Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

vista pretty much sucks...

Featured Replies

hey, well i just got a dell xps m1530 for xmas and it came with vista, witin one week it kept shutting down randomly, slow, laggy and all around horrible. I just cant believe that microshaft would release such a crappy buggy OS. Anyway Im back to my beloved XP. And my laptop is faster and better than ever.

hey, well i just got a dell xps m1530 for xmas and it came with vista, witin one week it kept shutting down randomly, slow, laggy and all around horrible. I just cant believe that microshaft would release such a crappy buggy OS. Anyway Im back to my beloved XP. And my laptop is faster and better than ever.

 

i can relate dude.. what i do is dual boot. i have both XP and vista on my laptop and in my desktop pc.

Vista is a pain (and doesn't delete folders :p ) if you are connected to the net then the random shut-down is due to automatic updates...sometimes you get a pop up box saying it will be shutting down in so many minutes (normally 5), save all your work, But this can be cancelled to restart when you are ready. There is a way to switch this off as I did it, but I can't remember how to sorry :(

 

If you can't believe Microsoft would release a buggy OS you should try ME now that is buggy.

I like vista, ok its buggy, and sometimes a bit slow (sometimes faster too), but the new service pack will sort out alot of this. I like the new functions and searches. The theme looks nice and I like the sidebar. Sure I have the occasionaly problem with software and drivers not working, and its annoying, but overall I quite like it. I had just as much problems with drivers and software when using XP 64bit, if not more than vista 64.

Vista is a pain (and doesn't delete folders :p ) if you are connected to the net then the random shut-down is due to automatic updates...sometimes you get a pop up box saying it will be shutting down in so many minutes (normally 5), save all your work, But this can be cancelled to restart when you are ready. There is a way to switch this off as I did it, but I can't remember how to sorry :(

 

If you can't believe Microsoft would release a buggy OS you should try ME now that is buggy.

 

 

It shouldn't automaticly shut down. The box is asking if you want to shut down now or be reminded later on. (Fortunately this can now be set to a few hours as oppose to XP's pestering you every 10.)

 

 

ME? *ugh* Please let that dog be dead an buried. *shivers*

Windows has been stable since Win2000. Vista got it's quirks now, but so did XP when it hit the street. At least they're getting better at it 'cause was less issues and better drivers with Vista than with XP.

I like vista, ok its buggy, and sometimes a bit slow (sometimes faster too), but the new service pack will sort out alot of this. I like the new functions and searches. The theme looks nice and I like the sidebar. Sure I have the occasionaly problem with software and drivers not working, and its annoying, but overall I quite like it. I had just as much problems with drivers and software when using XP 64bit, if not more than vista 64.

 

You run Vista 64bit now? Any major show stoppers? I've been awaiting going 64bit, but I'm getting tempted. From what I hear and read it's getting better. I'd really like to be able to stuff more RAM into the box as I do alot of of 3D work.

Ive had no problems with vista. just that id like 64 bit wifi drivers.

It shouldn't automaticly shut down. The box is asking if you want to shut down now or be reminded later on. (Fortunately this can now be set to a few hours as oppose to XP's pestering you every 10.)

 

 

The box on mine has a count down which says it will be shutting down in (then the count down). Make sure you have saved all your work. Then a box that says to shut down in x amount of time or just wait. But this box isn't a automatically always top of windows box, its just a plain old box in normal order so you could miss it (like I almost did the first time)

I'm saving my money for Windows 7 (out Sep 09).

 

The whole concept of Vista annoys me, microsoft just adding on another layer to its software and not dealing with the underlying issues. I want my machine to live up to its specs! Microsoft is capable of amazing things, Visual Studio is such a clever piece of software, so is Office 2007, and MS Research does wonders, I just wish they put as much thought into their OS's. I guess I should become a linux user but I'm too comfortable with my software and cannot be bothered with all the configing, so if Windows 7 sucks too, I shall be becoming a Mac user!

Microsoft is capable of amazing things

 

No they can't. They're too engrained in their old ways that they are powerless (to a greater or lesser degree) to actually do what is needed. Evidence of this (if you needed it) is the number of version of Vista available at launch. They couldn't even decide on what the home or a corporate user wants!

