Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marketing Questions

Featured Replies

Hello,

 

I have started my web design business in Warwick and I am looking to gain local clients. However I have a lot of competition and not a massive budget for market.

 

If anyone is kind enough to share how they marketed their services and gained new local clients. I have 4 books on marketing and I am reading about targeting your audience and sending out 'lumpy mail' but I would like to get to know local start ups etc.

 

In general I do not mind with whom I do business with, I just need to gain clients!!

 

Thanks for any help in advance,

 

Ben.

In general I do not mind with whom I do business with, I just need to gain clients!!

 

That's a really bad attitude, and you'll need to shake it if you're going to succeed. Firstly, because you should take responsibility for what you put into the world. Have standards, and you'll attract better clients. Don't work on anything you don't agree with ethically.

 

Secondly, pre-bid discussions are when you need to be weeding out those who look like they'll be bad clients: those who pay late, quibble over your prices (pro tip: your price is never negotiable, only the amount of work you spec into the job), those who want to make endless revisions until your work matches their subjective preferences or want the moon on a stick for pennies.

 

Never take on bad terms just to get a job. There are worse things than being poor. Namely, being poor and owing someone your time.

Edited by Renaissance-Design

The major problem with most people is they learn all the ins and outs of web design and development but skim over business.

 

Web design business needs to be treated like every other business.

There's a couple of steps you need to complete in order to attract and keep clients.

 

Work on your portfolio, make sure there is a wide selection of styles and work available to view. Make sure you have good contact options and that these are easily findable on your portfolio. Sign up to the popular social networks, don't get me wrong, you're unlikely to make many clients directly via Facebook and the like but the ability to create social signals with these networks is undoubtedly helpful.

Make sure you interact with people via Twitter etc but make these interactions quality interactions. Be helpful and knowledgeable.

 

Approach potential clients, be friendly and professional, leave the hard sale at home. No one wants it.

Look at local businesses, research their markets, know a little about them when you pay them a visit. Pay them a visit in person, phones are fine for more long distance chats but nothing beats face to face discussions.

 

Never under sell yourself but never be arrogant.

You may know exactly what you're talking about but your clients probably don't. Explain that if they need to know more or need help, then to drop you a mail. Be approachable.

 

Once you get a few jobs through the door make sure to get them done on time (well, the deadline you suggested and agreed to).

Make sure everything is contracted and signed off. Also make sure deposits have been paid and that final payments are made before goods are handed over.

 

All of the above will make the process much smoother thus your clients will be pleased with the results and recommend you onwards.

I'd say 80% of my work comes from word of mouth so it's very important to keep the circle turning.

That's a really bad attitude, and you'll need to shake it if you're going to succeed. Firstly, because you should take responsibility for what you put into the world. Have standards, and you'll attract better clients. Don't work on anything you don't agree with ethically.

 

Secondly, pre-bid discussions are when you need to be weeding out those who look like they'll be bad clients: those who pay late, quibble over your prices (pro tip: your price is never negotiable, only the amount of work you spec into the job), those who want to make endless revisions until your work matches their subjective preferences or want the moon on a stick for pennies.

 

+1.

 

Personally I would rather have no work, than a nightmare client and nightmare clients are 5 a penny.

 

However I dont freelance so I am fortunate enough to pick and choose my clients to a degree.

Edited by jamesosix

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.