Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why my site isnt on google

Featured Replies

Hi guys

 

Ive volunteered to do some SEO for free for this site laundryhome.co.uk

 

Wondering why it hasnt appeared on google, Ive done the keyword research, ive validated with google and added in meta/title tags etc..

 

can anyone help a complete yet learning noob :(

 

thanks

Hi guys

 

Ive volunteered to do some SEO for free for this site laundryhome.co.uk

 

Wondering why it hasnt appeared on google, Ive done the keyword research, ive validated with google and added in meta/title tags etc..

 

can anyone help a complete yet learning noob :(

 

thanks

 

It is there

 

 

Laundry Home

www.laundryhome.co.uk/As a long established and well respected succesfully in a business, Laundry Home is a trusted name in the Laundry and Dry Cleaning industry. Serving Slough ...

 

How long has the site been live. you are page 1 for the term "laundryhome"

Edited by pat24

Here's some pointers that might help...

 

Have you uploaded a site map to Google?

Your domain is only a month old!

You have no back links.

You have no description meta tag.

Your website without www doesn't redirect to www (or the opposite). It's duplicate content!

No robots.txt file.

No XML Sitemap.

No Alt attributes on any of your images.

You are using the H1 tag 13 times on the home page.

  • Author

It is there

 

 

Laundry Home

www.laundryhome.co.uk/As a long established and well respected succesfully in a business, Laundry Home is a trusted name in the Laundry and Dry Cleaning industry. Serving Slough ...

 

How long has the site been live. you are page 1 for the term "laundryhome"

 

Thanks, I meant for the keywords.

 

Here's some pointers that might help...

 

Have you uploaded a site map to Google?

Your domain is only a month old!

You have no back links.

You have no description meta tag.

Your website without www doesn't redirect to www (or the opposite). It's duplicate content!

No robots.txt file.

No XML Sitemap.

No Alt attributes on any of your images.

You are using the H1 tag 13 times on the home page.

 

WOW thank you for that info, I will go back to the coder of the site

Thanks, I meant for the keywords.

Try writing some copy (more than 3 sentences) and use your desired keywords in the copy. Use keywords as anchor text wherever you can (without filling the page up with links). Make use of the alt attribute for your images. Create content that your audience finds useful and wants to link to.

Sooner or Later it will be in SERPs, Keep working, take care of above mention tips and be patience.

Sadly there's little hope for this site to rank at all, because the code is so bad. There are major problems with the overall designing of this site and I hope no money was exchanged for such a service.

 

I'll explain and list the problems I see straight away,

 

 

Issues:

 

Issue 1

Over use of H1 Tags on the front page alone it has over 12, including one as the footer which is a huge no no.

 

Issue 2

No use of h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 tags, these tell google that the content is still important but less important than h1 which is the major keyword matching method.

 

Issue 3

You have no META Description on any of the pages, this should a 156 char description which is a sentence using the keywords found in the title and h1 tag, and other important h2-h6 keywords without spamming.

 

Issue 4

Far to many keywords listed in the keyword meta tag, keywords which ain't even on the page. Only use keywords which are actually on the page and if you said it once, don't repeat it in another order. This is for use for Bing and Yahoo, google ignores this.

 

Issue 5

The Title tag is 79 characters long, Google only displays a max of 70, Use a combined Phrase almost like a sentence outlining your keywords.

 

Issue 6

You have 6 CSS files which are not gziped and combined, Google actually ranks on site speed and uses many factors like overall use of JS and CSS files. Use a online minify and enable gzip on the server.

 

Issue 7

None of the images on the pages are compressed, Google Yslow Pngcrush and Transjpeg, this will reduce the file size without lose of any image quality.

 

Issue 8

None of the images have alt tags, this is extremely important as it adds overall text content to your page and tells the search engines what kind of images you have on the page.

 

Issue 9

The file names of the images are not very relevant to the content, this is less important but file names actually helps SEO.

 

Issue 10

No Terms and Conditions Page, No Privacy Pages, No Social Network Pages, all of these help SEO as it adds content to the site.

 

Issue 11

Less than important again but no Google analytics, Which is amazing for improving your site keywords at a later date and finding out customer trends.

 

Issue 12

The services are not listed on Google shop, it's free.

 

Issue 13

No coding to allow google to determine the services listed, there are codes you use to add prices, and services on a page this tells search engines that you are selling something and lists its accordling,

 

I could go on but this requires major work, and I strongly advise this site is looked.

 

A professional can easily resolve the issues listed above.

 

Hope this helps you out in the right direction.

  • Author

Rallport, very refreshing information balancing the scales..thanks dude..! You said on issue 10, you can think of better ways of adding content to a sitethan terms, privacy etc. Do you mind elaborating please?

  • Author

Excellent stuff there. Im starting my own mini web design business myself. I have teamed with a designer and programmer. I myself am very business orientated with a strong background in sales and marketing and find SEO very interesting - so the stuff you've written there makes for very interesting info into SEO itself. I have also taken the time to read some of your blog posts and seem very interesting indeed and something I will be tuning into from time to time.. thanks dude!!

  • 2 weeks later...

Here's some pointers that might help...

 

Have you uploaded a site map to Google?

Your domain is only a month old!

You have no back links.

You have no description meta tag.

Your website without www doesn't redirect to www (or the opposite). It's duplicate content!

No robots.txt file.

No XML Sitemap.

