Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KCooper

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by KCooper

  1. Nice start. I would centre the intro blurb, and add more padding/margin inbetween the lorem ipsum sections - they feel a bit cramped at the moment. I can see its early days though, but good beginnings. Kyle
  2. Don't use it as a WYSIWIG. At least, not when your first starting out.
  3. Ahh, I was gonna suggest the same. I had a similar problem recently
  4. Sounds good dude! Like I said, I was sure that when the site is active and has all the features (proper text, jquery sliders and the like) it would become more obvious. That was just the only real feedback I could give - I like the rest of it Kyle
  5. Welcome! Kyle
  6. Yeah I'd recommend staying away from it too, mate.
  7. I used starkers for my current portfolio. I would say that perhaps it was a bit too stripped down for my needs, but it is perfect if that is what you are after.
  8. lol, same here. I was expecting something along those lines too... Just the connotation of "green" these days, I guess... might be an idea to become a "green" green website design company though I like it though, mate. Some of the images could do with being of higher quality, especially those that appear on the home page, ie; http://www.thegreenwebsitecompany.com/assets/images/banners/flash-headers/image4.jpg Kyle
  9. I really like it mate, looks good. One thing I would say is, I have no idea what the site is for. To be fair, I'm sure when you replace the "lorem ipsum" areas with actual content, it will become clearer, but looking "above the fold", as it currently stands, it doesn't really give me an indication. Kyle
  10. You could save yourself a fair chunk of money, leave Dreamweaver out of the equation, and download yourself a free version of Notepad ++. This has 2 benefits, one being its free, and the second being it will improve your coding skills ten fold. If in a few months you decide to splash out on Dreamweaver, go for it, but the chances are you won't bother, and you'll be a lot better off for going at it in a more manual, hand-coding manner. I use Photoshop on a near daily basis, and I would say if you can stretch to getting yourself a copy, go for it. As TomCash said, it is the industry standard, so will put you in a good stead if and when you decide to start applying for website designer jobs, and most tutorials you will need to find will likely use Photoshop. Saying that, if money is an issue at the moment, GIMP is a free alternative. I haven't used it, but I have heard good things. Kyle
  11. Welcome! Kyle
  12. Welcome! This forum is great, helped me out a ton! Kyle
  13. Yep, lol. Its a right pain in the ass
  14. First things first find a good book/online tutorial (there are plenty of each) on HTML and CSS. This is essential, and the more time you spend on fully getting to grips with these 2 technologies, the better. Get to grips with Photoshop (or fireworks, GIMP, whichever you prefer) so that you can mockup some website designs. Then practice turning the website mockup designs into valid HTML and CSS code. Start looking into jquery, and implementing some simple effects into your newly coded up websites. From here, practice, practice, practice; make simple websites for yourself, or offer to create some for friends/family/local businesses on the cheap, or even free. This should help keep you motivated. Kyle
  15. Proper old-school Kyle
  16. Yeah I remember the Gateway 2000's. And Tiny PC's. My first PC was a packard bell... 450mhz, 64mb ram, p3 processor. It was actually a beast when I got it, lol. Kyle
  17. lol, same here. Takes me back a couple of years actually just thinking about it! I generally download at about 180kb/sec, not quite as impressive lol. Though, if I ever start thinking "this sucks", my mind harks back to the days of 56k. I swear, the sound of the dial up connecting still sends shivers down my spine. It still somehow manages to make me smile thinking about it, lol.
  18. If its literally just theming a wordpress blog page to fit into the style of a current website, between £200 - £300 I would say. Depends on the complexity of the design though.
  19. Looking good dude, I like it. On the portfolio page, I'd be tempted to add a piece of text like "click here for more info" or something under each website example. Before I clicked it I assumed it would either open a full sized image, or take me straight to the site. I liked that you have detailed what the project consisted of when you click through, some people might not realise the information is there. I would also look to add an :active effect to the navigation links in the footer too. Just to add to the sites completeness. Only a small thing, and more of a personal preference than a necessity. Good job overall Kyle
  20. It varies, I have quite an eclectic taste. Anywhere from Oasis to Metallica to Dire Straits to Johnny Cash. Recently I have been listening to a lot of Frank Turner. Sometimes I find having music on too distracting if I'm really try to concentrate on a particular piece of code, though for the pure design aspects some ambient music is almost a necessity Kyle
  21. Yeah that would be good. Or at least some text next to the "+" to indicate what clicking the plus will do.
  22. Yeah it definately does, just tried it out with Ben, then refreshed the page and ta-da!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.