Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LingsCars

Featured Replies

A recent thread on WDF got me to thinking I should post about this site I have recently found.

 

The thread was called something like 'a year's work' and was in the web reviews section. The author said he had deliberately gone against the commonly held 'good practices' in web design, and tried to make something different. It didn't really go down well among all the other members.

 

With that in mind, and also with one eye firmly fixed on copy corner, take a look at ling's cars. This site breaks all the design rules, and although at first glance it makes you feel sick, if you stick around, you'll find it is strangely addictive.

 

I particularly love the page giving advice about web design! There's some brilliant advice on it, and whether you love it or hate it, it will make you smile guaranteed.

 

I'm off to sharpen my animated gifs :D

 

Anyone remember that thread 'the internet is a text based medium'? hehe

  • Replies 286
  • Views 36.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • You seem to be applying what I'd call "Inverted logic" here. The hypothetical scenario is a choice between taking £100,000 and selling out, and taking £75,000 and not selling out. By "selling out" I m

  • MikeChipshop
    MikeChipshop

    If you continue to wind up our members who just want to discuss the merits of design and how they feel your site is a success, then you will be banned. You have been warned.

  • MikeChipshop
    MikeChipshop

    Gibson, it's like you took the words out of my mouth and made them make sense! (no mean feat).   Ling, this whole thread was started by Oakleaves to basically say that your site is successful despit

Posted Images

Sometimes there are situations where it could be okay to break the rules to design a website, however it's not following web practice and the majority of people wouldn't like it, and it wouldn't usually work. However, there will always be certain sites that don't need to adhere to the rules, either because it's such a special case, or because following the rules simply doesn't suit what the website is about. For example, that person seems like a bit of an eccentric, and it shows completely in the website, so in a way, even though they haven't followed correct practice, the designer has done a good job, and it's a pretty cool website.

 

I don't want sites to go back in that direction though, haha.

:rofl:

 

His copy is very funny, whether it's intended to be or not (though of course the site is appalling).

 

Watch out for those drug students!

  • Author
:rofl:

 

His copy is very funny, whether it's intended to be or not (though of course the site is appalling).

 

Watch out for those drug students!

Ling is a woman!

:rofl:

 

My favourite quote from this site is in the website advice page.

 

Whatever question, any question, answer is always "DATABASE".

Well I beg her pardon :D But I only looked at one page (the web design one), and didn't spot anything gender specific...

Just thinking about the crappy animated gifs and 'cheap' looking designs...

The good ones of these are done on purpose and it takes skill to look cheap - if you're trying to sell a bargain or it's something that would appeal to a Sun reader then polished and slick isn't what you're going for - Ryan Air springs to mind as do all the 'million dollar' copywriter sites - onehugely long page with nasty animated gifs but they do make a fortune in the US.

On the Ling's cars I love the oriental lack of articles - everything's "with database make website nicey"! Talk about how to inject personality into copy - anybody might think with decent copy the design might be subservient!

:lol:

  • 6 months later...

Gotta love Ling.. no-one can pull of a website like her.

 

Yet somehow she still manages to make thousands from that site every month...

Web 3.0 design!

one day we will all be that good.

So that site (lingscars.com) is a real sites then? Before I clicked it I thought it was going to be about bodily marks :p

Hahahaha, hello! This is Ling! Nice that the avatar works automatically, impressed.

 

I have spotted visitors in my site from here so I thought I would have a look while I am eating breakfast.

 

Thanks for comments (apart from self harm! By the way, Liverpool MIGA, I shut down MerseyMail 2 months ago as scousers were being exposed http://www.lingscars.com/merseymail.php ), I do my best to make my website fun. I am also starting one for sub-prime car finance because the credit situation is so difficult at the moment. Just building this at the mo: WhatBlot

 

I really do my best, you should try this page: Sitemap as this is actually quite difficult to do.

 

LINGsCARS currently at 110,000 uniques (Sept figs) and growing. Bloody economic situation is very difficult though, cars are big things. Also, these days, some cars difficult to get but... hey ho I bash on.

 

Hope you like the AK47, that ani gif took oooooh, an hour :) Hahahaha. Really, got to entertain visitors, I don't want blood in my website with people slashing wrists due to boredom.

 

Currently about 6,000 car deals available, if you try to load the price list with no filters, it crashes FireFox, hehehe. Really, so much fun to cope with these things.

 

Ling

Wow, Hi Ling, I am honered by your presence!

 

I actually quite like your site after I got over the initial shock it started to grow on me, I think you have something there, I love it's honesty, I might try and get that across in some of my sites, anyway, it certainly gets talked about alot so keep up the madness!!

 

Ben.

Ling!

