Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Whats your favourite website at the moment?

Featured Replies

Also, that A little bit of something site, 3.8k +1 it! :o

  • Author

I've been a big fan of Jason's work for a while.

 

I'm not a big advocate for Flash but that Phoenix site is pretty sweet!

I was browsing through one of the popular CSS Showcase sites just now and came across this site called A Little Bit Of Something and it's the portfolio of a guy called Dan.

 

Read it, i think you'll like it.

 

So, whats yours?

 

 

I despise that website. Rude, aggressive, and deeply arrogant. Can't imagine many clients being endeared by the guys attitude.

 

And his website just isn't even that good. It's bland, boring, unimaginative. The websites he's made aren't great either, for example the "buildingdispute" site. And that film logo is shocking!

Edited by brightonmike

I despise that website. Rude, aggressive, and deeply arrogant. Can't imagine many clients being endeared by the guys attitude.

 

And his website just isn't even that good. It's bland, boring, unimaginative. The websites he's made aren't great either, for example the "buildingdispute" site. And that film logo is shocking!

 

I think he should tone it down quite a bit, and if it really is the guy that sold the used wetsuit on ebay then he can write something alot more funny and appear a lot less of a ****.

 

But, in terms of likes and marketing effect, it's worked

that little bit of something is a poor site...how can you say its your favourite site of the moment. he boasts bout his work being brilliant and by the looks of it it is poor....

that little bit of something is a poor site...how can you say its your favourite site of the moment. he boasts bout his work being brilliant and by the looks of it it is poor....

Two things: a sense of humour is required to appreciate the site, and having a strong personality is what more often than not sets freelancers apart in this business.

What's my favourite site? Probably twitter. Or drawar.

Two things: a sense of humour is required to appreciate the site, and having a strong personality is what more often than not sets freelancers apart in this business.

 

 

meh im not getting into that discussion

meh im not getting into that discussion

Oh, go on - it'll be fun!

I actually laughed out loud at the screen reading this. What a legend. Bits that tickled me..

 

I often get asked, "How much does a website cost?" Some people would respond, "How long is a piece of string?" I don't respond like that because it's a **** expression. The people who say that probably have long nasal hair and wear socks with sandals.

 

I don't take cheques, they're ****.

 

I am a male human. For over 12 years, I have designed websites. Prior to that, I was a shepherd on a remote island in the pacific. I wasn't.

 

I don't have a fax machine anymore. I threw it out in 1991 along with my Joe Bloggs jeans and a double cassette album called Deep Heat.

Daily

 

  • www.webdesignerforum.co.uk (obviously)
  • www.neowin.net
  • www.smashingmagazine.com
  • www.twitter.com
  • Google+
  • Gmail
  • 4Chan

 

This is pretty stupid... http://therevolvinginternet.com/ as is... http://meowmania.jqln.org/

 

Regarding the 'a little bit of something' site. I find it funny but humour is a very personal thing. I'm a huge fan of Charlie Brooker's work where many are not.

 

I do think he could have been more creative than using '****' so many times... there's always 'tit nonce'

I was browsing through one of the popular CSS Showcase sites just now and came across this site called A Little Bit Of Something and it's the portfolio of a guy called Dan.

 

Read it, i think you'll like it.

 

So, whats yours?

 

I quite like it - it's unique and has an edge. It's simple and easy to read and connects you with him as a person and not just a website.

 

Although he does have a 'I'm the boss' tone which might turn potential customers off...

I'm sorry if you mean web design websites, but my favorite website right now is Cracked.com. It has articles that are hilarious, informative, and mind-boggling.

The "Little bit of something" site hmmmmm...... that's a strange little thing isn't it.

 

I think he has some good ideas - like saying from the off that he doesn't like it when the client tries to take control of the design, doesn't take cheques etc. - and some phrases are halfway amusing.

 

But I think I'm on the side of the fence that thinks it comes across as patronising, arrogant, and crude. I don't think this really counts as him having the "personal" touch at all. It just makes him seem like a bit of a dick really. By the time I'd read about him "not being a pervert", read the word "sh*t" too many times, read "fungal infections" - I would be totally put off him "as a person".

 

The price chart is an idea, but again, he couldn't resist being a d*ck and putting stuff about porno sites on the end.

 

I think it would be saved if it was actually a decent website, and his portfolio was actually viewable rather than just a bunch of squares with pictures in them and no information (pity, because some of them look promising but I can't tell properly from the limited view). But to my mind, his website is just - a bunch of oversized self indulgent text with the occasional random picture slapped in. It's not particularly special.

 

The impression I come away with as him "personally" is he's a semi decent designer with an ego the size of Wales and a sense of humour that he obviously thinks is razor sharp but actually falls quite short of that. Also I think he seems a little narrow minded somehow.

 

Quirky idea, but could have been executed a LOT better by someone with some actual writing skills and a more humble outlook.

 

I think a lot of the guys portfolio sites on here are a lot better.

 

As for favourite website - I have to be boring and go with what I always go for - youtube I'm afraid. And I'm not talking about videos of people lighting their farts. Youtube as always pips the post for me in terms of content. Whenever people go on it they more often than not spend hours on it where they only intended to spend a couple of minutes. That speaks for itself. It is also an excellent learning resource if you use it right, and rich in a variety of culture.

Youtube's been my favourite site for as long as I can remember.

 

Edit - it might have something to do with the fact that it's helping me learn the double bass haha.

Edited by Gibson

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.