Everything posted by php_penguin
-
Con Men
I've not been ripped off yet, but it's probably only a matter of time... I guess being nice works most of the time, but eventually you just have to sell the debt on and let them deal with 4 burly men in suits...
-
Pulling feeds
stupid me - wasn't concentrating <script type="text/javascript"> $( function() { $(".headline").load("/main/?feed=rss2 item:first title") }) </script>
-
Digital notepads
Hey guys+gals, I just bought a digital A4 notepad, so basically I can place an a4 sheet on top of this pad, write with the special (refillable) pen and my notes will be saved in digital form, as well as having a paper copy ... yay Apparently it works as a standalone unit, can store up to 50 pages, and the batteries last long enough for a few days writing. Anyone else got experience with these?
-
Pulling feeds
well you would need to include the latest jquery lib (download from jquery.com), and the script, which can go in the head fwiw is : <script type="text/javascript"> $(".headline").load("/main/?feed=rss2 item:first title") </script>
-
Happy Birthday Penguin!
well... my parents gave me a track day, where I get to drive a Ferrari 355 and an Aston Martin DB7
-
Pulling feeds
well with jQuery it would be as simple as... $( selector ).load("/main/?feed=rss2 item:first title")
-
Pulling feeds
well the RSS feed is in XML, so you could use either the PHPXML parser or even a bit of jQuery to grab the first headline
-
Happy Birthday Penguin!
hmm, considering my level of cynicism I would say around 40.
-
Happy Birthday Penguin!
lol, thanks guys +gals - so far ... I have had a CD (Mars Volta : Bedlam in Goliath). That is all not that I would ever dance in such an active manner...
-
Importing a large SQL file in php my andin
if you have access to your php ini file (ie on a localhost) you can change the settings for a permanent affect. To find the location of your php.ini file (php settings), type: <?php phpinfo(); ?> into a file and save as "info.php". Load it up in your browser and search for "php.ini" Open the named file and search for "2M", replacing it with something more useful (like 20M)
-
New Mac Air
heeey I put the induction coil answer in their comments section so
-
Odd subject lines in your spam?
oh yes Rachael, the real problem with spam is it's poor opinion of women (or possibly of men, seems to think *we* are the gullible ones ... *looks at adverts on TV* I think it's women )
-
Odd subject lines in your spam?
thats exactly the same email as I get, although for me the salutary word changes language each time (Guten Tag, Hoi, etc)
-
Odd subject lines in your spam?
Hi, Just took a browse in my spam box (which only gets 1 or 2 a day) and I noticed that quite a lot of the emails seem to be taking the same form. They all have an adjective as the subject, and none of them make any sense. Here are the last few: - billeted - sphere - semitonic - fruited - shoals - menstruation - canvass - south I am not entirely sure how they though these would ever get past the spam filters... Do they just send them out of boredom these days, rather than an actual expectation that they will get through?
-
Hi from an Brit expat in France !
Tommy : wow, your french is amazing! Expat : are you by any chance an ex-pat? David Schofield : welcome to the forum! two of those comments were sarcastic ... the other was heartfelt and full of warmth!
-
porn sites appearing in my stats...should I worry?
I'm pretty sure he wasn't meaning W3C compliant there...
-
how to >get a title in the browser and a picture when the site is bookmarked ?
I am pretty sure most browsers automatically grab "./favicon.ico" as the icon if there is no icon specified in the HTML...
-
TUTORIAL: Learn how to prevent direct linking to your php files
this is to do with using the include() function across domains. For example if your config file is at: http://www.mysite.com/config.php I could do: <?php include( "http://www.mysite.com/config.php" ); print_r( get_defined_vars() ) ); ?> and print out your (probably define()'d) mysql passwords.
-
Hyphens or Pluses in URLs
simply put : don't both of these characters are difficult for non-typers to enter and you may fall foul of the disability laws * * not that I don't see the reason, but the allowed fines seem excessive, esp for small sites
-
What are the most important questions to ask a customer?
my main one is finding out wether I can do the project, and within their budget, and on time. If you can do all 3 then you will earn the client's respect and become the "go to guy" for them. And down-payments / deposits are always good for keeping your client focused...
-
DESSS Inc
Your site is veeery cluttered and it was difficult for me to figure out was navigation (roughly 2/3rds of the content, it turns out). You need to make it much clearer what is a link, and for lists of links, try and keep them in vertical or horizontal lists - merely seperating | bits | of | text | with | "|" | doesn't | work
-
pricing freelance work
I get just about all my clients from this forum and the Sitepoint marketplace, but I am in the lucky position to be able to get "recurring clients", as I do development work for designers, rather than direct-to-client stuff I have found that open-bidding sites are a complete waste of time and money, as the winner is either the cheapest or the one with the most reputation points, which are very hard to attain without being the cheapest for a long time.
-
Solar Powered Web Design is upon us :]
Just for all the science geeks out there (ie, the ones who know what "photon" and "efficiency" are) Direct sunlight is about 4 times stronger than overcast sunlight, and due to various weird bits, this provides about twice as much energy - as such you need to really overshoot your needs to get a full load in winter Current "cheap" solar panels such as you might get from Currys are muuuch less efficient than decent ones - cheap ones are made with older (and cheap) technology, and come in at around 10-15% efficient (eg 60Wh of sunlight gives 6 - 10 Wh power). The more expensive you go, the more efficient you can get, with the "high end consumer" panels coming in at up to 35% efficient, and the most expensive panels (for all the millionare webbies on here ) is getting close to 50% efficient. The more efficient you go, the more energy you get for each square meter of your roof you make shiny, and there is only so much roof to go by. And just so's you know, the wind turbines that don't require planning permission (the tiny 1m ones) generate little more than noise and annoyance.
-
pricing freelance work
you need to take into consideration also how much effort each of these hours is, but even more so how much is this worth to the client? Just because something took you 20 minutes to do doesn't mean it is only worth £7.50 - to the person for whom you are doing the work, it may have saved them 10 hours of their own time, and so you could easily justify the work being worth £60 or more. Of course this does mean that some projects are worth less per hour than your own "golden number" and it can be worth your time to get good at assessing the worth of a project before spending ages bidding on it - if you know the project is worth less than you must charge, then its a pretty sure bet that the client does too, and will find someone from India to do it for him.
-
Goldstein Media
well now that the press release is sorted, why not tell us what makes you tick... welcome!