Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What PHP framework do you use?

Featured Replies

There are tons of PHP framework out there but what PHP framework do you use?

In my team, we use CodeIgniter because it has a good and clean documentation, easy to learn, and in

addition It is the only framework praised by Rasmus Lerdof.

 

How about you, what PHP framework do you use?

I don't use a framework. I like the idea that I've done it myself rather than left it to some framework :)

I'm writing my own at the moment, based on a model view controller architecture. It's pretty lightweight and does only what we need it to do as a business. At my last employment we used the Zend framework, which I must admit I found to be needlessly lofty.

Am forcing myself to learn a framework - but barely get time as I'm really busy at work currently. Am starting with Smarty - have been going through a book that makes an ecommerce store using Smarty - amk about half way through.

 

Found it pretty hard at the start, but once you get over that initial learning curve everything makes a lot more sense.

 

Smarty is a template engine, not a framework. A rather bad one too! Check out http://nosmarty.net/ for a few reasons.

 

I'm using CodeIgniter at the moment and it's great, however it does have a few limitations. I'm using it mainly because the ExpressionEngine CMS is built upon it and it's my CMS of choice. For smaller projects, one of the guys in the office has written his own lightweight MVC framework which suits our needs perfectly.

 

I would like to check out CakePHP in more detail too as im told it's much better than CodeIgniter

 

As for Jordans reply saying "i like the idea that I've done it myself rather than left it to some framework" I find that a little silly.

Frameworks will speed up development time and make things much more managable especially for larger projects. I like to do things myself too but I don't like to reinvent the wheel, especially when there are solid relaible "tried and tested" wheels out there. Frameworks simply provide basic libraries for common things such as sessions, databases, ftp, validation etc. I would write my own classes to handle these but there is no point when the frameworks provide solid bug-free ones for you. Of course they are easy to extend if they do not suit my needs.

As a im just learning php myself, Can someone explain what a framework is for? My understanding so far is that it is like a base that you can build upon. Does it include basic security functions and so on?

 

:) Thanks

As a im just learning php myself, Can someone explain what a framework is for? My understanding so far is that it is like a base that you can build upon. Does it include basic security functions and so on?

 

:) Thanks

 

The point of a framework is to make it easier to develop applications by taking care of common tasks for you from things like cleaning users input to database interaction, session management, validation, templating, email, encryption etc.

 

They are usually based on the Model View Controller (MVC) which seperates code into three parts, data access/manipulation (model), application presentation (view) and application logic (controller).

 

They can take a while to learn and get your head around the concept but after using a framework for a while it speeds up development time and encourages the re-use of code. I've developed libraries for certain projects that I can simply and seamlessly use for other projects.

 

I've linked the wikipedia article on MVC if you want to know more.

The point of a framework is to make it easier to develop applications by taking care of common tasks for you from things like cleaning users input to database interaction, session management, validation, templating, email, encryption etc.

 

They are usually based on the Model View Controller (MVC) which seperates code into three parts, data access/manipulation (model), application presentation (view) and application logic (controller).

 

They can take a while to learn and get your head around the concept but after using a framework for a while it speeds up development time and encourages the re-use of code. I've developed libraries for certain projects that I can simply and seamlessly use for other projects.

 

I've linked the wikipedia article on MVC if you want to know more.

 

Thanks dude +1 :) I will take a look!

i have heard about framework symphony.any body use it? i am a newbie i am interested to use framework

i have heard about framework symphony.any body use it? i am a newbie i am interested to use framework

 

Before I learnt jQuery I used Xajax which is not really a complete framework and a bit outdated now but pretty cool and VERY easy to use. I think it might be similar to Symphony.

  • 2 weeks later...

I only use framework for large projects. For small website it is much easily to just use Pear libraries.

 

For large ones, I use codeigniter. The framework requires everyone in the time follow the same coding styles and it will be easier to manage/maintain in the future.

 

Code Igniter

I don't use a framework. I like the idea that I've done it myself rather than left it to some framework :)

 

Yh, I like to do things myself.

Can someone give a basic overview of a framework e.g. Code Igniter - What functions are built in etc?

I use Zend Framework.

 

It's a good rule of thumb that before you use one of the biggies (Zend, Cake, Symfony etc), you should have done enough development to be a good way along toward writing your own framework. After that you can transition to using an established framework, but without actually coming up against some of the problems the framework is attempting to solve you'll never understand the rationale behind how the framework solves it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.