Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

responsive design

Featured Replies

Anyone done anything with this or you got a live site i can look at?

 

I'm about to start a build using responsive design no doubt going to be fun and a bit of a learning curve anyone fancy joining me on the project, its for me and could do with some help 

I have also been thinking about getting a responsive website on the go.

 

So I would love to help but I will only slow you down.

 

Good luck, have fun and keep us updated on your progress.

Is responsive web design the solution, or would it not be better to have different sites for certain situations, like mobile browsers?

 

I doubt very much it will be possible to have a 'one size fits all' design anyway, and as far as I am aware that's what the objective is?

 

Amendment to my previous comment - I can see why the industry is looking at this as the way forward.

 

Here are some good examples (apparently):-

 

http://owltastic.com/

http://www.glitch.com/

http://sasquatchfestival.com/

 

 

<offtopic>

does anyone know what the font used here is please?

http://sasquatchfestival.com/static/img/sasquatch_logo_bw.png

</offtopic>

Edited by oakleaves

  • Author

Is responsive web design the solution, or would it not be better to have different sites for certain situations, like mobile browsers?

 

I doubt very much it will be possible to have a 'one size fits all' design anyway, and as far as I am aware that's what the objective is?

 

Amendment to my previous comment - I can see why the industry is looking at this as the way forward.

 

Here are some good examples (apparently):-

 

http://owltastic.com/

http://www.glitch.com/

http://sasquatchfestival.com/

 

 

<offtopic>

does anyone know what the font used here is please?

http://sasquatchfestival.com/static/img/sasquatch_logo_bw.png

</offtopic>

 

I read something someplace recently when I was researching all the build that before long if your not doing responsive design your not a web designer apparently! Was an interesting read, however I have been interested in it for sometime there are some better sites than that out there as good examples.

 

If done correctly I don't think there is a need for a site for this and that

 

Found a few interesting designs

 

http://webdesignledger.com/inspiration/30-creative-examples-of-responsive-web-design

Edited by pandadoodle

As much as like it i can't help thinking that plays havoc with usability.

 

99% of the time it will only be viewed at one size - it's only us curious buggers who resize things.

I know what you're saying (and yes i did resize it several times :p ) but i personally browse sites on 4 different size screens (Laptop, Desktop, Tablet, Mobile). It's bad enough when sites force you to drop in to a mobile version but have the main navigation hiding from me...

One recent major site that has gone responsive is http://bostonglobe.com/

 

I hate it when a site forces a "mobile" site on me, at least without giving me an option to view the "full" version.

 

My current way of thinking about "mobile" site versions is that they should only be needed if it makes sense to do so. For something like a blog site I'd say you only need a responsive version, but for say a large complex graphic heavy ecommerce site then a smartphone version would make sense so phone visitors could focus on key tasks.

I know what you're saying (and yes i did resize it several times :p ) but i personally browse sites on 4 different size screens (Laptop, Desktop, Tablet, Mobile). It's bad enough when sites force you to drop in to a mobile version but have the main navigation hiding from me...

 

Maybe here's where I fall short - I don't do much mobile / tablet browsing.

 

 

Is responsive design really the way forward?

This is where web design stops being fun and starts being a chore for me. Yet another thing I need to worry about. As if there wasn't before!

Edited by oakleaves

Responsive design is the next big topic we can put next topics like should should I be using CSS3 and HTML 5 and the big one should I support IE6.

 

With so many browsers and platforms to view websites on it does make webdesign and development a challenging career choice.

 

With so many people out there creating "websites" and I put websites in "" because I am talking about those cheap £100 for lifetime support and 1000 pages (exaggerating a bit but I am sure you get my point). Being able to offer clients a responsive website that will be awesome across all platforms and browsers will be an added benefit to any portfolio.

http://fromhtml.com not finished though.

 

 

Only Changes at 1080, 1280,1366 width.

 

 

Hoping to get 1920 done today, tomorrow. Then Mobile Sites

Edited by whyelse

  • Author

Maybe here's where I fall short - I don't do much mobile / tablet browsing.

 

 

Is responsive design really the way forward?

 

Yes as for the mobile forced version for stores there is no reason with a bit of effort and some magic you could work a real unique responsive shop into a mobile or tablet application this would open up a whole new choice and doors to the online retailer.

 

With mobile / tablet browsing on the rise there is no reason to avoid it but embrace it. Its whats going to make you stand out from the rest sooner or later, Its something I'm working on for my new site redesign as well as two personal projects which are focused heavily on responsive and mobile browsing.

 

This is one of the sites that really got me into responsive http://clearairchallenge.com/

  • Author

http://fromhtml.com not finished though.

 

 

Only Changes at 1080, 1280,1366 width.

 

 

Hoping to get 1920 done today, tomorrow. Then Mobile Sites

 

Nice effort with the responsive however there is a fair bit of work needed on the basics there in terms of layout etc

  • Author

One recent major site that has gone responsive is http://bostonglobe.com/

 

They done a big PR bit on it can't find the video now :( that site even detects land scape / portrait and adjust content

 

EDIT

 

http://www.webmonkey.com/2011/09/the-boston-globe-embraces-responsive-design/

Edited by pandadoodle

I'm not sure what it is that's bothering me about this whole thing.. I could be wrong but this is almost like trying to make a square peg fit a round hole.

 

The mobile technology should be coming into line with the web, not vice versa.

 

I am quite tired though so in the morning I may look back at this and think 'what a jerk'.

 

My customers up to now have all told me their sites work well on their Apple devices etc and I believe this is in part to me ensuring my work is fully validated. For me, that's enough for now but I will look into this further in a few weeks.

 

Thanks for bringing this subject to my attention anyway.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, keep us all updated. This is something I want to get into too when I have the time. I recently bought the book Responsive Web Design by Ethan Marcotte highly recommended but I haven't got round to reading it yet, looks promising though.

The mobile technology should be coming into line with the web, not vice versa.

 

I have to disagree there, as web designers/developers it's our job to build sites for any device, screen size what have you. Modern mobile technology is no different from a desktop PC, except the smaller screen size :)

 

My customers up to now have all told me their sites work well on their Apple devices etc and I believe this is in part to me ensuring my work is fully validated. For me, that's enough for now but I will look into this further in a few weeks.

"Standard" sites generally work fairly well on devices like tablets because they scale to content to fit and already work on a larger screen resolution, so for the most part you don't have to do anything special for say iPads, though it's worth testing on these sort of devices because there may be some sites that need different styling to suit them.

 

The biggie is of course smartphones which we'll all have to learn to cater for, that's basically where responsive design will score the most points. Yet another art to master!

I have to disagree there, as web designers/developers it's our job to build sites for any device, screen size what have you. Modern mobile technology is no different from a desktop PC, except the smaller screen size :)

 

 

"Standard" sites generally work fairly well on devices like tablets because they scale to content to fit and already work on a larger screen resolution, so for the most part you don't have to do anything special for say iPads, though it's worth testing on these sort of devices because there may be some sites that need different styling to suit them.

 

The biggie is of course smartphones which we'll all have to learn to cater for, that's basically where responsive design will score the most points. Yet another art to master!

 

Yeah, I can see you are right. I guess I was just digging my heals in a bit!

 

If I don't look into this I am going to be left behind..

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.