Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Good Wordpress starter theme

Featured Replies

Can anyone suggest a good free wordpress theme to use as a framework for a portfolio site, not a blog? As striped as possible but has all the bare bones.

 

Thank you

I would say the twentyten theme is pretty stripped. Just make a copy of it and start playing away editing parts, I think thats the best way of learning.

  • Author

Thanks, I'm giving Starkers ago. Do you just delete the blog related stuff or leave it in just incase you ever need it?

 

I like your site Mark!

I used starkers for my current portfolio. I would say that perhaps it was a bit too stripped down for my needs, but it is perfect if that is what you are after.

  • 3 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest a good free wordpress theme to use as a framework for a portfolio site, not a blog? As striped as possible but has all the bare bones.

 

Thank you

 

Starkers is Twenty Ten stripped. Or you could try Justin Tadlock's Hybrid Core.

I've been using Starkers, but I'm starting to find that I'm stripping out and adding in a couple of things to suit my needs each time, so I may end up creating my own basic framework.

 

That said, I think Starkers is the best bet to get going with, it leaves just enough stuff to be usable while forcing you to learn how to add in the stuff you really need.

 

For a portfolio site you will want to learn how Custom Post Types and possibly Custom Taxonomies work in 3.0/3.1. Should be very straightforward if you have a little PHP knowledge.

all these themes are OVER USED!

 

Pray tell how a theme framework can be overused? I mean it's not like the end user ever gets to see them (i hope). BTW the <body> tag is sooooo over used to!

 

Anyway, another vote for starkers here :)

Edited by MikeChipshop

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.