Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

.co vs .co.uk

Featured Replies

Which do you guys think is better and more 'professional'?

 

I first bought my .co domain name and have coded the site under that, yesterday I also bought the .co.uk domain name and now I'm too'ing and fro'ing on which should be the main one. I can't afford .com yet as it is £1500 - ridiculous, I hate those companies that buy domain names just to sell on, going off on a tangent is there anyway I can get the .com for a reasonable price?

 

Anyway, I got the .co as it was supposed to be a good alternative for .com but it hasn't really taken off and seems to have become synonymous with url shorteners, my problem with .co.uk is that my site is an international site and having a .co.uk seems to take away from it's 'internationalness' and makes it seem smaller and less important.

 

Are there any other alternatives that you guys like using, .net doesn't really do it for me and .org is taken...

If your site is international then don't go with the co.uk. In this instance i'd go with the .co. It's not really about whether it's taken off or not. So long as you SEO properly and your promotional material is decent, people will know how to find you.

Again, not everyone will agree on this but from my experience I would take a .co.uk over a .co any day of the week. I'd also always try to bag the .com wherever possible.

Again, not everyone will agree on this but from my experience I would take a .co.uk over a .co any day of the week.

 

Even if the site is international?

I mean i can understand it if you're a British institution such as the BBC (bbc.co.uk) but for a smaller business trying to be worldwide i can imagine the co.uk domain putting off overseas shoppers. I know it'd put me off if i went to a site to buy something and the domain had a .aus domain or similar. I'd click right off.

Even if the site is international?

I mean i can understand it if you're a British institution such as the BBC (bbc.co.uk) but for a smaller business trying to be worldwide i can imagine the co.uk domain putting off overseas shoppers. I know it'd put me off if i went to a site to buy something and the domain had a .aus domain or similar. I'd click right off.

 

I think I'm just not a big fan of the .co really. In that scenario I'd get both .co.uk and com if possible and use the .com for the site (just have the .co.uk redirecting with a 301 to the mywebsitename.com).

 

If I couldn't get them with the name I had in mind I'd think of a different name.

 

That's just the way I do it, but I know others have success with .net

 

One thing I'd say to the op is the .org would unlikely be suitable for you

Edited by oakleaves

I'm not a huge fan of .co, simply because too many folks will misremember or mistype it as .com and go somewhere completely different.

Edited by Renaissance-Design

I'm not a fan of .co pretty much for the same reason Renaissance mentions.

 

Also, cant blame people for buying up domains to resell for profit. Especially if its a pretty broad domain.

 

Would help to know what your business is OP, then maybe folks here could make alternative .com suggestions?

Edited by jamesosix

  • Author

Cheers for the replays guys

 

I agree with you that I don't really fancy .co all that much but I also agree with Mike that internationally .co is more appealing

 

The site isn't really a business as such, would be awesome if one day it went that way but it's not important at this stage, I'm just doing it as a project.

 

The site is a discovery engine and it's called DelveDeeper... DelveDeeper into the Internet... Lol

 

I'd love the .com but not for £1500 maybe the .net would be suitable I just can't decide.

 

James, I'd deffinetely be up to here some alternate name suggestions

Edited by adamsmith

cant you "whois" the .com domain and find out when the domain expires??

 

if you dont show interest, with any luck the company will not renew the domain

All these are available:

 

DelveDeeperThan.com

DelveDeeperStill.com

DelveDeeperInto.com

DelveDeeperNow.com

DelveDeeperToday.com

 

and ofcourse:

DelvedeeperIntoTheInternet.com

DelvedeeperIntoTheNet.com

 

Just some quick suggestions for you to think about.

 

Nice site btw, never noticed the sig :p

 

Good luck :D

Edited by jamesosix

Cheers for the replays guys

 

I agree with you that I don't really fancy .co all that much but I also agree with Mike that internationally .co is more appealing

 

The site isn't really a business as such, would be awesome if one day it went that way but it's not important at this stage, I'm just doing it as a project.

 

The site is a discovery engine and it's called DelveDeeper... DelveDeeper into the Internet... Lol

 

I'd love the .com but not for £1500 maybe the .net would be suitable I just can't decide.

 

James, I'd deffinetely be up to here some alternate name suggestions

 

 

I'm also with the others about .co, it seems incomplete but i still prefer it over '.co.uk' for what you are doing. Maybe a .net would suit?

 

What about 'delvedeep.er'

  • Author

cant you "whois" the .com domain and find out when the domain expires??

 

if you dont show interest, with any luck the company will not renew the domain

Ha yeah I've thought about that lol, the site expires in November this year and has been registered for the last 8 years, I'm hoping that they took out an 8year block and will decide not to renew it, can't see it though :(

 

All these are available:

 

DelveDeeperThan.com

DelveDeeperStill.com

DelveDeeperInto.com

DelveDeeperNow.com

DelveDeeperToday.com

 

and ofcourse:

DelvedeeperIntoTheInternet.com

DelvedeeperIntoTheNet.com

 

Just some quick suggestions for you to think about.

