Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Blambu

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Blambu

  1. Sublime Text 2, Chocolat, TextMate and occasionally BBEdit. I prefer Chocolat's look, but Sublime Text 2/3 has a lot of built in features that you can't go without. But I like BBEdit's support for version control.
  2. Any folks here involved with Ruby on Rails? I recently made the switch to Ruby and started Rails development for a new project of mine.
  3. I've been using Mac for about 4/5 years and haven't once thought of going back to Windows. I forgot how to use Windows and at the times I have been forced to use Windows I haven't enjoyed the experience. Windows 7 I recently used seems very nice but I couldn't move back now if I wanted, just because of the software I have bought that is for Mac. But it's up to the users requirements. Mac was and still is the right choice for me.
  4. I use my 17" MacBook Pro i7 for Web Design. I've used Macs from the dark ages and continue to use them as Photoshop and Illustrator run at such beautiful speeds.
  5. Instantly it is a major improvement of the original site. I like the header, menu and colours. The content seems split nicely. I'd recommend adding some custom bullet icons to your list and maybe reducing the font size and/or line-height. Maybe add in a line to separate the content from the right sidebar. let us know when you've finished the rest of the site, I'd love to see how you finish it up and what the other content pages look like.
  6. I iterate what Frost Tear said. My personal opinion would be to work with design and development areas for a few years. Build a good portfolio of both. If you're wanting to the handy man and do both things then keep learning more and more about each. Within development I'd recommend dipping into all of the areas, such as Ruby on Rails, PHP, .NET, Perl and see which language you enjoy writing the most. As for front-end stuff it's becoming more and more standard now for any sort of programmer to be able to use JavaScript and any of their libraries out there as Web 2.0 is what all sites are beginning to use nowadays. Web 2.0 is just a fancy word for things sites are including such as AJAX (JavaScript - Things that happen inline and don't affect the page's status). Have a look around at the different languages and see which you like the look of most. Play with a few languages and build a good name on the internet. Host your own website portfolio and add more and more work to it as you progress through your first couple of years. Don't buy any amazing software to start with, keep costs low and build up a good portfolio. Too many new start-ups think buying amazing full suite applications for their Mac or PC, and a brand new computer set-up and all the amazing bits and bobs you can get to help designing and/or developing helps, really it doesn't. I started designing on a PC that I had for 5 years and it barely ran Photoshop but I struggled and I learnt more because of it. Keep learning, never give up and spend everyday looking at something new. It's a fast industry and there is a lot of competition in the freelance market so you need to begin building a portfolio right away. Bookkeep everything yourself. Let us know how you get on
  7. I guess it wouldn't hurt to begin using SOME of the HTML5 tags. Like the script/style and doctype! but other things for video, make sure you have a good alternate, like flash ready for browsers which don't support it. It probably would do good if you jumped on the wagon now and more and more developers are getting others to start using to mainly push along the specification of it and make it become standardised. However, it'll be a while before it's fully supported, but if you jump on now you'll understand more and more and learn new tricks down the line when it comes to newbies beginning to learn it! You'll be ahead of the competition so to speak.
  8. Howdy all Me and my partner have been developing a website for the past couple of weeks and it will be launching next week, or just after. The website is aimed at females and their clothes. I hope it will build a good solid social community as the site involves photos of the females clothes, shoes etc. However, I probably have about 10-20 people (male) who I know would help me out and begin being members on the site, however, because the site is aimed at female I think I am going to find it very hard beginning the initial task of getting a good solid member base. The site could be opened to the male audience, but I don't think they'd enjoy talking and taking photos of their handbags, shoes, dresses etc. Does anybody have any experience in setting up websites that are specific to one gender? And what is the best way to go about getting these members? It's been a very long time since I've launched any sort of web application, and this is probably my first which is big for us. Any advice and tips would be greatly helpful
  9. I've seen these debates all over the Internet and it's one of the very first topics forums tend to go out there and ask. It gets members instantly involved in debate and it's great, everybody begins to get stressed because Windows users can't accept the fact Mac does something good Hehe I just got someone wound up whoever read that. I've been a Mac user for the past 6-7 years coming from a PC background, of building my own PCs and eventually when I switched i have never looked back. They just work. They might cost a bob or two more but in the long run they're well worth every penny.
  10. Blambu replied to junior's topic in Server Side
    WAMPP is great or if you have a Mac use MAMP (or just configure it use a database engine and you can run php straight from your mac.
  11. What is have_posts() returning? Try putting in something simple and see if it it the argument that is causing the problem. Try: <?php /* Example template for use with post thumbnails Requires WordPress 2.9 and a theme which supports post thumbnails Author: mitcho (Michael Yo****aka Erlewine) */ ?> <h3>Related Posts</h3> <?php if (!$related_query->have_posts()):?> <ol class="related-posts"> <?php while ($related_query->have_posts()) : $related_query->the_post(); ?> <?php if (function_exists('has_post_thumbnail')): if (has_post_thumbnail()):?> <li><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php the_post_thumbnail(); ?><br /><?php the_title_attribute(); ?></a></li> <?php endif; endif; ?> <?php endwhile; ?> </ol> <?php else: ?> <p>No related posts.</p> <?php endif; ?> If that shows 'No related posts' then it is your 'have_posts()' method that is causing you trouble.
  12. Blambu replied to Beno's topic in Server Side
    I have this argument all the time with people in my group. Personally I've done everything I can to stay away from C# and recommend PHP to anybody. So, that said, I would learn PHP first, oh and you might want to checkout Ruby on Rails. That's also awesome!
  13. 1116
  14. Blambu replied to Sam G's topic in General Chat
    I'm having a lazy today and I had a pretty lazy day yesterday. I think the weekend will need me to catch up on some development work I should be doing!!
  15. I ended up writing my own to send Invoices. However, before that I was using InvoiceMachine and PayPal. I need to think of a better way - Currently I use PayPal and sometimes if it's a large company they pay me using their BACS systems.
  16. Hi guys, I've been registered for a while now, but haven't found the time to post, but now I promise to make more of an effort to get involved in discussion here. I am from the United Kingdom and work for a company called TIGA.org. I am a web designer and developer due to it being a hobby all throughout my teenage years and now putting it to good practice by developing websites for other people, I am subcontracted by a company in Canada to do design work, and freelance now and again for people who require a website. I still need to get myself up and going. My website is Escensi. Just a splash page for the moment, I am working on Version Two and hoping to get that online and launch some products; CMS and Forum script with it too. I'm 20 years old, am Male and my Avatar is of my girlfriend who I've trained to love Macintosh and all Apple products, she'll be as geeky as me soon I hope! Thank you and look forward to speaking to you all!
  17. I am not seeing this problem, is this just me?
  18. Hey! Never seen this until today and it looks great - First impressions of the website and demo look brilliant. The demo video mentioned how easy it was to manage and make images secret etc.. It just overall seems nicer and more friendly to use. I think I'll give this a try!
  19. Cyberduck for Mac is a great FREE option, however, if you want the best and being able to do what you want easily, I'd suggest investing in Transmit.
  20. Hi snowyswebsolutions, I have to say, nice site. I am a huge fan of css based designs, and this one is really nice and good looking. It hasn't got huge amounts of graphics, but the graphics you've done and used are in the right places and perfectly executed. Design wise, good job! Thing I like on the homepage is the customiser, how about making those dropdown boxes a bit more stylish and creating a custom style for those..? That might just make the homepage that extra bit perfect. Content wise, seems fine, the about us page I'd expect to see a little more and a little more about where my files will be kept and how safe they are etc..
  21. I'd be willing to make a custom script for you. I'd do this for $100.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.