Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CS4 now out :)

Featured Replies

Saw an add today announcing the release of CS4... I dunno how long its been out for but am just wondering how many of you are thinking of upgrading?

I don't see the need. CS3 products are far from short of features, so I'm not ready to spend that amount of money to get CS4... maybe in a few years when that's the norm, but for now, my answer would have to be no.

 

Brendan ^_^

no need as yet. I have a large cohort who refuse to upgrade from CS2

I have pre-ordered my copy of CS4, student version of course ;) lol...

 

 

It is due to be shipped around the 14th Nov...

Yes, buy the programs.

 

I got mine in the mail through Adobe on the 17th. They were officially released on the 15th.

 

After using them almost a week I do have to say that this is the biggest and by far the BEST upgrade ever in the history of Adobe (I've been using adobe products for a while now).

 

The new features aren't little "nice to have" things like CS3. They are workflow changes.

 

I recommend everyone to upgrade if they have the money

No way only bought CS3 pack earlier in the year. Really no need, haven't come across anything that I want to do and can't do yet in the Web CS3 pack.

 

Proverbial cash cow springs to mind. Damn good product though...CS3 as well..

 

Maybe in 5 years...

 

:flm7:

Nathan - I'm getting some odd stuff at bottom of your webpage

 

"Smilies Army theme designed by Cheap Dedicated Servers, Coded by Bad Credit Auto Loans, tested by "

 

Firefox on the Mac...

 

:flm7:

i am sticking to my beloved CS3 for a while... already saving up for something .... http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/12wx.cfm

 

maybe when i get some paid work i will put the money aside for CS4 (or just completely wait for CS5) - thinking of upgrading to the masters anyway.... one day :)

I'll be buying it - probably in November or December as I have a few other things to pay for first.

 

I do agree that the initial outlay is horrendously expensive. However, if you make money out of building websites and designing things, then once you are an existing customer the upgrade path is significantly less expensive. And really, software is pretty much the only costs my business incurs so £600 every 18 months or so is acceptable to keep me in with the latest and greatest software.

I have pre-ordered my copy of CS4, student version of course ;) lol...

 

 

It is due to be shipped around the 14th Nov...

 

I am under the assumption that the student version of adobe is just for learning practicing and not for commercial use ?

I am under the assumption that the student version of adobe is just for learning practicing and not for commercial use ?

 

 

Yup you cannot use these for commercial use as stated a lot on their website. Here is what is written on the first page of the student section:

 

Adobe Student Edition software is for installation solely on private computers and for noncommercial purposes only. Please note the conditions of eligibility and usage.

 

and just so they get the point across it is written in a lot of their FAQ answers:

 

Does the Student Edition have restricted functionality?

 

* No, however, Adobe Student Edition software is for installation solely on private computers and for noncommercial purposes only.

 

 

and another:

 

 

May the Student Edition be made further use of after my graduation/training is complete?

 

* Yes, after termination of your graduation, the Student Edition may continue to be used for noncommercial purposes only

 

 

Its also in their terms and conditions of use, so you can't say that they don't say that you can't make money from the student edition, as it is almost in every sentence that you can't use these products when doing work for money.

I'm also fairly certain the student edition watermarks EVERYTHING with 'Student Edition' so you may find yourself a tad disappointed!!

 

:flm7:

I'm also fairly certain the student edition watermarks EVERYTHING with 'Student Edition' so you may find yourself a tad disappointed!!

 

:flm7:

 

 

That is a new one on me, is this new to cs4? as I have a copy of Photoshop CS3 student edition at home and have never seen a watermark at all.

I read a while back that Adobe turn a blind eye to people pirating their software as long as they're not using it for profit. Their reasoning is that students usually can't afford much, but still need to learn to use the software. As they're probably going to wind up buying it after they leave at some point they don't mind losing out on a few student versions.

That is a new one on me, is this new to cs4? as I have a copy of Photoshop CS3 student edition at home and have never seen a watermark at all.

 

Well sounds like I'm wrong...

 

If you have a copy you know better than me Dizi.