 

Nice site btw, never noticed the sig :p

 

Good luck :D

Cheers James. I've looked at longer suggestions like that but I think I want to keep it short and sweet, starts getting a bit complicated and IMO less 'professional' the longer the name gets lol

  • Author

I'm also with the others about .co, it seems incomplete but i still prefer it over '.co.uk' for what you are doing. Maybe a .net would suit?

 

What about 'delvedeep.er'

I actually looked at that last night, .er and .dd are both domain names that have been stopped lol, just my luck

Edited by adamsmith

Ah, that's a shame. I suppose you could always bastardise your sites spelling (DelveDeepr etc) but ould you really want to do that?

 

I'd say in this instance that .net would be fine as technically you're creating a network of sites for the user to discover ala 'Stumble Upon'.

  • Author

Ah, that's a shame. I suppose you could always bastardise your sites spelling (DelveDeepr etc) but ould you really want to do that?

 

I'd say in this instance that .net would be fine as technically you're creating a network of sites for the user to discover ala 'Stumble Upon'.

haha, that's an amazing name why didn't I think of that

 

Yeah I might go for .net and change my tag line from 'Discover the Internet' to 'Discover the Net' or something like that

Ha yeah I've thought about that lol, the site expires in November this year and has been registered for the last 8 years, I'm hoping that they took out an 8year block and will decide not to renew it, can't see it though :(

 

 

Cheers James. I've looked at longer suggestions like that but I think I want to keep it short and sweet, starts getting a bit complicated and IMO less 'professional' the longer the name gets lol

You would be surprised how longer domains are becoming more popular, but I know what you mean.

 

No worries, good luck with whatever you decide :)

  • Author

Well I have all 3 now it's just a case of which one looks better...

 

www.delvedeeper.co

www.delvedeeper.co.uk

www.delvedeeper.net

  • Author

.co.uk

Even on an international level?

 

Do you think I'm wrong in assuming that a .co.uk makes a site seem 'smaller' and less important on an international scale?

 

For instance, as a crazy example, would Twitter and Facebook be as big now is they were facebook.aus and twitter.aus, would this have you put you off using them?

Even on an international level?

 

Do you think I'm wrong in assuming that a .co.uk makes a site seem 'smaller' and less important on an international scale?

 

For instance, as a crazy example, would Twitter and Facebook be as big now is they were facebook.aus and twitter.aus, would this have you put you off using them?

amazon has diffenent urls for diff countries and they are huge

  • Author

amazon has diffenent urls for diff countries and they are huge

That's because you use the url of the country you are in... surely

I like the .net version op...plus it also kinda relates to "delve deeper into the (.)net"? :p

That's because you use the url of the country you are in... surely

Yes, but I'm just making the point that amazon doesn't seem "small" because it has .co.uk

amazon has diffenent urls for diff countries

 

Which is pretty much the point we're making. If you can afford an all encompassing tld as well as country specific ones then that would be awesome but in most of us just the all encompassing version is best.

  • Author

Yes, but I'm just making the point that amazon doesn't seem "small" because it has .co.uk

I know, but what I meant was, to us using Amazon.co.uk doesn't seem small, but would as many people in the UK use Amazon if they had to use amazon.de, I suspect not...

 

So what I was trying to ask, would it put people in different countries off using my site if it was .co.uk

  • Author

I like the .net version op...plus it also kinda relates to "delve deeper into the (.)net"? :p

Yeah I like that lol, I think I might use the .net until hopefully the .com becomes available, and if not then nvm, I don't think it's worth £1500

I know, but what I meant was, to us using Amazon.co.uk doesn't seem small, but would as many people in the UK use Amazon if they had to use amazon.de, I suspect not...

 

So what I was trying to ask, would it put people in different countries off using my site if it was .co.uk

some might i suppose, but .co.uk is quite a legit and "trustworthy" tld (IMO others mat disagrea)

some might i suppose, but .co.uk is quite a legit and "trustworthy" tld (IMO others mat disagrea)

 

I don't think it's anything to do with it being legit, more to do with the perceived vastness that a site doing this sort of thing commends.

The idea of 'Delving Deeper' is something that makes me think of the whole net. We know the TLD doesn't matter but does the general public?

 

I'd grab the .net version before some domain grabbing b'stard does.

  • Author

I don't think it's anything to do with it being legit, more to do with the perceived vastness that a site doing this sort of thing commends.

The idea of 'Delving Deeper' is something that makes me think of the whole net. We know the TLD doesn't matter but does the general public?