 

welcome to WDF,

keep it up, your site is heaps of fun :)

 

Stevo

This is excellent! I definately think there is something to be said for using 'punk philosophy' in web design - i.e. not worrying too much about presentation, as long as it gets the message and the spirit across. There are just too many sparkly rounded-cornered, gradient filled websites around that they just lose their impact in their boringness. This website catches your attention and is a breath of fresh air (I think anyway).

 

Hello Ling!

 

I really do my best, you should try this page: Sitemap as this is actually quite difficult to do.

 

 

That is actually pretty cool.

This is excellent! I definately think there is something to be said for using 'punk philosophy' in web design - i.e. not worrying too much about presentation, as long as it gets the message and the spirit across. There are just too many sparkly rounded-cornered, gradient filled websites around that they just lose their impact in their boringness. This website catches your attention and is a breath of fresh air (I think anyway).

 

Yeh man, this is one of my fave blogs, they've got that kind of punk philosophy toward the art: WebsterGotts, zero styling, massively entertaining. Have a look at them receiving a rejection letter, it still makes me chuckle.

That is actually pretty cool.

 

Wow, that is really cool!

I was watching the news last night about the two women and the guy abusing the small kids. And all the expert commentators saying people are anonymous on the web.

 

Well, they are not. I can find out a great deal of live info about my visitors (comments on my sitemap above made me think of this).

 

If there was some collaborative venture between website owners, and a bit of sharing of info, a good profile could be built up about many website visitors and they could be IDd or at least a % profile IDd. Just as you would ID a virus based on attributes, or spam email.

 

Now, say 10, 100 or 1,000 websites participated, with some Chinese walls for Data Protection, it would be easy to detect and track and monitor malicious or dodgy users. Surprised I have never seen any tool like this.

 

I would certainly be interested to know a flagged "hacker" was on my site or was suddenly visited by a group of spammers of something.

 

Just a random thought. Should we let just anyone on our websites?

I was watching the news last night about the two women and the guy abusing the small kids. And all the expert commentators saying people are anonymous on the web.

 

Well, they are not. I can find out a great deal of live info about my visitors (comments on my sitemap above made me think of this).

 

If there was some collaborative venture between website owners, and a bit of sharing of info, a good profile could be built up about many website visitors and they could be IDd or at least a % profile IDd. Just as you would ID a virus based on attributes, or spam email.

 

Now, say 10, 100 or 1,000 websites participated, with some Chinese walls for Data Protection, it would be easy to detect and track and monitor malicious or dodgy users. Surprised I have never seen any tool like this.

 

I would certainly be interested to know a flagged "hacker" was on my site or was suddenly visited by a group of spammers of something.

 

Just a random thought. Should we let just anyone on our websites?

I think the main problem with this would be data protection issues. As a rule, website users hate being traced, and a lot of people are put out by Google's targetted ads, let alone actually profiling website visitors. It would be fantastic if something like this were possible, but the legal implications would be huge.

 

Really we're limited to ensuring visitors are unable to misuse our websites, not preventing the misusers from accessing it.

I'm sorry but in my eyes this design is #1 in the world

#1 design in the world

 

 

Yeah that's a nice one, but did you see it before it became Google? It was pretty impressive, it was brilliantly titled Backrub!!

 

I can't find the archived original site anymore :(http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-12-28-n47.html

Yet somehow she still manages to make thousands from that site every month...

 

True skillz indeed

  • 1 month later...

I really wanted to speak to Ling...

 

Hi, this is LINGsCARS! My computer is ringing like mad, please wait...

I know you are waiting, please be patient as I might be on the phone... - Ling

Guy says:

Hello vivoo. My name is Guy how can I help you?

vivoo says:

is ling there

Guy says:

She on a call to dealer at moment

vivoo says:

aww

vivoo says:

can u pass a message on?

Guy says:

could you send all your details and request on email t sales@lingscars please. she will get back to you ASAP

vivoo says:

can you just pass a short message on to her

Guy says:

yeh

vivoo says:

tell her i love her and i think shes a ledge

Guy says:

thanks!!

Guy says:

;-)

vivoo says:

its ok.

vivoo says:

have a good weekend

Nice one Vivoo! I love Ling, she is the best! I'm going to give her a ring :)

I think the main problem with this would be data protection issues. As a rule, website users hate being traced, and a lot of people are put out by Google's targetted ads, let alone actually profiling website visitors. It would be fantastic if something like this were possible, but the legal implications would be huge.

 

Really we're limited to ensuring visitors are unable to misuse our websites, not preventing the misusers from accessing it.

 

 

Yeah, all the stuff Amazon have done in the past about tracking consumers to offer different prices has stirred up upset over the years. Well why wouldn't it.

 

They gave new customers cheaper prices than older customers.

