November 9, 201015 yr For about the 15th time this year i have had another creation stolen which you can seen here http://photoshoplove.ru/design/54-sozdanie-postera-v-stile-retro.html And my original creation which can be seen here http://www.derby-web-design-agency.co.uk/blog-article.php?id=33 I have given them 7 days to either credit us or take it down and then i will start legal action. My question is how can i prevent this from happening as this is getting out of hand. I dont want to stop creating because of 3 reasons. Amazing traffic to my website I love to design and inspire Seo is good! Thanks Robert
November 9, 201015 yr Obviously it's not what you want on your images showcasing the tutorial but it's the only way people will know where it's from.
November 9, 201015 yr I think put a watermark over the top of your images? Ahh you got there the same time as I was doing it lol
November 9, 201015 yr Obviously it's not what you want on your images showcasing the tutorial but it's the only way people will know where it's from. Maybe not that extreme thoe
November 9, 201015 yr Maybe not that extreme thoe But if you just do it once, it's very easy to use the clone stamp tool to go over it, if you do it repeatedly they just won't bother
November 9, 201015 yr But if you just do it once, it's very easy to use the clone stamp tool to go over it, if you do it repeatedly they just won't bother I would do it large and grayish / transparent
November 9, 201015 yr For about the 15th time this year i have had another creation stolen which you can seen Man, that totally sucks. One thing I would say is please, please, please keep up the tutorials though ... I personally am finding them very useful! Steve
November 9, 201015 yr I'd go for one long diagonal watermark as this would make it hard to crop out the watermark notices and won' detract from the image too much. I'd use a mixture of colours (a repeating pattern) and opacity and maybe some embossing/drop shadow. The more ways you can blend in and out of the main image (with shading, opacity, colours etc) and in varying amounts, the harder it will be to remove the water mark by using automated tools like edge detection, colour pickers, auto-heal, texture replace etc. In terms of threatening legal action - do you even know what copyright laws apply to the country that hosts that website and the enforcement procedure is ? Cheers, Nick
November 9, 201015 yr Author Its a bugger isnt it lol... As i said in my comment on there site i dont mind them using the tutorial but as long as they credit the work! The worst thing is i had to do it on the comment section as they do not have a contact us page or form
November 9, 201015 yr Author Im thinking of just making a transparant image over the original image so if someone right clicks or copies images it will just copy the transparant image. The only other thing i need to do is encrypt the html, Does anyone have any ideas how to do this, so the source code is encrypted?
November 9, 201015 yr How did you find it though, its not even in english!! I would watermark it quite visibly, also add a small red/green pixel or small square in an unnoticeable area. Even a few. Then if the person says that they made it themselves, you show the mark.
November 9, 201015 yr Author I have a few scripts on my server which scans google for similar images and text phrases as my pages have... be it english or not. So far i see over 30 websites using my tutorials but most are stating i did it and linking to my website.
November 9, 201015 yr Author This doesnt show all websites with mine as some people change image names and content. But then i rely on people telling me, I am known on good-tutorials.com etc and people tell me there thankfully
November 9, 201015 yr Im thinking of just making a transparant image over the original image so if someone right clicks or copies images it will just copy the transparant image. The only other thing i need to do is encrypt the html, Does anyone have any ideas how to do this, so the source code is encrypted? This won't work because in Firefox you can go to tools - page info - media and then the image behind the transparent gif will be there. The only way I guess is watermarks and word of mouth from any sites you use to help you out.
November 9, 201015 yr Author The only thing about water marking is it interfere's with the design a little when designs are detailed, so it can effect it in a bad way. If that is the only way I think I will have to use the watermark method
November 9, 201015 yr Yeah it does interfere with the actual images which is a big shame. If it currently brings you in traffic and it's working, is it such a big deal if it's on a few foreign sites? If you put a little copyright sign at the bottom of all images and just say at the bottom of the tutorial all the work is from this site and if you see it anywhere else without crediting this site to please report it? Anyone that speaks English won't be going on those sites anyway and it will just be people in their own country. I don't think any of us would of found those sites, it's only because you are looking for them. I know it's out of order and completely wrong but if your hands are tied it's not the end of the world. Just a big pain in the arse.
