Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Looking for a mentor

Featured Replies

I am currently trying to make it into my dream job, but need a little guidance on learning and getting there, I am hoping to get into a web development role and then hopefully in the future once I have experience going into a freelance position.

 

I would like to try and get a mentor who can pass on their knowledge and hep me, point me to what they want me to learn where to learn it and test me on it. then in time when they think I'm ready to move into a position at a company to help me achieve this. I would go do a course but am currently unemployed so do not have the money to do this.

 

I wouldn't be able to pay for a mentor so am just throwing it out there hoping someone is willing to help me in there spare time.

  • Author

I have been trying to get work and have applied at over 20 places in the last month of company's advertising positions. But without the experience they arent interested.

Okay, first I don't think you will find any member here who has the time or the will to take such a role. Second, you will be much better of by studying on your own. Show some enthusiasm and will and start making your own websites from the scratch. Yes, some one them may never be used, but you will learn something new from every project. Also, you will get websites to add to your portfolio, which is important if you want to get a job as web developer or designer.

 

We (the forum) are here to help you if you need any help. Do you encounter a question which you simply can't find a solution for on your own, ask here :) People with more experience is always a great resource for knowledge, but you will get much more experience by finding the solution on your own. Don't loose all hope. The websites you will create in the beginning will never be of the same quality as websites made by a much more experienced developer. But by each website you create you will get better and you will create better and better websites.

Don't think I could put it much better than Anima Templi. A lot of people on here (perhaps most of them) are self taught. The whole idea of the forum is to help one another out without fear of being berated for trying. We've all got to start somewhere (and have). I totally agree with the mentor concept as being an excellent way to learn but as has already been raised, it's not practical. If you were working for a company then perhaps it's feasible, but don't feel that learning on your own will penalise your development. Get stuck in and don't be afraid to ask questions :)

  • Author

Ok thanks for the help guys, and ill go ahead and make a few websites and see how they go.

  • Author

I've almost finished my first site but having one problem on the footer, I have a four coloum navigation style footer and all have a heading a sub heading. I can't get the heading to line up properly with my lists and stay there when I do cross browser tests and tests on various devices, really bugging me now been trying since yesterday.

Post the code or a link in one of the relevant forum sections (i.e. CSS) and someone might be able to help you out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.