 

They tracked peoples spending habbits to try and 'guage' weather they could offer certain customers higher prices and get away with it.

 

I'm not surprised some people are sketchy on all this digital profiling. It can be used for good, but it can be horrifically abused as well. I still fail to see why people are against google targeted ads. I mean personally, I'd prefer to see ad's that i might actually be interested in. It's more beneficial to me, to google, and to the advertisers. Win win win? Or am i missing something their.

 

Edit: Way off topic, but the talk of 'targeted ads' always reminds me of this ingenious billboard.

 

http://menstrualpoetry.com/postimages/amnestyinternational_happensnobodywatchingbig.jpg

 

 

Yeah, all the stuff Amazon have done in the past about tracking consumers to offer different prices has stirred up upset over the years. Well why wouldn't it.

 

They gave new customers cheaper prices than older customers.

 

They tracked peoples spending habbits to try and 'guage' weather they could offer certain customers higher prices and get away with it.

 

I'm not surprised some people are sketchy on all this digital profiling. It can be used for good, but it can be horrifically abused as well. I still fail to see why people are against google targeted ads. I mean personally, I'd prefer to see ad's that i might actually be interested in. It's more beneficial to me, to google, and to the advertisers. Win win win? Or am i missing something their.

 

Edit: Way off topic, but the talk of 'targeted ads' always reminds me of this ingenious billboard.

 

http://menstrualpoetry.com/postimages/amnestyinternational_happensnobodywatchingbig.jpg

 

Hmmm the poster thing is very interesting.

Hmmm, you lot are quite nutty. Yes, I got that chat from Vivoo etc. Thanks very much even though you are a bit obsessed.

 

You will be pleased to hear I have just won (this week) the NatWest BT Business EveryWoman Communications and IT award 2009 Page is HERE! I got a bit pissed. Was at Dorchester Hotel in London, so a bit posh for me. Every winner was thanking "God". I am Chinese, not Catholic, so I thanked the Chinese Communist Party :) Am I terrible?

 

Thanks for all mentalist comments from the looneytunes here.

 

ling-stage-bruce.jpg

Hmmm, you lot are quite nutty. Yes, I got that chat from Vivoo etc. Thanks very much even though you are a bit obsessed.

 

You will be pleased to hear I have just won (this week) the NatWest BT Business EveryWoman Communications and IT award 2009 Page is HERE! I got a bit pissed. Was at Dorchester Hotel in London, so a bit posh for me. Every winner was thanking "God". I am Chinese, not Catholic, so I thanked the Chinese Communist Party :) Am I terrible?

 

Thanks for all mentalist comments from the looneytunes here.

 

ling-stage-bruce.jpg

 

Aha, that's class (: What did you think of Fiona eh?

Aha, that's class (: What did you think of Fiona eh?

 

Fiona has an inferiority complex. She stood on a box, wearing high heels and on tiptoe :)

 

little-large.jpg

 

Hahahaha!

 

Here's what Gordon Broon said:

 

brown.jpg

 

"I am delighted to send my support to all those involved in this year's everywoman Awards. These Awards are an opportunity to recognise some of this country's leading business talent and showcase some exceptional entrepreneurial spirit. Congratulations to Ling. I am sure your achievements will inspire many more women to follow in your footsteps, blah, blah, blah..."

Just a random thought. Should we let just anyone on our websites?

 

Yes, unless you have the time to manually IP ban them all ;)

Hmmm, you lot are quite nutty. Yes, I got that chat from Vivoo etc. Thanks very much even though you are a bit obsessed.

 

Your welcome Ling, I'm not obsessed,

 

I was just representing and expressing what us web designers feel towards your contribution to the internet with www.lingscars.com, you give us so much inspiration, passion and drive to succeed ourselves.... you are a legend, please marry me :rolleyes:

Nice one Vivoo! I love Ling, she is the best! I'm going to give her a ring :)

 

What sort of ring? Because I've already got in with the marriage proposal

Have seen ling on TV but no idea where (Dragons Den???). Mad as a badger, but an inspiration and a great example of how the "craig list" approach to websites can rule.

Honestly, I think you lot are taking drugs. :girl_devil:

 

Charlotte

 

 

I'm with Charlotte on this one! You lot must be nuts :crazy:

Ooooook! Its wierd how I've seen some of the posters in here ranting about standards / design; but hey 'this is great!'

It is certainly an interesting take on web design, can't say I like the fonts and the colours used, but I do like cars so it works!

You can not beat the noodle song at Lings Free Noodles

Ling is an absolute marketing genius.

My favourite bit is Ling's quiz www.lingscars.com/quiz.php though I think she has made it too easy!

 

What sort of ring? Because I've already got in with the marriage proposal

A Ling ring. Ling's on twitter :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.