 

Also just look at the debate regarding IE8! They're too scared to try something different and leading edge that they end up with crap software, that doesn't really meet the needs of their user base.

XP was just as buggy and crap...but it seems stable - no important updates required to install anymore.

No they can't. They're too engrained in their old ways that they are powerless (to a greater or lesser degree) to actually do what is needed. Evidence of this (if you needed it) is the number of version of Vista available at launch. They couldn't even decide on what the home or a corporate user wants!

 

Also just look at the debate regarding IE8! They're too scared to try something different and leading edge that they end up with crap software, that doesn't really meet the needs of their user base.

 

 

Errr... I gave examples of the things I was refering to. Visual Studio is great software, MS Research churns out some gold. I totally agree that Vista sucks... as do most of their OS's compared to what is POSSIBLE... that was the argument I was making :huh:

You run Vista 64bit now? Any major show stoppers? I've been awaiting going 64bit, but I'm getting tempted. From what I hear and read it's getting better. I'd really like to be able to stuff more RAM into the box as I do alot of of 3D work.

 

Yeah, I've been running 64bit OS for about 2 years now. Most things run pretty well on it. Sometimes they don't though, for example apache, unless they have updated it recently wouldn't run on XP64, haven't tried vista. Occasionally drivers wont work, but this is usually with cheaper or older hardware. The only problem I have had it keyboard drivers (no big deal really) and a USB PCI expansion card that wouldnt work on Vista.

 

Maya worked fine, though had a few little bugs, though its been over 6 months since I used it. Often I will flick from vista theme to classic as some software doesnt run properly with the 'skin' (like flash).

 

Hopefully we will see some big updates in SP1 (which I have been told that we will by a beta tester friend of mine).

 

As for people saying Microsoft should have made Vista 'better'. I do believe this is the last OS to run on this kernel, unfortunatly,, if you want something revolutionary in an OS, your old software may not work, especially if that are changing how the OS fundamentally works. Would you be happy on a new OS if none of your software would work (or at least until developers get their ass in gear and update, and given that its taken over 3 years for 64bit software from some companies, I am sceptical), but the OS was awesome and completely bug free?

 

I know I probably don't have all my facts right, but I havn't been so up to date, and some is hear-say too :p

The box on mine has a count down which says it will be shutting down in (then the count down). Make sure you have saved all your work. Then a box that says to shut down in x amount of time or just wait. But this box isn't a automatically always top of windows box, its just a plain old box in normal order so you could miss it (like I almost did the first time)

 

Very strange how the experience differs. I assume you get a window like this: http://www.windowsvistaweblog.com/wp-conte...istarestart.jpg

 

I've never seen that window until I googled it. I've only ever had this one: http://www.publicvoid.dk/content/binary/Wi...pdate_thumb.png

 

I wonder what causes the difference.

Dizi: http://softwarex-nz.blogspot.com/2008/01/s...uto-reboot.html

Similar for XP: http://blogs.msdn.com/tim_rains/archive/20.../15/257877.aspx

 

If you don't want to mess with the registry you can set the Windows Update settings to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them"

Yes that's the window I get :) see its not just a figment of my little imagination :D

 

Thanks for the links :) it hasn't happened for a while, I am guessing I am up to date now on the major updates, so this will be useful for when they decide they need to rest my pc while I am working again.

I'm in the middle of deciding to get a new desktop(currently using a zooped up 3 year old laptop) and the Vista issue has been bugging me. Especially when you have the lure of a 64bit system and the need to run apache as local host.

 

I would preferable just like to plug and play and get down to the gritty stuff without having to stress over install problems.

 

One of the things I've been considering is going Linux and getting some kind of virtual PC system that would allow me to run Linux at the core, with XP and Vista on the top. I need to look into that more before I go for it as I've not used a linux OS before.

Download and burn a copy of Ubuntu. Then boot up you computer with that disc and you can try it out without having to install it.

I got Ubuntu on one of my old computer. It's come much easier to get running the last couple of years. LAMP installation is done by ticking a couple of checkboxes and it does it all for you.

