Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

php_penguin

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by php_penguin

  1. but Vday is the only day you can get away with giving people cards basically saying "I want to see you naked" without having to go to court for the second date...
  2. great advice here - thanks guys + gals!
  3. to do it on Click you need to use JavaScript. I can write some code for you in jQuery if you want...
  4. try shopping around at Dabs.com - they tend to have a selection ranging from uber-cheap to ridiculously well-specced, so see what takes your fancy..
  5. Dell tend to use sub-standard qaulity parts in there products, especially for the price they ask. Whilst the specs might sound impressive, the actual performance will be much less than you expect. Personally, I would look at an HP laptop - they are aimed at "business use" so tend to be well-built, well-specced, and with good specs for the price...
  6. I've been lurking for jobs for a while now, and one thing that seems to crop up in just about every single one of them is a requirement for "5+ years experience in similiar work", or even more exact is "5+ years experience fullfilling a similar role for another company" With every company asking for this magic number of years, how is one meant to gather this experience exactly? I understand why they want it, but it seems retarded when this is required even for "junior" positions.
  7. living costs are fixed costs, ie they come out after the gross. Variable costs will change dependant on what you offer, some examples are: - travel costs if you prefer face-to-face meetings, possibly £30 per meeting - sub-contract costs if you cannot supply a full service (eg PHP outsourcing or similar) - telephone costs, although these tend to be small or fixed. For most from-home freelance designers/developers there are not many costs related to the work itself, so the gross tends to be (for me) close to 100%. The living costs tend to bring my net quite low, and I pay myself in wages exactly what my profits are
  8. Hi bennyboy, That query selects columns "a", "b", and the sum of a and b, from test_table, and writes them into /tmp/result.text For most of it, you will need to change 'tmp/result.text' to the absolute directory of your servers web root (for example /srv/htdocs or /var/www, can be found with phpinfo() command i think). The rest of the stuff is basically just an average comma-seperated value format, with each row on a new line (\n is a newline char) so... select columns into outfile dumpfile location fields terminated by ',' optionally enclosed by '"' lines terminated by '\n' from table simple enough, but not neccesarily obvious if you haven't seen it before
  9. you might want to tell your server admin to upgrade to PHP 5 and MySQL 5 - if you are paying for it it shouldn't be a problem. PHP+MySQL 4 are beyond end-of-life and are insecure compared to their sucessors
  10. 0 x 0 offset, 30px blur, 30% opacity... roughly
  11. MySQL can do a dump to CSV, and you can import that into Excel. Excel can save to CSV and there is a MySQL command which imports a CSV file. This only works on a per-table basis. You could also try doing: select * from mytable and dumping the result into XML, which I think can do multiple sheets at once.
  12. I am usually awake until about 3am, and about once a week I don't go to sleep at all (working for about 40 hours before remembering about my bed). Usually when I do the 40 hours jobby, I sleep until about 9pm, work until about 4am, then sleep till about 8am ... the remaining 5 days I wake up an hour later until I am once again ready to **** my clock up again... its fun - honest
  13. about 1 to 2% of all internet users are on a *nix based OS, compared to 5-8% for Mac, so the difference isn't too much - think Opera vs Firefox 2 years ago. Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread with my pedantic ways
  14. you seem to be defining "Personal Computer" as just "Windows" - Linux can be a useful tool due to its easy customisation, at least for the tiny number of geeky artist
  15. DK : made entirely with Javascript, basically an onmousedown+onmousemove function which draws a box with a width twice taht of the center of the screen to your mouse, and the same with the height. It also randomises border-width between 1 and 20? px, and the colour is random also.
  16. a link would be just great
  17. I've played GW:Prophecies through to lvl 20 and I have Nightfall and one of the other exp packs as well. I used to play a free one called Tibia, and I have never tried WoW mostly cos it costs.
  18. you can break statements such as for, foreach, while, if with HTML, like so: <?php for( $i = 0; $i 10; $i ++ ) { ?> Hello World!<br/> <?php } ?>
  19. fwiw there are serious gov't talk going on about forcing BT to upgrade the lines to something more modern than the 1970's BT have been holding off doing this because of the increased competition it would bring them, but hopefully the majority of lines in the UK will be up to the most modern standards by 2015-ish, and sooner in many places. And 50 MB is all well and good, but the only time I need a ton of speed is when I am uploading.. also, bandwidth limitations?
  20. have a testimonial on each line in "testimonial.txt" use this code: $quotes = file( "testimonial.txt" ); $used = array(); $count = 0; $display = 2; while( $count < $display ) { $rand = rand( 0, count( $quotes ) ); if( !isset( $used[ $rand ] ) ) { $count++; $used[ $rand ] = true; $test$count = $quotes[ $rand ]; } } The quotes will be stored in $test1 and $test2 - untested fwiw this does not track the previous versions usage, but a quick use of serialize() on the $used array would sort taht
  21. Gnome-RDP only if you use *nix though
  22. php_penguin replied to Dizi's topic in General Chat
    better plan: get drunk and try designing then!
  23. not entirely true - you need to use the Synaptic package manager (in System -> Admin* -> Synaptic Package Manager) and install various packages: - apache2 - php5 - mysql-5.0 (client & server) - libapache2-mod-php5 - php5-mysql - phpmyadmin - various other php libraries all named php* and you also need to CHMOD the /var/www to a writable option - I just 777 it recursiveky
  24. triple posting? naughty naughty! download is a music festival, just like every other music festival - the latest mainstream music mixed with too much drink and too many chavs...
  25. sort of - I can't find a decent schema designer for Linux (feel free to name one) so I am making one in HTML+Javascript

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.