Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1812

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by 1812

  1. Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I did have a good look at where to post this first and ended up here... Anyway, I have two questions that maybe someone can throw some light on. 1) I have read some posts and a very interesting piece by eggman about hosting in the country you are trying to get your visitors from, i.e. host a UK site in UK.... I must admit to having US hosts for all my UK client's accounts (I am based in the UK), however, all my sites do very well and have excellent results in the UK search engine searches. Would those results improve even more drastically if I moved all these sites to a UK host? I have one site of my own which currently gets around 26,000 visits a month, it's a UK wedding directory. I am scared to move the servers from US to UK as I don't want to 'rock the boat' Can anyone advise please? My second question is, I am currently and very seriously thinking of moving from the UK to another country, possibly Spain, what are my main conciderations if I wish to continue still working for my existing UK clients and trying to gain more work from the UK. Would making my sites in Spain, as long as they were .co.uk domains and hosted in the UK, have any effect on those sites? Any advice welcome.
  2. Totally agree the layout and design needs relooking at, I have always wondered if a bullet list would look much tidier and presentable. I'll go away with your comments and see what I can do. I don't usually do sites of this nature, it's a first for me, I tend to do more sites like This or This I am not usually a big fan myself of ebook sites so I did struggle with this one.
  3. Thanks for the 'double click to edit' tip off.. sorted now.. I appreciate what you say about the spam/con issue.. Trouble is with any website of this nature the 'doubt factor' comes into the thoughts of everyone looking. I must admit I have seen this book and it's 100% genuine to what it says it can do, I have no affiliation to this so can assure you I am not just saying this, however, both me and the client are struggling to get that across!! In the US they believe anything and these kind of sites are rife, but here in the UK we are an untrusting lot at the best of times so this one is proving hard. Having said this my client has already sold 18 books in the 2 weeks it's been live so I must have done something right?
  4. Get a good client base behind you, carry out some exceptional work and search engine results for your clients and you won't need to advertise. Can't remember anyone for ages saying 'I saw your website in...' They usualy call and say 'A friend of mine who you did a site for.....'
  5. It's a special site for the heard of hearing
  6. Another one I knocked up. Happy to receive any criticism. The text was strictly by the client himself so don't knock me on any of that pleaseee Free Networking |eads
  7. Seriously James with 300-500 coming in without you working on it... You could have yourself a revenue rich site here using adsense, I don't know what you do so obviously I cannot say if this is worth it to you but you could be getting some fairly serious money from this site with a little work. It's also not just a case of having thousands of visitors and as many ads as you can place on the pages... the layout has to be carefully worked out. More often than not, placing fewer blocks of adsense adverts to a page can generate more revenue than placing your maximum amount.... also where you place those blocks can dramatically improve / worsen your revenue.
  8. 1812 replied to liqsnake's topic in General Chat
    Has to be Muse. Their talent as musicians is unbeatable.
  9. Can we really take these estimations seriously??? I mean www.ukweddingstore.co.uk is estimated at just $1,400 and yet it makes that amount in revenue in just one week???? So how can you value it at this price? I certainly wouldn't sell this domain for any less than £100,000 !!
  10. Thanks Ethen
  11. James.... give me your site that get's 5000 a day and I'll make you a very rich man!! I have a directory which get's 25 - 28,000 visits a month and the adsense from this earns me enough to live on. If you can't make a site that has around 5,000 visitors a DAY work for you then you need to rework your pages and adsense blocks to ensure they do.
  12. I must admit, although having a 100% record of getting all my clients to page one of Google..one site I struggle with is my own website design site!! One thing I did do to overcome this is submit my site to http://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter This basically allows Google to put you on their local map. I don't know if you have noticed on some searches BEFORE the listings start Google now list local businesses first. Worth a try. I don't really push mine though as I get work through referrals now, which hopefully you do too, or will do soon if you don't already
  13. 1812 replied to JamieB's topic in Website Marketing
    AHHHHHHH!!!!! I do hate this topic so much sorry...... Forget page rank...seriously... Design and build a website with visitors and NOT search engines in mind Make it clean, uniform, easy to naviagte, interesting and completely on-topic Carefully think out unique page titles and descriptions for every page Don't spam your site with keywords and phrases Submit to Google, yahoo, MSN NETWORK your site, get links in from other well suited and related websites Join forums, chat, offer advice (rather than joining just to spam) Work hard at pushing your website wherever and whenever you can with both online and offline marketing. Watch your site do well! In the 8 years I have been doing this I have not had ONE failed website. They all get exceedingly high ranking on the search engines, they all get hundreds of visitors, a couple get over 20,000 a month and not one of them has a ranking of more than 3. I get emails from people every single day who ask me to link to their page ranked 4 website but only if I have a page rank of 4 or more... but tell me why I should give them a link from a site that gets 28,000 visitors a month and is only a page rank of 3 to their site which is a page rank of 4 and has 200 hits a month coming in??? Page rank is for snobs and not for people who really know what they are doing
  14. If you want very few visitors, poorly ranked search engine results and what little visitors you do get to click off within 2 seconds.... build a fully flash website!!!
