October 10, 200917 yr Has anyone upgraded to it? I'm quite happy to stick with Vista, I shelled out a small fortune for Vista Ultimate little over a year ago, not too keen on upgrading to something which is practically a clone of it.
October 10, 200917 yr I'm using 7, pros: Much quicker less ram hungry nice interface and task bar more intuitive than previous windows OS's, less cluttered good driver support in general cons: if you use any games that use Game Guard they don't work yet you can't drag and drop stuff into the programs in the taskbar (thats the best bit about having a more graphical taskbar, apple have only been doing that for YEARS!) not all programs work on 7 yet, but most do, all your web dev stuff should be fine all round I think 7 is good improvement on vista, but not so much that I would fork out my hard earned cash just yet, I had to upgrade due to ongoing vista saga. stevo
November 27, 200916 yr Hiya, I upgraded from vista 32 home premium to W7 64bit pro which is absolutely breathtaking. I mean its not full of rubbish, its clean simple and ram friendly. I think that by far W7 is probably the best OS to come out of microsoft.
November 27, 200916 yr I don't know if it has already been discussed here but 32 bit v 64 bit? What are the implications of going 64 bit?
November 28, 200916 yr Sounds like some good info... I have vasta and wasnt to keen on upgrading, maybe i will now...
November 29, 200916 yr I don't know if it has already been discussed here but 32 bit v 64 bit? What are the implications of going 64 bit? I did loads of research on this, mainly for when I was choosing between vista x32 and x64 not w7, to me what it came down to was if you have a 64 bit processor go for x64 it shares ram out evenly etc, and if you have more then 4gb memory go for x64 as x32 does not read more then 4gb memory... But apparently it is not just about the ram limit as said here All in all I've noticed a huge difference, especially since putting windows 7 x64 on
November 29, 200916 yr Now please can someone else tell me.... Whenever he is typing an e-mail or a message on a forum the page disapears! From what I can tell it clicks back itself. We asked pc world and they said it may be to do with the fact that he had AVG free antivirus on it so I bought Norton 2010, we still have the problem. Honestly, we're contemplating sending it back because he's only had it 2 weeks and he can't do his work on it. Charlotte That sounds really random, would not think it's AVG though and most defiantly would never use Norton. Do you not get any warnings or anything?
November 29, 200916 yr That sounds really random, would not think it's AVG though and most defiantly would never use Norton. Do you not get any warnings or anything? if you've ever tried to get rid of norton ....
November 29, 200916 yr Yes!!!! I bought my husband a new laptop with windows 7 for christmas but he got it early. Now please can someone else tell me.... Whenever he is typing an e-mail or a message on a forum the page disapears! From what I can tell it clicks back itself. We asked pc world and they said it may be to do with the fact that he had AVG free antivirus on it so I bought Norton 2010, we still have the problem. Honestly, we're contemplating sending it back because he's only had it 2 weeks and he can't do his work on it. Charlotte Couldn't tell you what the issue is regarding pages reloading (perhaps try a different browser?) but I think the folks at PC world used the opportunity to burden you (and relieve your bank account a little) with Norton, there's nothing wrong with AVG free!
December 13, 200916 yr I've got it and it seems fine so far, it looks snazzy and it's easy to use. Although my laptop is very slow to start up from cold and I've only had it less than a month, but I don't know if that's anything to do with Windows 7...
December 13, 200916 yr I love windows 7 but because im running a home network with domain controller it means ill have to give this a skip as it isnt as compatible with windows 2003 server group policy and security settings.
December 13, 200916 yr I love windows 7 but because im running a home network with domain controller it means ill have to give this a skip as it isnt as compatible with windows 2003 server group policy and security settings. Can't you upgrade from 2003 to 2008. I heard Microsoft are giving away free copies at the minute.
December 13, 200916 yr I got the upgrade (for only £30, thought I might aswell), and it seems quite a bit faster than Vista. I wouldn't say it was a huge step up in terms of features but just the little things which makes everday tasks that much easier to do.
December 13, 200916 yr Can't you upgrade from 2003 to 2008. I heard Microsoft are giving away free copies at the minute. Yh but it means all the havak of backing up the dc and then reinstalling ect to much work cba
December 13, 200916 yr i have it installed on vmware fusion and i find it very smooth. ...saying that i still keep finding myself use xp, which still feels more reliable.
December 14, 200916 yr I've got W7 Pro on my laptop, runs fine, looks good. Best OS from Microsoft to date!
December 14, 200916 yr Been using windows 7 now for a good few months and absoulutly love it! Runs so smooth, it has only crashed once. Its very quick, love the taskbar on it for organising things. I would definitly recommend upgrading to it.