No Alt attributes on any of your images.

You are using the H1 tag 13 times on the home page.

 

This

 

SEO optimise the site, then throw links at it and it should appear.

Nice bit of de-bunkery going on here. I love to see it smashed up hockey mask and chainsaw style.

 

Well done Rally and Bomb +1 to you both.

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

This

 

SEO optimise the site, then throw links at it and it should appear.

 

 

Sorry, what do you mean 'throw links at it'?

 

Thanks

I think there's so many things that "SEO guru's" say you should implement in a website to make it appear near the top of SERP's, but to be honest the crux of it is this - Google wants to show the most relavent, well structured, updated and best content on the web for whatever keyword it may be.

 

If I was you, the first thing I'd look at is adding some QUALITY content on the homepage; make use of the keywords but only in a natural way - don't stuff them in there for keyword's sake.

 

Secondly, make the website as a whole more comprehensive. For example, that list of services you have on the right, make them links to other pages about that service...

 

.com/services/dry-cleaning.html

.com/services/wedding-dresses.html

 

Make it consistant and follow a well organized structure.

 

Thirdly, imagine the structure of any given page to read like a table of contents. You have Chapters, sub chapters and even sub sub sections - thing about your h-tags like this.

 

It's not just about finding some keywords and putting them on your homepage and in the meta tags.

 

In a nutshell, structure the website with the users in mind.

But you could have the most amazing content on the planet, but if it's isolated then it won't get seen. Much like advertising a product; you could have an awesome product but if no-one knows about it then you won't get any buyers.

 

I'm with you on everything you say about content. But to get it indexed quickly you need backlinks. One backlink will be enough

Great content is the best bit of advice, this may sound cliche but its because it is what works. Write content, get a blog and use it don't just post once and think that's it try once or twice a week, so many people burn out trying to post too much. Use keywords but make them fit the content so it appears natural and flows well.

 

When you have great content you are in a better position, next thing is to build the off site stuff ie backlinks and before you do that I would look out for posts on Google Penguine. This is the new algo change to stop over optimization of sites, and focuses mainly on Link building.

 

A great backlink is probably guest posting. Get great Content + backlink and you will do well.

 

Hope this helps!

  • Author

Still confused. I just searched for "dry cleaning in slough" and still nothing on page 7 of google. Yet its there in the meta description? I mean directory sites yell, thompson local etc are all up there and im not ?!

Is the meta description useful in anyway or is it just a field where you just stuff with possible keywords?

 

Meta description's incredibly useful - but for humans more than robots. The meta description is used by default for the text accompanying the title in the SERPS, so you're looking to convince someone in 156 characters or less that yours is the link they want.

  • Author

Meta description's incredibly useful - but for humans more than robots. The meta description is used by default for the text accompanying the title in the SERPS, so you're looking to convince someone in 156 characters or less that yours is the link they want.

Thanks dude, do you think the site isnt showing on SERPs when searching for "dry cleaning in slough", because ive gone over the 156 character count?

You really need to use better page titles, I presume your current home page title should read "Laundry Home Berkshire - Your one stop contact for all your garment caring needs" and NOT "Laundry Home Berkshie - Your one stop contact for all your garment caring needs"?? Check spelling. You are also using the same titles for all of the pages.

 

Nowhere in that page title does it say "dry cleaning in slough", which is the search term you want to be found for.

 

You STILL don't have a meta description tag. Are you confusing this with the meta keyword tag you are using? You STILL don't have any image alt tags.

 

You really should act upon some of the advice you have been given in this thread (dating back months), getting anywhere near a decent rank isn't going to happen until you do.

 

Hope this helps.

googles perspective....

 

for each page on your website...

 

I am google, I index all the words on your page, I even index all the phrases. I link these words and phrases up and map them against your pages address.

 

I come through your site at least daily. I make a record and date stamp all your changes.

 

I also do this for all the other sites in your area and well the whole world.

 

I notice that there are xxxx amount of sites like yours promoting similiar stuff.

 

I try to figure out the theme of your site (in words) so I just basically count all the words and see what word and phrases are repeated...That must be it!! if repeated too much then you are trying to trick me - I might penalize you. I try and use html top figure out wjhat your headings are (gives me a clue right, helps me index better)

 

Hm I also notice you only have 1500 words on your site, not much to go on. Your site may or may not fully describe your services, well I can only remember what you put there...if its not there I cant recall you!

 

Wow I also notice there are hundreds of sites pointing links back to your site, wow, you're listed in directorie and also people have written about your services on other sites. Gee you even managed to get a mention on the first page of your lcoal newspaper Excellent you must be important, I note this. Your mentioned in Forums. You even have people in social websites linking to you wow all those people in twitter linked to you, you defintely must be a goopd website. I will make you more important.

 

But wait, there are 9000 links to your site with the same keyrord string - aaahh your trying to trick me- i'll penalize you Mr.

 

I also notice all your similiarly themed competitor websites have just as many words and links, hmm how to decide whos the best... whos oldest (upgrade), ahh I see you have copied some text over there, downgrade!

 

so you see google has a hard job and yours is pitted against your competitors.

 

Make as much contnent as you can on your site.

 

Make it pretty and nice for clients that do arrive.

 

Get a lot of varying, respected links to your site on your keywords phrases you want to be searched on. < ---- KEY +1 +1 +!

 

:mf_rudolph:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.