Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ampersandwich

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ampersandwich

  1. Haha, I completely see what you mean about the clapping. I kind of thought the same as well. Personally, as someone that flies solo at times, I can still see a need for this in my work flow. I think it could take a lot of pains out of certain aspects of adapting psd to html/css. Have you tried looking at the github repo? It might be implemented there: https://github.com/adobe/brackets-app
  2. Ok I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here because I find this to be absolute bullcrap. Mobile experience is a lot different to desktop/laptop experience for a reason - it's mobile and small screen and users have known this for a long time. It's just like app vs desktop experience, no-one expects the Facebook app to be exactly the same layout as it's desktop browser counterpart just because you're view it on a mobile. A lot of users will be expecting an app-like experience for any mobile sites that they visit. So the problem isn't moving elements about, it's actually the lack of key indicators that show where these elements are. That's argument against bad design decisions, not an argument against responsive design. This is just ridiculous accountant spiel and way of thinking. "All the things" meme instantly comes to mind - "CUT COSTS OF ALL THE THINGS". So he says "how much of a return on your investment is a responsive design going to offer you?" well, if you take a look at the attached screen shot of the article on my mobile, this tells me they don't take their website serious enough to cater for my needs as a user. They've just lost me as a potential customer. No, just no! Because a website fits within a mobile screen does not mean it will work. Users don't want to be faffing about zooming their screen just to be able to read text and get the information they want. It needs to be clear enough that the user isn't squinting and scrolling pages of text just to read on Wikipedia that Johnny Cash was 71 when he died; so we present it in a read-able text size like we do on the desktop, not to mention hide elements for this need. The example and reasoning that is given is bulls**t. Responsive design doesn't just stop at mobile, it extends over to desktop as well. This is why we have media queries for different resolutions. And lazyload fits right in with the idea that the website is responding to the user, regardless of device. It caters for that and speed increase, providing a benefit for the user. Not to mention people, including myself, have worked to create network detection scripts (I know it's a plug, but it's to prove a point) to allow for speed increases by responding to the users limitations. There are no compromises when it comes to design, it's never done for our own self gratification (unless it's personal work) but for the user and always done with usability and experience in mind. He even backtracks on his 3rd point by saying "decision by the designer that the desktop display will not be optimal on mobile devices" first he says desktop designs work, now he's telling us he knows they're not optimal. Which one is it fella? </rant>
  3. I think it should always be a good point to check as many browsers as possible on both PC and Mac, not because differences in code (i.e. FF Mac vs FF PC) but because both machines offer different text rendering/smoothing. What might look absolutely beautiful on one machine (Mac), may look slightly odd on another (PC). Generally though, you can be safe to assume they will be the same but personally, I always try to make a point of doing a quick check just incase. That's just me though. As for IE, you could set up a virtual machine for your Windows test environment. If you don't fancy paying for something VMWare Fusion, you could always go for the free options. VirtualBox is a great one to use.
  4. I'm not sure if any of you have seen this but it was doing the rounds on Twitter earlier and to be quite honest, it blew me away. What do you guys think about using stuff like this to create your HTML/CSS designs from a PSD?
  5. Ampersandwich replied to Lee_K's topic in Server Side
    Don't worry about it man. What you have there is a multidimensional array. Essentially that is an array (or arrays) within any given array. You can access these by following the path of the arrays. Arrays can be broken up into two parts as such: array( KEY => VALUE ) The two parts are KEY and VALUE. The key represents the access points of the array and value is the information that the array holds. So the method of accessing the value would be as: $var[KEY] If we were to break apart a multidimensional array we would get the following: array( KEY => array( KEY2 => VALUE ) ) So, as you can see here the inset array is actually the value of the first array. To get the inset value we can string together array keys by following the path KEY -> KEY2: $var[KEY][KEY2]; This means if we take a look at your output, we can access "25ml" by doing: echo $matches[0][0]; I hope that makes sense, I have a difficult time explaining things like this in full sometimes. [EDIT] I'd also recommend that you read up on arrays and their variations to familiarise yourself with them, as you will find yourself using them a lot in PHP. It's a vital part of the language.
  6. 21" would definitely be big enough, but the extra screen real-estate that an 27" gives is great. I own a 27" myself that I do most of my work on at home, and sometimes it's a bit weird to come back to the office and work on a smaller screen. Having such a large screen might be a bit daunting at first ("takes two years to move your cursor from one side of the screen the the other", ugh) but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking into it.
  7. No but then it becomes all about the impression you give to potentials. People tend to follow a crowd so if someone see's that a high number of people like your page then they may automatically assume it's worth following/liking.
  8. Ampersandwich replied to Lee_K's topic in Server Side
    Yeah the code should work in that situation, if you use it like: <?php preg_match_all('/[0-9]{1,}ml/', $row['description'], $matches); echo $matches[0]; // [0] is going to retrieve the first result from the array. ?> What issues were you having with the code I posted?
  9. It's certainly possible, either they're doing this as HostMedia state above by paying people small amounts of money to click "like" on you're page, or they have an automated system with thousands of fake Facebook accounts. There are also "like for a like" schemes where for every "like" you click, you're page is guaranteed a "like" in return.
  10. +1 for gadgetgirls mysqli or PDO advice. It's definitely something that should be being used.
  11. It does look correct for me now It's a different machine and Safari that I'm using but here's a screenshot so you can see.
