Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Starting a website aimed at females

Featured Replies

Howdy all

 

Me and my partner have been developing a website for the past couple of weeks and it will be launching next week, or just after. The website is aimed at females and their clothes. I hope it will build a good solid social community as the site involves photos of the females clothes, shoes etc.

 

However, I probably have about 10-20 people (male) who I know would help me out and begin being members on the site, however, because the site is aimed at female I think I am going to find it very hard beginning the initial task of getting a good solid member base.

 

The site could be opened to the male audience, but I don't think they'd enjoy talking and taking photos of their handbags, shoes, dresses etc.

 

Does anybody have any experience in setting up websites that are specific to one gender? And what is the best way to go about getting these members? It's been a very long time since I've launched any sort of web application, and this is probably my first which is big for us.

 

Any advice and tips would be greatly helpful :)

I see a whole lot of advertising for things like this with companies using social networks to widen their client base. I've had a few add me on myspace and the like, and they seem to have a large collection of friends on there who are interested in what they're offering. Obviously I don't personally know how successful it is, but it looks like it works. Maybe that would be one step? I dunno. :)

What about paying someone for data entry? e.g pose as fake members to get the community started. A lot of people do similar things on forums.

Offer incentives. That is the key thing.

 

I would do the following before the site launches...

 

1. Set up a twitter account / Facebook profile

 

2. Offer a range of prizes for silly little things... for example £50 river island vouchers for the best one liner... eg I love *insert random thing to do with your company here* becuase... and then the best five word answer as voted for by the fans (set up a poll somewhere) and also, do things like a meal for 2, theatre tickets for 2. Basically set aside about £350-£500 for prizes. Another good one is to make it a prize draw, but only if you recruit 10 people to the twitter account or something like that.

 

 

This should allow you to build up a base of fans really quickly, and as long as you are very open and transparent (basically DO NOT spin them a load of crap) then you should get a fair few solid visitors who are loyal.

 

Make the comps or prizes tied into your brand/usp/company and that will help with the association.

 

PM me if you want a bit of consultation on this :)

 

Tel

The site could be opened to the male audience, but I don't think they'd enjoy talking and taking photos of their handbags, shoes, dresses etc.

Blokes don't openly talk about their own handbags and shoes until they hit 40 ;)

  • 2 years later...

To attractive females, use facebbok as your main source.

Search some inforgraphics. They are use facebook a lot to share.

And You have to give any value ( even 1p) free gifts, lol, but am serius.

 

Mens are registered because maybe they wanna buy it for their girlfriends :)

  • 5 weeks later...

Luckily, we females love talking (A lot) and have people who influence us (whether we admit it or not...but hey that goes for men too).

 

Anyhow, I'd consider a "community" approach not just limited to social media. Let me explain, as a woman, a blog that I frequent is a community to me. And, the blog owner or other influential people who comment there are like friends. So, their opinion matters.

 

There's a fashion blog I read infrequently but if I want something new or cool to try out, I'll go to them first. Now imagine while I'm on their website that I see an article by you and about your cool concept. What this tells me now is 1) Your website exists and 2) Someone I trust (the blog owner) is recommending you by allowing you to post your content etc on there. 3) I'm now going to visit your site 4) It's your job to get me to sign up

 

You can take the same approach for forums, other people's fan pages etc.

  • 7 months later...

Try using Social Media for attracting female clients - like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc...

 

You can also take opinions from people posting queries on forums, etc...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.