Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Finally ready, what you think?

Featured Replies

Hi

 

I just finished the layout of my new project, some of you migt have seen this already in an earlier stage.

 

All i need to do now is adding original content to my blog, reviews and tutorial area.s.

 

What do you think of this site.??

 

My Blog

 

thanks in advance.

Edited by seedism

  • Author

Lol...that is how much of a newbie i am.

 

Didnt really know which/how many actual browsers there are, and that I had an OS in my browser links.

 

This is just my second website.

 

I will remove that link then...lol

 

thanks.

 

P.

Edited by seedism

I really like it nice site man!

I love that footer didnt really notice it was all a wall with the skirting and floor (ill have to pinch that) ;) lol

 

Would have been better I think if you done it with a notice board hanging on the wall maybe then all them boxes could have been pinned post its or something maybe as I think they look a bit out of placed or just put there after you ran out of ideas

 

Oh and just to be anal :

 

http://grabthatcode.com/useit.html

 

You have a mac keyboard but highlighted CTRL + C to copy, on a mac its CMD+C ;)

Edited by pandadoodle

the CSS Only Gallery could be better. The main images that sit on top of one another aren't in the same place so you get a 'jump' effect.

  • Author
been better I think if you done it with a notice board hanging on the wall

 

Actually, I am cutting out lots of frames already, classical painting frames, windows etc. trying out lots, but hoping to find the right combination.

 

I will need to get the right balance between cheesy and structured.

 

on a mac its CMD+C

 

Did not know that, never sat behind a mac actually.

 

I have been looking for a while now on how to get a button to copy the text working.

There is the flash SWF option which seems to be the only option that works in all browsers but I am not settling for that yet.

 

My biggest problem is that inside that element, where you need CTRL+C/CMD+C, you can not use the right mouse button?

the menu disappears when I hover over the mouse menu.

 

the CSS Only Gallery could be better.

 

I agree there Zed, although I have not noticed the images being badly aligned, I think I know where I messed up there and will fix it, thanks.

 

To be honest, the gallery page was a rush job, I will spend some time adding nicer galleries.

 

This is realistically just my second site, and I have not yet finished reading my book on HTML, next chapter is Javascript.

 

But first I will concentrate on making the visual layout a bit better, create more visual hierarchy, remove some of the shadow and start on my first blog contents.

 

Please let those comments coming, I need all the help I can get.

 

I love that footer didnt really notice it was all a wall with the skirting and floor (ill have to pinch that)

 

That actually means a lot coming from somebody with talent .thx

 

P.H.

  • Author

That just made me realize.

 

Jobs = Apple = CMD = command = In Command

 

Gates = MS = CTRL = control = In Control

 

Luckily they both have a power on/off button.

I like the site, though i think you could add a small space between the header and the top of the page, but i think its more personal preference

right click, mac, whats that ? ;)

 

Unless you set it up in the settings right click is done by holding CTRL+ Clicking mouse button

The layout is real nice, but maybe you need an explanation at the top of the page? Because I didn't understand what it was about.

The layout is pretty good, however... the XHMTL/CSS code really needs some work.

 

Your offering a great concept, but the code *really* needs to be spot on.

Firstly, it should be semantic.

Secondly, you need to understand the differences between ID and Class - you've got multiple cases of using an ID more than once.

Thirdly, you need to learn the 'cascade' in 'cascading style sheets' - there's a LOT of wasted code in the site, that's difficult to maintain.

 

An example of this, would be your content classes and ID's - they are all over the place.

 

.Content_360px {
float: left;
width: 320px;
margin-left: 20px;
margin-top: 20px;
background-image: url(../Images/darkBlock.png);
background-repeat: repeat;
overflow: hidden;
border-radius: 20px;
padding: 20px;
}
.Content_360px_NoMargin {
float: left;
width: 320px;
margin-top: 20px;
background-image: url(../Images/darkBlock.png);
background-repeat: repeat;
overflow: hidden;
border-radius: 20px;
padding: 20px;
margin-bottom: 20px;
}

 

So, both these classes do *exactly* the same thing, with the exception of the margin.

 

So why not:

 

.Content_360px {
float: left;
width: 320px;
margin-left: 20px;
margin-top: 20px;
background-image: url(../Images/darkBlock.png);
background-repeat: repeat;
overflow: hidden;
border-radius: 20px;
padding: 20px;
}
.Content_360px.NoMargin {
margin-left: 0px;
}

 

Semantically, it's still bad, but it's an improvement.

 

You've now extended the a class, with one that has a slight difference.

In your XHTML markup:

 

<div class="Content_360px NoMargin">
</div>

 

 

The only reason I'm critiquing this, is because it's what your site is about - snippets of code.

The code needs to be neater, semantic, compact, re-usable and basically, best of breed, otherwise your leading people down the wrong path in terms of good coding.

Edited by bb_matt

  • Author

Hi bb_Matt

 

I agrre the code should be as clean as possible, I am still learning to code myself and agree that getting bad code is not a good start for others using my site.

 

Will attend the issue straight away and clean up, thanks.

 

P.H.

  • Author

Hi LoveLock

 

Yep, will do.

 

When I learned 6 months ago that the web is all in 72 dpi, I all of a sudden could not think in a higher resolution anymore.

 

I will redo the logo in 300dpi and then re-size.

 

Thanks for that, completely looked over this.

 

P.H.

Hi LoveLock

 

Yep, will do.

 

When I learned 6 months ago that the web is all in 72 dpi, I all of a sudden could not think in a higher resolution anymore.

 

I will redo the logo in 300dpi and then re-size.

 

Thanks for that, completely looked over this.

 

P.H.

then you learnt something that was wrong. the web (when it's on screen) is one pixel to one pixel: changing the resolution in your graphics application makes no difference to the way it looks on screen or to the filesize for web use. changing it to 300 ppi will make no difference to screen display (that's Pixels per inch when it's displayed in your graphics application, DPI - dots per inch when it's been printed)

 

http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

 

edit: your logo looks a bit poor because it's over-compressed and the wrong format. photographic/complex images with gradients should be jpegs, everything else should be gif or 8-bit png (or possibly png-32, but not in this case)

 

it's amazing that this myth of screen dpi for the web is still knocking around, and that people (who purport to have some knowledge of the web) still don't know when to use a jpeg vs gif/png :)

 

 

critique:

typo on first page "This site is meant to be an easy and helpfull tool..."

 

the background and colour scheme made me think of a poker site ;)

 

favicon

 

missing apostrophe "Use any of following the links to go directely to your browsers upgrade page." and spelling mistakes... er "menu's" should be "menus" think you might need to proofread your site :)

 

lot of coding (validation errors) and lack of alt attributes

 

anyway a few things to work on to make it even better

Edited by dap

  • Author

Hi Dap

 

Thanks for the heads up on the JPG/PNG issue.

 

i still have a lot to learn.

 

I am working on the coding errors, cleaning it up and such, will be better soon.

 

Since I am not originally English there are some (a lot of) typo mistakes that will be addressed by my (english) wife when she finds the time.

 

P.H.

  • Author

Born and raised in Holland, living in the UK, hoping to move to Vancouver in a year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.