  12. No, should I know of them? (Also it seems like I've accidentally voted. Which option, I do not know.)
  13. That's right, the <div>'s within will be constrained by the #c2 boundaries.
  14. Seems to me like a lot of people are misunderstanding of what you want. An alternative to Dreamweaver with a WYSIWYG - not a Text Editor/IDE or a CMS? Much like dap said, DW can resize and crop images from within the app. After a quick search I found this, might be helpful: http://projectwoman.com/2012/06/resize-images-in-dreamweaver.html
  15. You can center align everything by adding the following to your outer-most <divs>'s (<div class="jousto"...) .jousto { margin: 0 auto; width: {YOUR_WIDTH_HERE}; } So it would be best to remove your position, top, left and z-index from your current CSS and replace it with the above. This basically assigns a browser defined margin to the left and right of your element forcing it to be centered. Quite simple really Also, regarding the Clearbox commenting, unfortunately it would take a lot of work to modify - it's possible, just a lot of work. Clearbox is written in Javascript and for something like commenting you would need to be interacting with a database. The best way for that sort of interaction would be through PHP (or another server-side language). I don't actually know any scripts off-hand that offer this but I imagine if you keep looking you will find one. Or maybe someone else here knows of one.
  16. You're absolutely right, there is a lot of information to take in. This is partly the reason why I've taken my time to write reusable frameworks for code (PHP mainly) that I need, it's just a case of remembering the function I've created and using that rather than trying time and time again to write and remember what could, sometimes, be a complex piece of code. Apps like Codebox certainly come in handy as well for remembering bits and pieces, too. I suffer from this too. When I get really into a project it seems to be all I can think about and you may as well be speaking to a brick wall. Nothing is taken in and other stuff is just completely forgotten.
  17. Ampersandwich replied to Lee_K's topic in Server Side
    My regex isn't great and I won't claim to be great at it; what you used is not too far off but what I think you're looking for is preg_match() or preg_match_all() Something like this should work how you would like: preg_match_all('/[0-9]{1,}ml/', 'lorem ipsum 20ml d0lor sit 2013 3ml', $matches); print_r($matches); $matches will hold an array of returned values, so you will end up with: array( [0] => '20ml', [1] => '3ml' ); I'll break it apart for you: [0-9] is looking for any digit between zero and nine. {1,} is asking the digit to be at least one digit in length. ml is obviously looking for "ml" With those combined it's matching the string as a whole. And so you know where you were going wrong, here's what your regex was actually seeking and replacing: [] Square brackets donate seeking for any character held within. ^ here you're saying "I want anything except the following characters..." 0-9ml the character and digit set you're seeking. So, everything is not treated as a whole but as individuals because it resides in square brackets. And as you can see, you were actually looking to replace your desired characters/digits and not other characters. Hope this helps.
  18. Ampersandwich replied to a post in a topic in General Chat
    This, always this! This seems to happened to me far too often.
  19. I also use Dreamhosts for my websites, never had any real issues with them over the past few year and they've always remained pretty solid. Having said that though, a friend has been raving about Gandi.net and I've been considering moving over to there due to this - I actually moved my domains there from 123-reg a few month ago and have never been happier about that, they were much better to work with. Also, just to note, stay clear of Fasthosts and one.com. Myself and a number of others have had many issues with them. Mainly regarding payments and extending payment periods without notice. But they're also very poor with customer service and uptime.
  20. I completely agree with Jack; if you're getting bored at a stage where interest and desire should probably be high, then design isn't going to be for you. Also, in addition to Jacks suggestion, you could just try speaking to people about your idea and take part in communities such as this one. You might meet people who are willing to help out and take on the aspects of your website that you cannot do yourself.
  21. Ampersandwich replied to Row's topic in Server Side
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. When I said your original query string didn't work for me, I meant that it produced 0 results, despite knowing that there should be 3 based on the information OP has given us. I added an entry with a 'topcat' value of NULL and no sub-categories, and it was returned as desired using the query with the WHERE clause.
  22. Because you're using "position: absolute;", the image is static to the page and only looks correct at your resolution. For me this is how it looks on my laptop: (see attached screenshot) As you can see the image overlay the actual navigation. What you need to do is apply "position: relative;" to "#c2" id. What this will allow for is the ".headfloatlogoimg" class to be constrained to "#c2", so an application of "left: 0;" will put the image to the left edge of "#c2" rather than the edge of the browser window (or <body> constraints).
  23. "var" is depreciated and from PHP 5.0.0 through to 5.1.2 it will throw an error if used with E_STRICT errors enabled. This might be where your headers/output are coming from if you're using those versions. Also, the main reason why I'm replying; please, please, PLEASE tell me that you are not solely using MD5 for your password encryption methods?! It is categorically flawed and holds many weaknesses that allow it to be easily cracked. You should be using something with a stronger encryption method, specifically with salting. See crypt() and PHPass - which actually uses crypt and takes a lot of the nitty-gritty out of using it.
  24. Ampersandwich replied to Row's topic in Server Side
    Almost, good call but it didn't work for me. However, this is what worked for me: SELECT * FROM categories WHERE id NOT IN (SELECT topcat FROM categories WHERE topcat IS NOT NULL); It was specifically the "WHERE topcat IS NOT NULL" which was needed, it's the only addition to gadgetgirl's query.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.