Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Redesign of website

Featured Replies

that's an unusual colour for a site - especially an accountant's site - but it really works!

 

use proper paragraphs <p> not 2 <br>s ;) and some headings too!

 

don't forget your favicon (you have a good logo for that ;) try http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

 

"Fee's " no apostrophe.

 

all those images should be gifs or 8-bit pngs NOT jpegs (apart from the photo of course)and remember your alt attributes

 

use ul and li when you make a list

 

good looking so far

yes, the colours work nicely although the image just doesn't fit right with the purple?

 

and maybe too many different font sizes?

 

the bullet points aren't indented.

nice site, mate ;)

but do not use uppercase fonts for the menu ... its harder to read ...

  • Author

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. I am busy implementing some of the changes such as paragraphs and lists. I have tried to convert the Jpegs into Gifs but the image quality gets very bad. Is there anything I can do otherwise I may have to stick with Jpegs.

 

Thanks again

Try increasing your line spacing using the CSS property line-height which I find makes it easier to read and it just looks better.

 

Also try decreasing you font size slightly.

Its a vast improvement on the original site, but i think it is lacking a little in flare and originality... just seems a bit too dull. Maybe a footer aswell?

Instantly it is a major improvement of the original site. I like the header, menu and colours.

 

The content seems split nicely. I'd recommend adding some custom bullet icons to your list and maybe reducing the font size and/or line-height. Maybe add in a line to separate the content from the right sidebar.

 

let us know when you've finished the rest of the site, I'd love to see how you finish it up and what the other content pages look like.

  • 2 weeks later...

I agree - huge improvement over old site.

 

Obviously still work to be done but should be good when it's finished. As a suggestion use a font size about the same as used in these posts. It's far more professional looking especially for a business such as this.

 

I think if I could offer some advice with this one - focus on the functionality and make sure all the links / contact form / etc works perfectly. The site itself should then do well. Don't overcomplicate things or try to be too clever with it. You've made a good start - just need to follow it through and add the finishing touches.

First thing that went through my mind when I saw this layout was 'how are the mountains relevant?' The practice is in Berkshire, not the Scottish Highlands. If you're going to use an image there, I think it really needs to be relevant, or part of the company branding. For example, it would work if the slogan was 'at the peak of our profession' or something similar.

 

Aside from that, the site is nice and clean but still needs a little tidying up, particularly in terms of typography. Your copy has no headings, and there's nothing to separate the testimonials from the rest of the copy. This really needs to be visually separated, either with a heading or with a horizontal rule, or some other identifying feature.

 

I don't like the purple square on the right with the call to action on it - it's too heavy for the page and the text doesn't have enough padding IMO.

 

Code wise it's a bit of a mess really. Your CSS really should be in a separate file, and the inline styles should be removed and replaced with classes which can be styled in the external stylesheet. You also have some <li> tags without any <ul> or <ol> container, and way too many <div>s - that's being picky, of course you will pick up better coding techniques over time.

 

As the others have said, it's already a big improvement on the old site, so you can only get better now :)

  • Author

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. It has really given me an idea of what I need to do too improve. As for the code @notbanksy, I have just bought a book called build your own website the right way using html & css. It teaches you all the right ways of doing things which suits me perfectly. I think that will help me with my sloppy code

 

I have also just remade the website where I have used div tags and css instead of layers. It seems to work well for me because the white space is expandable and the layers aren't flying everywhere when I make a change. Please check it out at www.kingcott.co.uk/test/divtagtest.html

 

I think a lot of people are not too keen on the mountains. There's no way I am getting rid of them now because my Dad won't let me :p The text "giving you the support you need for the challenges ahead" is meant to support the image but maybe "at the peak of our profession" is more direct and suitable. I have just spent a few minutes adjusting the site so the text is hopefully more eye-catching. Check it out at http://www.kingcott.co.uk/test/divtagtest2.html

It has a totally different feel and I am not sure if I prefer it or not. Please let me know guys which one you prefer.

 

Thanks, Calebk

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.