 

:flm7:

Well sounds like I'm wrong...

 

If you have a copy you know better than me Dizi.

 

:flm7:

 

 

Well it might be something they added in CS4 but in CS3 it isn't something that happens.

Well it might be something they added in CS4 but in CS3 it isn't something that happens.

 

yep as you said ;-)

 

haven't even seen CS4 so my bad memory certainly didn't come from there...

 

:flm7:

  • Author

Im not sure if I want to upgrade either... In split mind both has good and bad points but so far CS2 & CS3 are suiting us fine :)

Adobe developers need to make some income just like you... There prices are not to high... If you know how to use one of there products well, you can make a lot of money. Just my opinion anyway..

I agree ^ I just think charging 2000 dollars for a software package is not far at all, the people that make gimp, open office etc spend just as much time but give it away for free. If the program was 100-300$ I would gladly pay

I agree ^ I just think charging 2000 dollars for a software package is not far at all, the people that make gimp, open office etc spend just as much time but give it away for free. If the program was 100-300$ I would gladly pay

 

 

 

Yet you will gladly keep making money from something that you have stolen...would you be able to complain if someone stole your design work then? I mean you used something you have stolen to design it, so that you could make money, so really others would have the right to steal what you made from something you had stolen, right? or is someone stealing from you totally different.

 

I have nothing against people using a cracked version as long as it is for their own personal use, but if you are making money from something then what right do you have not to have paid for it?

 

As for you comment Jake, if you consider Gimp up there with photoshop as you seem to in your attempt to explain away what you are doing, then use gimp.

Unless CS4 has something I cannot live without, I'm sticking to CS3 for the time being :)

when i get an hour or two i'll be trying it, but at the moment 90% of my work is done on CMS systems now so don't really need it.

If i get a mac I will buy it twords july. ( get a CS4.02 upgrade maybe. )

The newer versions of Adobe Photoshop are something that can be lived without, I'm sure I could still get along with Adobe Photoshop 7 if I hadn't got Creative Suite 3 Extended now.

 

I sort of agree, a lot of people start designing websites in their young teens, they don't have £600 to purchase some software for a computer, it's too high risk. Their prices are ridiculous, I know they spend a long time creating the software, but as said before, people spend years developing open source or freeware software (Messenger Plus!, Filezilla, GIMP etc), people have even created operating systems (Linux distros) without making people pay and even producing CD's and sending them to people for free.

 

Adobe is a profit maximising company in my opinion, and the amount they charge is too high. I know that when I start making the money when I can afford that, then I can buy new versions, but at the moment I'm just an 18 year old freelancer.

I'm a 35 year old "on-the-side" type freelancer, with a full-time paid job and I STILL can't afford it!!

I'm going to have to bite the bullet one day - I've been using PSP X2 for a few weeks and whilst it does the basics well, 99% of the tutorials out there for image manipulation are for Photoshop, so I guess it's costing me money NOT to buy CS4.

i don't know what they are supposed to have improved or added yet but i doubt it is vey much, they didn't add very much last time which got me thinking that they have gotten a bit lazy over at adobe! i'm not one to talk though! :D

Piracy is viral marketing. It's been more of a help than a hindrance to Adobe as a company. As far as having Adobe knocking in your door, if you're a small irrelevant freelancer who's making pennies with their design Adobe still isn't going to come knocking on your door(though that doesn't mean that if you eventually have the money you shouldn't purchase the software) Now if you're a design business with multiple employees running cracked versions of their software on all of your machines you might want to reconsider your investment because Adobe will coming knocking at your door. A wise man once said that for every 1000 15 year olds using a cracked version of Photoshop to make lolcat macros one of them becomes interested in design, enrolls in a course and legitimately enters the industry. But yes, Photoshop is overpriced considering that the design market is already bloated with hungry designers.

Please find below some of the top features that come with CS4 products:

 

Essential design tools enhanced and extended

Enjoy feature-packed new versions of your favorite design software. Discover innovative online services for collaborating, finding inspiration, and mastering your design tools, and use Adobe® Fireworks® CS4 for fast website prototyping.