  15. You couldn't be more wrong. I put 4 years hard work in and more hours than there are in a day... but I got there in the end. Google adsense is not my only revenue coming in but I am not far off at all from it being so very very soon. To be honest I could live off it, just not comfortably yet but I calculate about another 6 to 12 months hard work should get me there. I currently earn more each month from adsense than I used to driving articulated trucks around the country 6 days a week!
  16. Google Adsense is a fantastic program, and anyone saying different has probably, as the above poster mentions, broken their TOS and had their account removed. This is not as frequent as may be mentioned around the net. You DO need a very good readership though to really make it worthwhile as their minimum payout threshold per month is $100. If you generate 2 - 3 $ as month your webpage space would probably do better for you promoting your own goods and services. I run a very sucessful directory which generates around 28,000 unique visitors a month and the google adsense revenue for this is pretty handsome!! It's kept me from going back to truck driving anyway!
  17. What do you guys think about the referrals program being dropped by Google? For me personally this meant a lot of work and a potentially good loss of revenue, I am quite upset that they dropped this program as quick as they brought it in! What do you guys think?
  18. 1812 replied to ThomasHardy's topic in The Google Forum
    The chance of this happening is pretty slim. I am not encouraging ANY clicks on your own adsense but the chance of him getting banned from one click as a test is just unlikely. If he did get banned it will be for more than this trust me. As for the member asking about advice, well... it's really all related to the type of website you have. Don't make a website purely with the intention of making a revenue from adsense, that just won't work. Build a website for your visitors, make it interesting, make it so that your visitors are likely to stay on your website and possibly browse several pages. Once you have a good readership THEN think about placing your google adsense on your site. Don't overdo the adverts: Although you are allowed several blocks of Adunits and Linkunits, don't necessarioly think that placing your maximum amount of units on will increase your revenue, chances are it will do just the opposite. Place Google adsense on the Left hand side if possible rather than the right. 160 x 600 and 336 x 280 sized adsense blocks tend to do better than most others. Be patient, it doesn't make you rich overnight... many cases it doesn't make you rich! I started experimenting with Adsense about 4 years ago and was lucky to make 2 or 3 dollars a month! I now earn just about enough to live on without working but it has been a hell of an upward battle to get there!! and the battle still goes on...
  19. None of these back link checking reporting websites are of much use, Google also frown upon them heavily and this is why they won't give acurate results. Google do supply their own webmaster tool program which is going to give you the most acurate insight into what they see including content analysis, backlinks and much more. But Google are never likely to give away EXACTLY what they see when they spider your sites!!
  20. First thing I would say is forget page rank.. it means diddly squat these days, it's merely a rating that website owners can show off to their friends and means very little more than that. I have seen many a site with 0-2 gain thousands of more visits and rank higher in the search engines than similar natured sites with a ranking of 5 or 6. Hotfrog is always good to be listed on, and Sirlook (although it's a forum) is an excellent site to list your business on as they tend to take your thread and post it all over the internet. basically though just generate some searches for directories covering your business and post post post! Most are free
  21. Hi everyone, Just to introduce myself, I run a home based website design and marketing business as well as run a few websites of my own, the main revenue earner being my wedding directory which has had constant 7 day a week hard slog for over 3 years to get it to one of the UK's biggest wedding services directories around. My ambition in life is to generate a self-income from my sites through advertising (adsense) so I can retire early and achieve my main goal in life of that retirement being anywhere away from the UK! I'm more than halfway there, but in the meantime I spend most of my time working on my websites or my clients sites. I have an efficient amount of regular clients whos sites I maintain, market and promote on a daily basis to keep me from having to work the old 9-5 routine for someone else and this is all I ask for in life. Gone are the days of wanting to be a millionaire, I am happy that I now wake up when I want, I work when I want and I take time out when I want! My family life has improved drastically since taking the plunge and setting up my own business 3 years ago. I won't bore you anymore, I look forward to chatting within the other thread topics.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.