Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My new internet connection

Featured Replies

Very nice, although I wish it wouldn't display it as MB.

6.68MB/sec is my best via Transmission for Mac. Top that show-off! ;)

I believe the MB on transmission is Megabytes/sec, not megabits - though I may be wrong.

 

Edit: Our area is getting 75mbit/sec soon enough - a test area in the UK. I honestly don't know why ... we'll leave it at that :p

Edited by andyl

More of a Mb man then?

 

I work for an ISP and trying to explain the difference to angry customers is a nightmare.

6.68MB/sec is my best via Transmission for Mac. Top that show-off! ;)

I believe the MB on transmission is Megabytes/sec, not megabits - though I may be wrong.

 

Edit: Our area is getting 75mbit/sec soon enough - a test area in the UK. I honestly don't know why ... we'll leave it at that :p

 

Data is stored in bytes and transferred in bits, or so they say not that it makes it any faster or slower. 8 bits to a byte.

 

I get 3Mb/s thats right bits... :(

Data is stored in bytes and transferred in bits, or so they say not that it makes it any faster or slower. 8 bits to a byte.

 

I get 3Mb/s thats right bits... :(

Indeed, I've done a fair bit (hah...) on bits and bytes - can't say it's the most thrilling topic.

I think the max theoretical transfer rate on this is 6400KB/s

 

You on cable or ADSL?

  • Author

Cable, according to the modem its 6.31809234619141 MB/s but a guy I'm talking to on msn says torrents are unreliable for speed tests as they are slow to update the peer transfer speeds.

Yeah we rely on our equipment or on download tests from reliable servers. I work for Karoo in Hull. It’s the only ISP in the area, apart for a few small recent start ups. As you can imagine the customers don’t like not having a choice.

Yeah we rely on our equipment or on download tests from reliable servers. I work for Karoo in Hull. It’s the only ISP in the area, apart for a few small recent start ups. As you can imagine the customers don’t like not having a choice.

 

It's not too bad when Hobson's choice is so good - I'm on Eclipse and I swear by it.

It's not too bad when Hobson's choice is so good - I'm on Eclipse and I swear by it.

 

Eclipse is owned by the same company as Karoo, KCOM. Because there is no choice people do get an outstanding customer service. Not that i'm bias...

Indeed, I've done a fair bit (hah...) on bits and bytes - can't say it's the most thrilling topic.

 

lol, same here. Takes me back a couple of years actually just thinking about it!

 

I generally download at about 180kb/sec, not quite as impressive lol. Though, if I ever start thinking "this sucks", my mind harks back to the days of 56k. I swear, the sound of the dial up connecting still sends shivers down my spine. It still somehow manages to make me smile thinking about it, lol.

 

56K was positive luxury. I can remember days of what was then called 1200 baud, pre-internet, using a service called Telecom Gold to send files to the other side of the world.

lol, same here. Takes me back a couple of years actually just thinking about it!

 

I generally download at about 180kb/sec, not quite as impressive lol. Though, if I ever start thinking "this sucks", my mind harks back to the days of 56k. I swear, the sound of the dial up connecting still sends shivers down my spine. It still somehow manages to make me smile thinking about it, lol.

 

 

I remember that sound well, it always used to remind me of the loading sounds from a ZX Spectrum game on cassette tape loading too (now I'm showing my age :D ).

 

I'm with Virgin, on the 10Mbit/s service, so my download speeds are OK (till I hit the throttling limit :diablo: ). I'm thinking of getting rid of Virgin and going with Sky. We have the TV, broadband and phone package, but Sky is looking more appealing all the time.

Internet after 6 was the rule in our house. BT was cheaper at this time at the time of 56k.

I remember that noise all too well - it reminds of the early days of Microsoft Messenger on a Gateway 2000.

Gateway 2000.....my first home PC's. ICQ was all the rage back then.

Yeah I remember the Gateway 2000's. And Tiny PC's.

 

My first PC was a packard bell... 450mhz, 64mb ram, p3 processor. It was actually a beast when I got it, lol.

 

 

Kyle

I can remember days of what was then called 1200 baud, pre-internet, using a service called Telecom Gold to send files to the other side of the world.

Yes, Zed, and that was incredibly cool then. Indeed.

Bah, you n00bs don't know you're born. I remember when we had to send punch cards chipped into stone tablets by courier. On a horse.

Edited by Renaissance-Design

Bah, you n00bs don't know you're born. I remember when we had to send punch cards chipped into stone tablets by courier. On a horse.

 

Proper old-school ;)

 

 

Kyle

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.