Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My Band's Site

Featured Replies

Hello all,

 

This is the first proper website I've ever had 'go live'. It's quite rudimentary but I thought 'Keep it simple!' and browser-friendly was better than bells & whistles first time around.

 

I'm in the process of designing something a little more swish. However, I'd really appreciate any feedback on this page.

 

thejoeheapquartet.co.uk (The forum won't let me post a link; I'm not active enough apparently!)

It's fine, should probably tried to inject more design into it.... I can imagine this skipping the key parts of the process and going straight into development.

It's ok... I might have made more pages, it is a little confusing to look at and done something with the black and white images perhaps highlighted an object with a color.

I like the style you have done, with black and white.

  • Author

Too many font styles for one page

 

How so? Too much with the itals in the biog bits?

 

It's fine, should probably tried to inject more design into it.... I can imagine this skipping the key parts of the process and going straight into development.

 

It was a 'quick' job. I don't, if I'm honest, know what the 'key parts of the process' are; I just design stuff on spec and get it out as fast as needs be. Care to enlighten me a little?

 

 

It's ok... I might have made more pages, it is a little confusing to look at and done something with the black and white images perhaps highlighted an object with a color.

 

Adding more pages is something I'm a little lost with; nobody seems to be able to answer my question! If I were to add a separate page for the 'about' and then separate pages for 'music' and 'contact' what do I do as far as the header/nav goes? Just recreate the whole page with different info underneath the header? Some kind of server side 'dump the info in this bit of the page' script?

 

 

I like the style you have done, with black and white.

 

Cheers, Wmichael. Simple is the name of the game!

Yeah really like the tone too

  • Author

Yeah really like the tone too

 

Thanks, jheg.

 

 

Adding more pages is something I'm a little lost with; nobody seems to be able to answer my question! If I were to add a separate page for the 'about' and then separate pages for 'music' and 'contact' what do I do as far as the header/nav goes? Just recreate the whole page with different info underneath the header? Some kind of server side 'dump the info in this bit of the page' script?

 

 

 

 

Cheers, Wmichael. Simple is the name of the game!

 

yes, that's correct however I don't see why you'd need to create more pages, I like the way it is, there isn't enough information to have several pages, you'll have several empty pages so I'd keep it like this if I was you but what about adding at the end of each section "back to top" link that will take you back to the top of the page?

 

I'd put the contact form on the same page too so you keep the consistency of the design, at the moment it is just a link that people click to open the contact form, try to put it on the index page like you did with everything else.

 

pictures of the band's memeber aren't loading in my computer so you'd better check this out

 

website is nice, diffrent from the templates you'll find on the web but that's good :)

 

the media section contains too much white space, delete the space between lines and it will look much tidier.

  • Author

Does seem a bit like i'm looking at it before the CSS loads and i'm sitting there waiting. Needs something but i can't quite put my finger on what.

 

I've spent a day or so looking back at it and I know what you mean; I can't quite find 'that thing' that is really going to bring it alive.

 

 

yes, that's correct however I don't see why you'd need to create more pages, I like the way it is, there isn't enough information to have several pages, you'll have several empty pages so I'd keep it like this if I was you but what about adding at the end of each section "back to top" link that will take you back to the top of the page?

 

I'd put the contact form on the same page too so you keep the consistency of the design, at the moment it is just a link that people click to open the contact form, try to put it on the index page like you did with everything else.

 

pictures of the band's memeber aren't loading in my computer so you'd better check this out

 

website is nice, diffrent from the templates you'll find on the web but that's good :)

 

the media section contains too much white space, delete the space between lines and it will look much tidier.

 

Too much white space you say? Cool. Will tinker with it a shade. I'm a print/article designer mainly so the 'white space = good space' rule is kinda ingrained!

 

The band pics aren't there; I put placeholders in. Will Ps something a little better!

 

Thanks for the support, all!

Adding more pages is something I'm a little lost with; nobody seems to be able to answer my question! If I were to add a separate page for the 'about' and then separate pages for 'music' and 'contact' what do I do as far as the header/nav goes? Just recreate the whole page with different info underneath the header? Some kind of server side 'dump the info in this bit of the page' script

 

Cheers, Wmichael. Simple is the name of the game!

 

This may help: PHP include tutorial!

what bomb said, use PHP includes, its like an iframe, but better :) you link it to an external file, and the php processor on the server will take the code on that file, and put it on the webpage. The viewer will see the source code as it would if there was no includes. The visitor will never know php includes have been used!

 

<?php include_once('navbar.php'); ?>

 

just change the navbar.php to the file which contains the navbar, and put that line of cod where you want the navbar to appear :)

what bomb said, use PHP includes, its like an iframe, but better :) you link it to an external file, and the php processor on the server will take the code on that file, and put it on the webpage. The viewer will see the source code as it would if there was no includes. The visitor will never know php includes have been used!

 

<?php include_once('navbar.php'); ?>

 

just change the navbar.php to the file which contains the navbar, and put that line of cod where you want the navbar to appear :)

 

adding onto what u said, also may wanna deny direct access to these files by defining a main constent with in your main files like this

define('SITE_ACCESS',true);

 

then check if this is defined within the includes like this

 

if(!defined('SITE_ACCESS')){die('NO DIRECT ACCESS ALLOWED');}

 

just a security tip :)

I had a quick listen and the music sounds charming, soothing and even jazzy at times...bear that in mind when designing the site.

 

I think generally it feels like every asset on the page is a bit shy, nothing is calling out to be seen.

 

 

I'd personally get rid of the piano image.

The four images going across the page are great images, and say a lot about what you do. On the other hand the piano at the top has a lot less personality and simply doesn't match the other images.

I would take the piano image out and push up the other images as part of the nav/header. Then, make the logo smaller and fit it in along-side the navigation.

 

Use some colour maybe?

The beauty of a black and white website is that if any colour is used it stands out, use it for things you want people to see/click. Even if it's just one colour.

 

As people have said, fonts need changing. As a quick tip try just a simple sans serif for all of the main text and please get rid of the italics.

Then try either a larger sans serif, or a nice larger serif like georgia for the headings.

 

Hope this helps!

Edited by BreakdownDesign.co.uk

adding onto what u said, also may wanna deny direct access to these files by defining a main constent with in your main files like this

define('SITE_ACCESS',true);

 

then check if this is defined within the includes like this

 

if(!defined('SITE_ACCESS')){die('NO DIRECT ACCESS ALLOWED');}

 

just a security tip :)

 

I tend to put the includes in a folder and deny from all in that folder in .htaccess - keeps the code cleaner.

adding onto what u said, also may wanna deny direct access to these files by defining a main constent with in your main files like this

define('SITE_ACCESS',true);

 

then check if this is defined within the includes like this

 

if(!defined('SITE_ACCESS')){die('NO DIRECT ACCESS ALLOWED');}

 

just a security tip :)

 

That be a good point :) thanks for the addition :)

  • Author

Just picked this thread back up. Thank you all VERY much for the helpful words; I've got some work to do! Heh.

 

You're all lovely (if nobody has told you that today).

 

Cheers - Tom

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.