December 14, 200916 yr I'm using 7, pros: Much quicker less ram hungry nice interface and task bar more intuitive than previous windows OS's, less cluttered good driver support in general cons: if you use any games that use Game Guard they don't work yet you can't drag and drop stuff into the programs in the taskbar (thats the best bit about having a more graphical taskbar, apple have only been doing that for YEARS!) not all programs work on 7 yet, but most do, all your web dev stuff should be fine all round I think 7 is good improvement on vista, but not so much that I would fork out my hard earned cash just yet, I had to upgrade due to ongoing vista saga. stevo Hi stevO =) have ever encountered problems in Adobe Photoshop in Windows 7?? I wan't to install Windows 7 at my desktop but i've got some negative feedback that there's a problem occurring with Adobe Photoshop..
December 14, 200916 yr My other half has got a new laptop, it originally had Vista Home Premium 64-bit but came with a free (well she had to pay P&P) upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. We can't really see much difference in terms of performance on her laptop TBH. I run Vista Home Premium on my PC and because of all the tweaks I've done on it, it actually seems faster than XP for me so I probably won't upgrade for a long while yet.
December 14, 200916 yr I can't really fault windows 7, i've had no issues. And the quick monitor controls was a very nice touch (windows+p) The only two minorrr issues i have is. a) it thinks i'm on a dell it can't hibernate (it can, but the cpu doesn't awaken). Problem a doesn't bother me at all, problem b might not be related to windows 7 :/ I've been meaning to look through the bios but i really cba. I struggle to stand around my pc load to catch the chameleon bootloader, let alone the hit the button for the bios. I've not come across any software windows 7 can't run either
December 14, 200916 yr Hi stevO =) have ever encountered problems in Adobe Photoshop in Windows 7?? I wan't to install Windows 7 at my desktop but i've got some negative feedback that there's a problem occurring with Adobe Photoshop.. I'm using cs4 and haven't had any trouble so far
December 14, 200916 yr B ) it can't hibernate (it can, but the cpu doesn't awaken). I've got that, everything just freezes after it starts back up...
January 12, 201016 yr still on XP, not too sure if I'll go for windows 7, considering switching OS all together and go for ubuntu
January 15, 201016 yr I got a new laptop over xmas. Came with W7 Pro 64bit and got used to using it. Have to say I love it!! Everything I've thrown at it works well. As for Adobe Photoshop, it works great, no problems what so ever. I read somewhere here that you cannot drop things into programs on the taskbar. I seem to have no problem doing that, so not sure what that's all about?!? Also, I might add never, but NEVER buy Norton. Its a waste of money and system resources. AVG does the job splendid and have had no problem with using it in Windows 7.
January 20, 201016 yr Its a big improvement on Vista. I have also had issues with games. You still need to tweak it in a few areas but it is pretty good.
January 22, 201016 yr I re-installed windows 7 yesterday and I have to say it was pretty easy and straight forward. I was so much quicker to install than Vista and XP. I had to re-install because it slowed down dramatically. But to be fair, I did put so much random rubbish onto the machine. The plan now is: 1 - be wiser with the selection of programs I decide to install. Only those I really need. 2 - any random stuff or new programs I am testing I will put onto my virtual desktop (vmware workstation)
January 25, 201016 yr I installed it over the weekend and I'm very impressed by the speed especially startup, gets going in no time compared to XP
January 25, 201016 yr I made the switch over the weekend also, but truth be told my PC is becoming a sick puppy. Had to downgrade a high grade mobo and 3gb to 2gb of ram and also make a gpu sacrifice when the motherboard decided to go pop. Long story short, i'm using second grade parts and if Vista struggle 7 would be a saving grace. There were a few performance increases on this fairly average system now. So the final choice was to go back to XP lol XP! Ah the good old days. This is snappy it has to be said. Also 7 doesn't really like my wi-fi card WMP54G by Linksys and although the drivers are all installed and working it decides to boot me from the net every other hour.
January 25, 201016 yr I made the switch over the weekend also, but truth be told my PC is becoming a sick puppy. Had to downgrade a high grade mobo and 3gb to 2gb of ram and also make a gpu sacrifice when the motherboard decided to go pop. Long story short, i'm using second grade parts and if Vista struggle 7 would be a saving grace. There were a few performance increases on this fairly average system now. So the final choice was to go back to XP lol XP! Ah the good old days. This is snappy it has to be said. Also 7 doesn't really like my wi-fi card WMP54G by Linksys and although the drivers are all installed and working it decides to boot me from the net every other hour. Change your wifi's channel number. Windows 7 so far has been working perfectly for me.. Recognises everything.
Create an account or sign in to comment