/CSS more towards the intimidate bracket. I think despite the skill set not being the primary focus of a backend dev, they're still very advantageous. Also, just to point out; not all front-end devs need to be great with Photoshop, etc. As long as they have basic working knowledge to be able to slice up a PSD (among a few other little things), then they will be fine. Most places I know of usually have a dedicated team (or person) for each area; Design, Frontend, Backend. Of course though, you do get some places where there are cross-overs.
  17. Absolutely, I agree, and I think the better quality Facebook pages have interactions like that. But there are ridiculously large amounts of people who would not hesitate to click 'Like' just because it has a high number of followers. It's a trap people seem to fall in, and very misleading. I'm not defending it though, I hate the fact that there are people out there who mislead in this way and see it as an easy route. Activity and interaction is definitely the best way to get results.
  18. Ampersandwich replied to a post in a topic in General Chat
    Oh man, I don't even know where to start. Let's just say I have a terrible sweet tooth!
  19. Haha, to be honest, I don't think think well written, handcrafted code could be replaced in our lifetime.
  20. Ampersandwich replied to Lee_K's topic in Server Side
    No worries I think I must have mis-read what you were asking for re. /#oz. Glad you have it working if that's the case!
  21. Ampersandwich replied to Lee_K's topic in Server Side
    /\d+ml\/\d+\.?\d*oz/ This should be what you're looking for. i haven't quite got the time to explain how this one works at the moment but I'll update this post in a few hours with another rundown
  22. JordanC - How much were you thinking about selling it for?
  23. Oh I completely agree, but it's still not a valid argument against Responsive Design in my opinion, as that is down to bad practice rather than the whole idea itself. It's a very weak argument that they put forward in all honesty. However, if they put the whole article forward as being about bad practices within responsive design and wrote it accordingly, then I would more than likely agree with many of their points. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. But from what I understand, that's something we agree on anyway.
  24. Ampersandwich replied to Row's topic in Server Side
    No problem. Can't take all the credit for that one, gadgetgirl get's it too
  25. Ampersandwich replied to Lee_K's topic in Server Side
    Sometimes things like that can be a bit frustrating, especially when you're starting out. Just keep at it And no problem, I'm glad that you have it working now!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.