Everything posted by MikeGC
-
Bluehost.com
American hosts are just as bad/good as UK ones can be. You still get what you pay for, but you can get cheaper but just as good quality from the US< partly to do with the exchange rate.
-
new laptop - any recomendations?
My girlfriend has an HP laptop and its really good. My parents recently bought a £300 laptop from Fujitsu Siemens and are happy with it, its a bit slow for my liking, but its cheap but seems to work fine for them as they just use word/email and wireless internet.
-
Its 3 am. What the bloody hell are you doing on here?
OK, let me rephrase then I used to stay up till 3-4am regularly as a student, now I am lucky if its past midnight as I get up at 7am and I like my sleep
-
My Design
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get working on another version
-
Its 3 am. What the bloody hell are you doing on here?
If you force yourself up at 7am every day for a week, you will soon fall out of the habit of staying up late! Wish i didnt have to get up early
-
My Design
Its not really a kids site per say, its more for the parents to find out about the classes that they run, I just want a bit of a kiddie theme but the site is aimed at adults.
-
Which HDTV?
I'm looking at getting a new TV once i've saved up enough money, cause the one I have now is my grannys old one and about 15 years old, and I like new stuff I am looking at getting something about 37", and been looking at reviews suggesting that there is not much difference between full and regular at this size, only when you go to 50" is it worth getting full HD. I am mainly looking at the Samsung 37" - LE37R87BDX I dont actually have anything HD to plug into it yet though, I get can HD programes off the internet and they look great on my 17" PC moniter, but wondering how I can get them onto the TV, I know I could get a DVI ->HDMI cable, but this wouldnt include the sound and would be a pain to plug stuff in and out of my PC - is there an easier way? Also looking at tgetting a 800w sound system with a dvd player upscaler - Samsung HT-TX35R Home Theatre System. Is his a good one to get? Cheers!
-
My Design
Here is an updated version. I tried going crazy with some other layouts and colours, but they ended up look rather bad. I made it look cartoony with black lines around the main elements. I want to do something with the logo text but not sure what exactly.
-
£95,000,000 Lotto Jackpot tomorrow!
oh god, the daydreaming begins of all the stuff I want to buy, but I never win anything so I just feel sad. Once Ihad a dream that I won, and when I woke up I swore I was rich, but no, I was still poor!
-
Virgin Media 50MB Broadband
Eat my dust sucker
-
Virgin Media 50MB Broadband
Definitely, if you really want a rock solid connection, your going to have to pay a good price for it. For those who dont mind a bit of slowdown and cant afford paying lots, then the cheaper ones will have to do.
-
My Design
Ok, im thinking to make it more cartoony, a bit like its been made partly by colouring pencils, that sort of thing, need to go back to the drawing board as it was originally just an experiment with green
-
My Design
Hey, I am currently thinking of redoing a friends site which is a small business which is like a play group for children basically. I did the original design in 2005 and its looking a bit old now, and is using tables, so could be much nicer. I am thinking of a green design, and came up with this. Is it too green? Its meant to be nice and friendly, but I think maybe its a bit aggressive? Thanks!
-
best remote desktop software
Is this over internet or network? I used to use http://www.realvnc.com/ a few years ago over network. not sure what it is like over the internet.
-
Sky+ Recording full show if it has already started?
Its always recording, but only they channel that you are on (otherwise it would have to record 1000 channels and have 1000 inputs, which is a lot of cables! ) so if you watch a program from the beginning then press record after a while, it will put the currently recording part on it for you.
-
Any advice would be appreciated
Good luck, another good question is how big is the company/team you will be working with. It was a question I used when I had my interview in November and I got the job
-
The worst web designers in the world
Those designs are spot on, I love the retro frames they use. Makes me feel warm inside
-
Virgin Media 50MB Broadband
I live really close to an exchange, currently on 8mb, but will be going to 16mb soon. Although 50Mb sounds great, i like to download more than 3Gb
-
Virgin Media 50MB Broadband
Virgin also have horrible bandwidth restrictions. You may get 50mb, but if u download more than a few gig they slow you riiiight down!
-
Heart Internet
I really want to go with heart, but I cant afford it at the moment, when I have some clients they maybe I will resell, but right now I can't afford it with my current job and all the other bills I have.
-
Sci-Fi
I believe that is only true in Canada for music, might be wrong though. Yours just hard to catch a prove if you don't upload anything
-
Lost Season 4 starts tomorrow!
I like and hate lost at the same time. I think its getting too long maybe.
-
The most boring game since ghost-free pacman...
Maybe they should make a walking simulator with a treadmill add on for more realism. What about swim simulator with a free paddling pool
-
vista pretty much sucks...
Yeah, I've been running 64bit OS for about 2 years now. Most things run pretty well on it. Sometimes they don't though, for example apache, unless they have updated it recently wouldn't run on XP64, haven't tried vista. Occasionally drivers wont work, but this is usually with cheaper or older hardware. The only problem I have had it keyboard drivers (no big deal really) and a USB PCI expansion card that wouldnt work on Vista. Maya worked fine, though had a few little bugs, though its been over 6 months since I used it. Often I will flick from vista theme to classic as some software doesnt run properly with the 'skin' (like flash). Hopefully we will see some big updates in SP1 (which I have been told that we will by a beta tester friend of mine). As for people saying Microsoft should have made Vista 'better'. I do believe this is the last OS to run on this kernel, unfortunatly,, if you want something revolutionary in an OS, your old software may not work, especially if that are changing how the OS fundamentally works. Would you be happy on a new OS if none of your software would work (or at least until developers get their ass in gear and update, and given that its taken over 3 years for 64bit software from some companies, I am sceptical), but the OS was awesome and completely bug free? I know I probably don't have all my facts right, but I havn't been so up to date, and some is hear-say too
-
creating a simple CMS
Hey all, I am trying to finish of a website for my sister, who knows nothing about web design and expects me to teach her how to make one... so I am making it using php and databases. Basically I have most of it done, like a gallery and some events and fixtures (its for a rugby club). She wants to be able to edit the from page which has quite a bit of text and an image. I have tried doing a simple way by just displaying the code in a text area and submitting to a database. However I don't trust her to code. The other problem is when I try editing the content, at the moment it comes up with an error because there are a number of ' and " which messes up the insert into the database. I thought of using \ and the stripslashes but that doesn't seem to help escape the quotation marks. How can I do this, and also what is the best way to create a simple online WISIWYG, or are there any free ones out there that I could steal temporarily until I build my own. Thanks!