 

Since I had a spare computer I use that instead of a virtual PC. I got a program installed called Synergy that lets me control the linux box with the mouse and keyboard plugged into my windows box. You move the cursor from one computer to another seamlessly. That way I can work with both OS's without the overhead of running virtual PCs.

LAMP installation is done by ticking a couple of checkboxes and it does it all for you.

not entirely true - you need to use the Synaptic package manager (in System -> Admin* -> Synaptic Package Manager) and install various packages:

- apache2

- php5

- mysql-5.0 (client & server)

- libapache2-mod-php5

- php5-mysql

- phpmyadmin

- various other php libraries all named php*

 

and you also need to CHMOD the /var/www to a writable option - I just 777 it recursiveky :D

Vista is a pain, stick to XP theres an SP3 coming.

 

Plus Vista for designing sites is THE worst platform in the world, as its slow (even on high specish machines) and you have to have either vista biz or vista ulti to be able to download a virtual version of XP and run IE6 on it.

 

PAIN IN LA DERRIERE.

not entirely true - you need to use the Synaptic package manager (in System -> Admin* -> Synaptic Package Manager) and install various packages:

- apache2

- php5

- mysql-5.0 (client & server)

- libapache2-mod-php5

- php5-mysql

- phpmyadmin

- various other php libraries all named php*

 

and you also need to CHMOD the /var/www to a writable option - I just 777 it recursiveky :D

 

hmm.. I imagined I found a package that did all that for me... ..maybe I was dreaming...

Vista is a pain, stick to XP theres an SP3 coming.

 

Plus Vista for designing sites is THE worst platform in the world, as its slow (even on high specish machines) and you have to have either vista biz or vista ulti to be able to download a virtual version of XP and run IE6 on it.

 

PAIN IN LA DERRIERE.

Vista SP1 has just gone RTM and will be rolled out in about a month. Should have some nice improvement.

Vista is fine for designing. I even do 3D modelling without any trouble.

 

As for VirtualPC; I've heard that while the other Vista versions isn't officially supported, VPC can still be installed.

How is it's support for other programs? I've heard more horror stories than good with Vista, is this still the case. What are the main reasons not too upgrade?

 

I think program support and speed issues is what is stopping me form upgrading, is 2 Gig a recomended minimum?

Vista is pretty bad, i've been using it since RC2 and to be honest it hasn't really improved much since last January. I'm hoping SP2 will improve thigns a little bit but right now it's slow. It's very stable though, i've only had it crash maybe twice but it's got a lot of strange networking flairs. For example if I put the machine into sleep and then wake it again the next morning the computer loses it's DNS and can't find it again unless i restart.

 

I usually just run with the Windows classic interface and not Aero as it runs even slower with Aero. It's a bit ridiculous that a dual core CPU with 2GB of RAM and a good GPU can take about 5 seconds to generate the right click context menu :rolleyes: .

That doesn't sound good cabbage. From what yoursaying unless SP2 fixes alot of the problems ou mention, then I can't see a good reason to upgrade. Regarding your DNS problem, have you tried going into command prompt and typing ipconfig /renew ?

 

Shame Aeroglass is so resource hungry, it's a lovely effect.

Tried flushing and renewing DNS numerous times. I used to be on a networking degree before i changed to a multimedia graphics degree and it's really got me stumped. It's a shame Vista is so resource hungry though as it's got some really nice features. For example you can change volume settings on a program by program basis. UAC is ridiculous though and i'd highly recommend using Vista with it switched off, unless you really don't know what you're doing :rolleyes:.

Vista is a pain, stick to XP theres an SP3 coming.

 

Plus Vista for designing sites is THE worst platform in the world, as its slow (even on high specish machines) and you have to have either vista biz or vista ulti to be able to download a virtual version of XP and run IE6 on it.

 

PAIN IN LA DERRIERE.

 

On XP I run multiple IE's for website testing so I know my sites work in IE 5.5, 6 and 7.

It doesn't work for vista but there's a page about trying to run IE 6 on vista here which may be useful instead of having to run XP virtually?