November 9, 201015 yr I have a few scripts on my server which scans google for similar images and text phrases as my pages have... be it english or not. So far i see over 30 websites using my tutorials but most are stating i did it and linking to my website. What script is that?? Id be interested in that! I would use a transparent watermark(logo) with a slight bevel and drop shadow. Its harder for them to get rid of then. You can also disable right clicking on your pages, though if some one really wanted the image they could find ways.
November 9, 201015 yr What script is that?? Id be interested in that! I would use a transparent watermark(logo) with a slight bevel and drop shadow. Its harder for them to get rid of then. You can also disable right clicking on your pages, though if some one really wanted the image they could find ways. Not sure where I saw this site Tiny Eye - think it might have even been this site but this looks for images.
November 9, 201015 yr Can you not do some kind of javascript that when someone right clicks on your image it says something like "Please contact me if you wish to use this image". Ive seen it done on other sites
November 9, 201015 yr Author Can you not do some kind of javascript that when someone right clicks on your image it says something like "Please contact me if you wish to use this image". Ive seen it done on other sites I might do this as this is easy to implement.
November 9, 201015 yr Dont do that, it annoys real users and won't deter people who want to steal your content. Disable javascript and its circumvented.
November 9, 201015 yr How about embed the image in a flash movie and have action script running that checks for a file before displaying? That way if someone nicks the flash movie it wont work?
November 9, 201015 yr Author Dont do that, it annoys real users and won't deter people who want to steal your content. Disable javascript and its circumvented. Good point... So basically all i can do is add a small iconic watermark within the images just to show its my design and just keep my legal advisor's rich lol...
November 9, 201015 yr How about embed the image in a flash movie and have action script running that checks for a file before displaying? That way if someone nicks the flash movie it wont work? You are still gonna annoy users. Ipad/iPhone users. Flash slows down my mac, and if I am on a website with 20 flash movies, I don't think I would return very soon.
November 9, 201015 yr Robert, these guys finally gave the link to your tutorial. http://photoshoplove.ru/design/54-sozdanie-postera-v-stile-retro.html
November 9, 201015 yr Author Robert, these guys finally gave the link to your tutorial. http://photoshoplove.ru/design/54-sozdanie-postera-v-stile-retro.html Thanks for the heads up
November 9, 201015 yr Author I think a watermark is the way.. look at other sites that do the same thing. Can still take the image from the source file, Also if you disable javascript it stops that protection from working.
November 9, 201015 yr Can still take the image from the source file, Also if you disable javascript it stops that protection from working. Mate.. it can be a print screen job
November 9, 201015 yr Only problem with watermarks is that with CS5's content aware feature, it is real easy to get rid of the water mark, reduce the quality of the picture slightly and they wont notice a thing. Also, never thought of disabling the JS.
November 9, 201015 yr At the end of the day you can't really stop someone getting a picture off your site if they really want it. You just have to warn them that you will take action if they do.
November 17, 201015 yr no offence guys buts it a tutorial you are showing the user how to create this image therefore creating it is simple they can printscreen it as they go along if they are deparate
November 17, 201015 yr As said, make sure you put a watermark on all of your design even if you are designing it for a client or just for inspiration. I am saying this because, I representing our company, have dealt several client and once a client rejected to pay and just tried to get the designs. But since it was watermarked I told him that I wont send him the Source files until he pays and then immediately he payed through Western Union. Bottom Line : Watermark all files you've designed if you are publishing it.
November 17, 201015 yr print screen is always gonna allow people to rob whatever they want. the only option is to put a watermark on it but thats not ideal. maybe just learn to live with it. the bigger u get the more people are going to rob ur ideas. i'm sure smashing magazine have 100,000's of thiefs!
November 23, 201015 yr Man this sucks. They have watermarked your images on their site to them selves?
Create an account or sign in to comment