 

Everyday tasks made even simpler

In Adobe InDesign® CS4, easily manage placed files in the new, customizable Links panel. Rotate the canvas in Adobe Photoshop® CS4 Extended or the spread in InDesign. Combine multiple artboards in a single document in Adobe Illustrator® CS4.

 

Streamlined delivery across media

Build rich interactive documents by exporting an InDesign layout and adding animation in Adobe Flash® CS4 Professional. Prototype websites by opening Photoshop or Illustrator mock-ups in Fireworks CS4, and then embellishing in Flash or publishing in Adobe Dreamweaver® CS4.

 

Easy-to-do animation and video

In Flash CS4 Professional, create simple but engaging animations in as few as two steps. Use Photoshop CS4 Extended to enhance video footage, even syncing visual effects to the audio track.

 

Mobile designs for millions

Use Adobe Device Central CS4 to easily create, preview, and test mobile content on a wide selection of devices under simulated real-life conditions directly from your desktop.

 

Innovative collaboration and presentations

Easily share your screen to present, review, or brainstorm directly from within your design software. Showcase your work in a dynamic, customizable PDF Portfolio that is easy to distribute and view.

 

Quality testing as you work

Catch production errors on-the-fly with Live Preflight in InDesign CS4, preview content under real-world browser conditions with Live View in Dreamweaver CS4, test mobile designs in Device Central, and use enhanced preflight checks and corrections in Adobe Acrobat® 9 Pro.

 

Convenient new common interface

Enjoy improved interface consistency across all Adobe Creative Suite® 4 Design Premium components. Flexibly arrange multiple documents in a single window to compare content or drag-copy objects between them. Easily tab through multiple open documents without maximizing each one.

Answers when you need them

 

Connect to the expertise of the online design community through your creative desktop. Access information ranging from basic tips, Adobe Help content, and video tutorials to community discussions and blogs.

 

Information was taken from the official Adobe website, click below for further details:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuit...es/?view=topnew

15 year olds using a cracked version of Photoshop to make lolcat macros

 

Its funny because they do. That was a wise man.

 

 

Some of the features ben mentioned above look pretty cool, but definitely not worth investing a lot of money into.

Hi,

 

With regards to pricing, if you think about it logically it is really over priced for the changes and development time spent integrating those changes.

 

If you think about the computer games industry, a next-gen computer game could have a staff of anywhere between 300 to 400 people working on it in total, including marketing, lawyers, directors, project managers etc (may be similar for Adobe software) while also having budgets of milllions up on millions of pounds. Some games can take anywhere between 3 to 6 years to develop and when they are released your looking at £29.99.

 

With something like Photoshop, CS3 was released in March 2007, it is now November 2008 and CS4 is out at around £600. That's 20 months, and the changes are hardly a quantum leap forward in graphics technology (although the 3D integration and tools are great).

 

Then again, people can make a lot of money from using Photoshop software and not so much from playing Far Cry 2 (which is amazing, although slightly tedious at times), so I suppose it comes down to how valuable the software actually is, plus Photoshop may have less of a market than Far Cry 2, although I wouldn't bet on that.

 

  • £600, 20 Months Development Time, Valuable Money Making Tool
  • £29.99, up to 6 Years Development Time, Great Fun for about 50 Hours, Massive Technological Jump, Can't Really Make any Money From it

 

In my opinion, Adobe products are over priced. I still love them though.

That's the point though. I know I might be contradicting myself, but it's silly to say that you don't make any money from games and compare it to photoshop. That's the principle of the software... You have the massive price because it's being used for commercial purposes, they don't want to give it away for free if people are going to be making thousands upon thousands of pounds from it, because it is the forefront of photo manipulation. Everyone knows the word 'photoshopped'.

Definitely, I agree. I still think it's a high price tag though. But hey that's supply and demand.

 

If, I where the only web designer around (god forbid, what would the web be like) then I'd be charging a mint.

  • 3 weeks later...

I dont think fireworks was released with the CS3, i couldnt find it on the donwloads when their site had cs3 on there. think it was only re-released with CS4

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.