Tried flushing and renewing DNS numerous times. I used to be on a networking degree before i changed to a multimedia graphics degree and it's really got me stumped. It's a shame Vista is so resource hungry though as it's got some really nice features. For example you can change volume settings on a program by program basis. UAC is ridiculous though and i'd highly recommend using Vista with it switched off, unless you really don't know what you're doing :rolleyes: .

Aye. I tweak system settings so often that the UAC is a pain. I prefer the way OSX and Linux does it where it elevates your privileges for a session as oppose to every bleeding time.

Though, my parents are getting a new computer soon, which I have to configure ofcourse. I think I'll try to leave the UAC on. I don't see them doing much that'll trigger it.

 

One of the things I like best with Vista is that it's capable of recovering from faulty graphics drivers. It restarts the driver instead of doing a BSOD. Graphic card driver's has been one of the most common causes of BSODs on previous Windows versions.

 

Designer Karly: The mileage of backwards compatibility varies. I haven't had much trouble with it. Had some issues with Logitech products where Logitech doesn't bother to provide drivers. (And until recently Sony Ericsson) Using it since Beta 2.

On XP I run multiple IE's for website testing so I know my sites work in IE 5.5, 6 and 7.

It doesn't work for vista but there's a page about trying to run IE 6 on vista here which may be useful instead of having to run XP virtually?

 

When running side-by-side installation of IE5-7, isn't there some things that doesn't work? I had problems getting it to work would often crash on me, so I moved to VPC instead. But I imagine remembering that conditional comments didn't work. Something which made it harder to test my sites as I relied on CC to tweak the site for IE.

Well it's just microsoft. I don't remember a product they made that actually was good as and OS... I'm just chained cause most stuff doesn't like Linux...

Sorry I do not understand.....

 

What is this Vista you speak of?

Sorry I do not understand.....

 

What is this Vista you speak of?

 

 

 

An OS that monkeys in the zoo use. Pretty nice indeed.Crashes more than win 95

An OS that monkeys in the zoo use. Pretty nice indeed.Crashes more than win 95

 

 

My 300 year old PowerBook G4 does not suffer any of these problems!!!!!!!!!

You wouldn't buy a car on the promise of the wheels being sent to you at a later date (do Microsoft call them service packs or something?)

 

It's not like they don't have the resources to make it happen...

  • 5 months later...

I ahad Vista and Photoshop and Illustrator have so many issues wit Vista, especially when opperating 75MB+ PSDs and AI files which im doing consistently... I wiped Vista and installed XP SP2 and my PC Flies!

 

Intel P4 - 3.3Ghz

2GB RAM

On-Board Graphics

 

and i cn throw Flash + 2/3 decent size PSDS and surf the web with no lag...under XP and not vista

Well, I'd first say: Get a mac. I want to.

 

But yeah, my vista has no problems...every so offen it might crash...but there like months apart. I've got: 3.3gb ram and a core 2 duo processor. I like it better than xp in some ways.

 

But if i was offered a Mac or a Vista i'd go mac all the way!!

But if i was offered a Mac or a Vista i'd go mac all the way!!

So if you were offered a Mac (a whole computer) you would take it over Vista (operating system), it is a fairly obvious answer.

 

Vista works, it is made for so many different configurations it is bound to have problems at some points.

 

I have used Vista, but I personally prefer XP. Not because Vista is bad, it just doesn't do anything else that XP doesn't do.

 

I have had limited exposure to Macs and would like to try one but not at the price Apple want. The thing about Macs that puts me off is the stereotype Mac user, you know the one, the one that thinks they are the best and that Apple are angel-like in the business world and like to cuddle up to Google. They are the sort of people that love the smell of their own farts (I draw your attention to the South Park episode with the hybrids, that is how I see Mac users and it puts me off.)

I use vista and have not had any problems - I has done a blue screen twice but I deliberately caused it...

 

I find it micer than my mac so use it more

hey, well i just got a dell xps m1530 for xmas and it came with vista, witin one week it kept shutting down randomly, slow, laggy and all around horrible. I just cant believe that microshaft would release such a crappy buggy OS. Anyway Im back to my beloved XP. And my laptop is faster and better than ever.

 

 

Same here.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.