Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Page Rank 0

Featured Replies

I have completed a couple of websites for clients which are now live but two of them are still on page rank zero.

 

I know technically it isn't down to me to provide after design web promotion (I have'nt charged for it after all) but I feel I should at least do something for their poor google ranking.

 

The sites are fairly search engine friendly with sitemaps etc.

 

Any advice would be much appriciated.

How long have the websites been live? And have you disabled spiders from indexing the site?

  • Author
How long have the websites been live? And have you disabled spiders from indexing the site?

 

Well that is the strange thing. The first one has been live for approx 5 months and no I have'nt disabled spiders from indexing.

  • Author
Have the sites got any half decent backlinks, or even just plain old links to them? It helps if they do!

 

Unfortunately not, although I did submit them to http://www.dmoz.org/ recently.

 

womble.. the pages have definitely been indexed as they appear on my list of external backlinks to my own site. I suppose I was just wondering if there was some basic things to do to even get a site a page ranking of one.

pr isn't based on how seo friendly your site is, click on my blog in my sig and have a look at 'a basic introduction to google page rank'

  • Author
pr isn't based on how seo friendly your site is, click on my blog in my sig and have a look at 'a basic introduction to google page rank'

Would you recommend I should add my finished sites then to my facebook account somewhere then ?

That would be a good start, have a look at dmoz and pegasus directories, google business directory, and .gov.uk business directories, then try to acquire link exchanges from competitors

  • 2 months later...

AHHHHHHH!!!!! I do hate this topic so much sorry......

 

Forget page rank...seriously...

 

Design and build a website with visitors and NOT search engines in mind

Make it clean, uniform, easy to naviagte, interesting and completely on-topic

Carefully think out unique page titles and descriptions for every page

Don't spam your site with keywords and phrases

 

Submit to Google, yahoo, MSN

NETWORK your site, get links in from other well suited and related websites

Join forums, chat, offer advice (rather than joining just to spam)

 

Work hard at pushing your website wherever and whenever you can with both online and offline marketing.

 

Watch your site do well!

 

In the 8 years I have been doing this I have not had ONE failed website. They all get exceedingly high ranking on the search engines, they all get hundreds of visitors, a couple get over 20,000 a month and not one of them has a ranking of more than 3.

 

I get emails from people every single day who ask me to link to their page ranked 4 website but only if I have a page rank of 4 or more... but tell me why I should give them a link from a site that gets 28,000 visitors a month and is only a page rank of 3 to their site which is a page rank of 4 and has 200 hits a month coming in???

 

Page rank is for snobs and not for people who really know what they are doing ;)

Sorry if this is insulting your intelligence but i just thought I'd say it because it hasn't been mentioned; have you been to www.google.com/addurl and submitted your site for Google to crawl there? I know it's like the first thing you'd do after making a website but I just thought I'd mention it, just in case. Let's face it, most website problems have simple solutions that we just overlook. If it isn't on Google then it won't have a PR.

AHHHHHHH!!!!! I do hate this topic so much sorry......

 

Forget page rank...seriously...

 

Design and build a website with visitors and NOT search engines in mind

Make it clean, uniform, easy to naviagte, interesting and completely on-topic

Carefully think out unique page titles and descriptions for every page

Don't spam your site with keywords and phrases

 

Submit to Google, yahoo, MSN

NETWORK your site, get links in from other well suited and related websites

Join forums, chat, offer advice (rather than joining just to spam)

 

Work hard at pushing your website wherever and whenever you can with both online and offline marketing.

 

Watch your site do well!

 

In the 8 years I have been doing this I have not had ONE failed website. They all get exceedingly high ranking on the search engines, they all get hundreds of visitors, a couple get over 20,000 a month and not one of them has a ranking of more than 3.

 

I get emails from people every single day who ask me to link to their page ranked 4 website but only if I have a page rank of 4 or more... but tell me why I should give them a link from a site that gets 28,000 visitors a month and is only a page rank of 3 to their site which is a page rank of 4 and has 200 hits a month coming in???

 

Page rank is for snobs and not for people who really know what they are doing ;)

 

So basically that massive long rant was just to say 'pagerank sucks'

Which it doesnt... I agree that it doesnt make nearly as much difference as many people see to think, but to write it off as worthless really points the 'dont-know-what-you're-doing' arrow right back at you... To write off any potential factor that contributes to rankings is an incredibly stupid thing to do, let alone a factor that isn't just 'potentially' helpful, it IS a definite contributing factor.

 

As for you point-and-wank, by your logic you should be doing nothing but PR hunting then! Given that you know nothing about SEO I'm sure you'd slot in quite nicely.

DMOZ isn't accepting anymore or so I hear. I can't get listed there and Yahoo directory charges which sucks. Both of these unfortunitly rank high in google. I would just follow 1812's suggestions. They're good. Though I agree with Egg too.

  • 4 months later...
So basically that massive long rant was just to say 'pagerank sucks'

Which it doesnt... I agree that it doesnt make nearly as much difference as many people see to think, but to write it off as worthless really points the 'dont-know-what-you're-doing' arrow right back at you... To write off any potential factor that contributes to rankings is an incredibly stupid thing to do, let alone a factor that isn't just 'potentially' helpful, it IS a definite contributing factor.

 

As for you point-and-wank, by your logic you should be doing nothing but PR hunting then! Given that you know nothing about SEO I'm sure you'd slot in quite nicely.

i agree with you, he knows nothing about SEO, the average person on the street will not click past page 2 if they are searching for a service or product, sad but unfortunately true

Build dofollow backlinks from other sites that has PR. You'll gradually get PR in time.

Rule out any options at your peril.

 

Everything is there for a reason and unless you fully understand its market you are talking with a blindfold on.

  • 2 weeks later...

Don't bother about pagerank much, if these sites are ranking for their keywords are getting good traffic / making money, don't worry about PR at all.

 

It's easy to get PR by getting links from other sites.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.