 

I'd grab the .net version before some domain grabbing b'stard does.

Done it already :D

 

got .net .co and .co.uk

 

someone else has .org and will probs want .com when it expires if it isn't renewed, gonna be up all night watching that clock the night before lol. I don't really know what will happen if it expires, will it just suddenly become available for normal price like £10 or whatever?

Done it already :D

 

got .net .co and .co.uk

 

someone else has .org and will probs want .com when it expires if it isn't renewed, gonna be up all night watching that clock the night before lol. I don't really know what will happen if it expires, will it just suddenly become available for normal price like £10 or whatever?

It doesn't actually expire on that day, it goes in to a 'holding area' as such, so the current owner has a chance to renew (if it isn't on auto renew). Domains don't just become immediately available, it can take 30-45 days?

It doesn't actually expire on that day, it goes in to a 'holding area' as such, so the current owner has a chance to renew (if it isn't on auto renew). Domains don't just become immediately available, it can take 30-45 days?

 

Yeah that can be a nightmare, should be a law or something less official that takes names away from hoarders if they aren't using it and can't provide sufficient proof of intended future use.

Which do you guys think is better and more 'professional'?

 

I first bought my .co domain name and have coded the site under that, yesterday I also bought the .co.uk domain name and now I'm too'ing and fro'ing on which should be the main one. I can't afford .com yet as it is £1500 - ridiculous, I hate those companies that buy domain names just to sell on, going off on a tangent is there anyway I can get the .com for a reasonable price?

 

Anyway, I got the .co as it was supposed to be a good alternative for .com but it hasn't really taken off and seems to have become synonymous with url shorteners, my problem with .co.uk is that my site is an international site and having a .co.uk seems to take away from it's 'internationalness' and makes it seem smaller and less important.

 

Are there any other alternatives that you guys like using, .net doesn't really do it for me and .org is taken...

Easy, it's .co.uk. When you think about both the number of business using it and the marketing spend behind it, it's no comparison.

 

I do like .co though, but I'd always want a .co.uk, and secondly, the .com/.org from a UK perspective.

.co is absolutely fime for seo. Only issue I have with mine is people always question if it is meant to be .com or .co.uk, like I made I mistake! I now have the .co.uk after some negotiation and will soon be launching a redesign on the new domain.

  • Author

Easy, it's .co.uk. When you think about both the number of business using it and the marketing spend behind it, it's no comparison.

 

I do like .co though, but I'd always want a .co.uk, and secondly, the .com/.org from a UK perspective.

That's the whole point of this conversation, try looking at it from a foreign persons/international perspective, not a UK one, they won't really care about a .co.uk just as we don't care about .ch .aus etc etc

 

And apparanty .net is the 3rd biggest used after .com and strangely .de

Honestly, I think the fact that this thread has gone on so much is a little tedious.

 

I don't believe any of this "psychology" exists, if someone is going to directly type in your address, they have already decided to visit your website. They are not going to stop and change their mind because there is a "uk" affixed on the end, that is just patently ridiculous.

 

There are probably millions of .co.uk websites that attract global audiences. My music site experiences significant global traffic - in fact only 49% is actually from the UK, and I have a .co.uk domain.

 

I do think the concerns raised about the .co domain are fair enough. Personally, every time I see one I think "huh, where's the uk?" and frankly I think it's just confusing. It is not a familiar domain name, hardly anybody uses them and the general internet user is likely to be unfamiliar with it - for me this is enough of a reason to avoid it.

 

With the .co.uk domain, however, it's recognised world over and is not going to have an adverse effect on your website. It's not going to put anyone, anywhere, off visiting.

 

Buy it.

  • Author

Honestly, I think the fact that this thread has gone on so much is a little tedious.

 

I don't believe any of this "psychology" exists, if someone is going to directly type in your address, they have already decided to visit your website. They are not going to stop and change their mind because there is a "uk" affixed on the end, that is just patently ridiculous.

 

There are probably millions of .co.uk websites that attract global audiences. My music site experiences significant global traffic - in fact only 49% is actually from the UK, and I have a .co.uk domain.

 

I do think the concerns raised about the .co domain are fair enough. Personally, every time I see one I think "huh, where's the uk?" and frankly I think it's just confusing. It is not a familiar domain name, hardly anybody uses them and the general internet user is likely to be unfamiliar with it - for me this is enough of a reason to avoid it.

 

With the .co.uk domain, however, it's recognised world over and is not going to have an adverse effect on your website. It's not going to put anyone, anywhere, off visiting.

 

Buy it.

I think that is pretty valid tbf

Honestly, I think the fact that this thread has gone on so much is a little tedious.

Yet he adds to it anyway! :p

Got nothing to add, but i thought i'd keep the thread going....

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.