April 6, 201016 yr Hi, I am looking to use Ecommerce for the first time and i am undecided on which software to use (free). I am running my server on Linux Unbuntu 9.10. Preferably something simple to learn staight off. Thanks,
April 6, 201016 yr I should be a rep for these guys but I would recommend Open Cart. Open Cart is an open source PHP-based online shopping cart system. There is also an entire thread on this subject
April 7, 201016 yr I too recommend osCommerce . It has lot of contrubution and very easy to learn by a developer
April 7, 201016 yr Hi, I am looking to use Ecommerce for the first time and i am undecided on which software to use (free). I am running my server on Linux Unbuntu 9.10. Preferably something simple to learn staight off. Thanks, The trick here when starting is to test out as many systems as you can. Only then will you get a feel for how easy or hard you find them to work with. The next step is finding one that's suitable for the job at hand - not all shopping carts are equal!
April 8, 201016 yr The trick here when starting is to test out as many systems as you can. Only then will you get a feel for how easy or hard you find them to work with. The next step is finding one that's suitable for the job at hand - not all shopping carts are equal! You should give Total Shop UK a go, it’s based on CodeIgniter v1.7.2 Download - http://sourceforge.net/projects/totalshopuk/files/ Live Demo - http://www.totalshopuk.com/ General Information Total Shop UK eCommerce was initially developed by myself to use as a template for creating complete custom eCommerce sites for customers. I wanted to develop something that was easy to use and manage by everyone. After working with osCommerce and a few others I found that they were okay but they were not as easy as they could be for shop owners and to customise them took quite some time. TSUK has been setup with Search Engine Optimisation in mind, using mod_rewite for friendly urls and meta tags created either dynamically or editable using the content managed pages. Payment system setup was the next step and again I wanted something that could be easily set up and with PayPal that made it all possible. To set up TSUK with PayPal all that needs to be changed is the PayPal email address.. Simple!! http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Total_Shop_UK/
April 8, 201016 yr @ibizara - are you planning to integrate Totalshop with EE2.0? I hate to admit it but I haven't used EE at all... Now setting up v1.6.8 to check it out. If I can integrate it I will upload the code to my sourceforge page. Will just see how it goes..
April 12, 201016 yr Author You should give Total Shop UK a go, it’s based on CodeIgniter v1.7.2 Download - http://sourceforge.net/projects/totalshopuk/files/ Live Demo - http://www.totalshopuk.com/ General Information Total Shop UK eCommerce was initially developed by myself to use as a template for creating complete custom eCommerce sites for customers. I wanted to develop something that was easy to use and manage by everyone. After working with osCommerce and a few others I found that they were okay but they were not as easy as they could be for shop owners and to customise them took quite some time. TSUK has been setup with Search Engine Optimisation in mind, using mod_rewite for friendly urls and meta tags created either dynamically or editable using the content managed pages. Payment system setup was the next step and again I wanted something that could be easily set up and with PayPal that made it all possible. To set up TSUK with PayPal all that needs to be changed is the PayPal email address.. Simple!! http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Total_Shop_UK/ Ibizara: Would you say that TSUK is easy to customize?
April 13, 201016 yr Ibizara: Would you say that TSUK is easy to customize? I would say it's very easy.. I was the only developer on the project and I have only been doing web development for 2 years, I think if I can build and customize it I believe it would be simple for others as well. If you run into any problems just add a thread to the TSUK forum and I will answer any questions on there. Regards, ibizara
April 22, 201016 yr Prestashop has a ton of features (although strangely the one feature I absolutely need it doesn't have, that is to add a text box attribute!)
October 27, 201015 yr Hey This is probably not what your looking for in terms of what you asked for but I actually know a company that specialise in E Commerce, the website is http://www.plugandplaydesign.co.uk/southampton/. There is some good advice on there about e commerce so it might be helpful to you Hope this helps Ben
October 27, 201015 yr I would not suggest osCommerce... Its a very poor written script. If you delve into it the code is everywhere. Not the easiest to template compared to Magento, Zendcart, Cs-Cart etc. Personally any open source scripts are not going to be best due to it being open source which means about 1000 people have helped build it, baring in mind everyone codes a little different... plus always has a lot of code which none of your clients really need. Personally i would go with CS-Cart, or Xcart... cost about £100 - £200 depending which versions but well coded and easy to customise.
December 8, 201015 yr You should give Total Shop UK a go, it’s based on CodeIgniter v1.7.2 Download - http://sourceforge.net/projects/totalshopuk/files/ Live Demo - http://www.totalshopuk.com/ General Information Total Shop UK eCommerce was initially developed by myself to use as a template for creating complete custom eCommerce sites for customers. I wanted to develop something that was easy to use and manage by everyone. After working with osCommerce and a few others I found that they were okay but they were not as easy as they could be for shop owners and to customise them took quite some time. TSUK has been setup with Search Engine Optimisation in mind, using mod_rewite for friendly urls and meta tags created either dynamically or editable using the content managed pages. Payment system setup was the next step and again I wanted something that could be easily set up and with PayPal that made it all possible. To set up TSUK with PayPal all that needs to be changed is the PayPal email address.. Simple!! http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Total_Shop_UK/ the page not opening when i start in my localhost. is i need to change anything to start .
December 9, 201015 yr We have FINALLY migrated our final client OFF OSCOMMERCE.. what a pile of junk. The code is a rats nest of mangled garbage. Sod the easy route.. you want to learn skills you can then market in the future right? Take a look at magento.. ok, so building a template from scratch is a bit of effort but generally you can take one of the demo or free templates and change the css to such an extent that no one will ever know you started from a pre-built theme. the features are far better than any other free open source shopping cart and the code is very reliable. Take a look. Andy
February 1, 201115 yr hi, I suggest you magento.. Magento offers an unparalleled option of availing more than fifty payment gateways for integration. Online store owners will be able to manage manifold online stores from a single administrative panel and product catalogue. This feature proffers maximum flexibility as you will be able to manage many e stores saving you precious time and resources. thanks
February 22, 201115 yr Try to use internet based magento free software pipfrog.com Free hosting and no limits.
March 3, 201115 yr I would use Cardstream Payment Gateway, these guys are very helpful. Looking on their homepage they are the cheapest Payment Gateway on their Comparison table. I was with Sage Pay and after these last 2 days of nonsense from them I have finally left. What a Joke !
March 4, 201115 yr Definitely Magento-- it's what I use. They have a free version, but the paid versions, Magento Professional and MAgento Enterprise have loads of features you won't be sorry paying for.
April 4, 201115 yr I suggest you Magento Magneto as more features, is more robust but it is true is more complicate to install and configurate. With Magento your website can evolve quickly and more easily
April 4, 201115 yr I can suggest you to use few: Joomla VirtueMart, osCommerce, PrestaShop and ZenCart. You can choose the best for yourself. All of them quite good, really popular and have a lot of modules. PrestaShop is new software, but you will get a lot of advantages using it. If you want to know more about them you need to visit official websites.
April 4, 201115 yr Hi j5-payne, Out of interest who did you move to from SagePay? I noticed you have recommended Cardstream and pointed out their low costs. Just to let you know, for low volume merchants we work out even cheaper: * No Setup Fee * £10.00 per month for up to 300 transactions * 10p per transaction thereafter * No charge for Declined transactions * Free Anti-Fraud * Free UK Technical Support * Most shopping carts supported * Virtual Terminal option Thanks, Simon Total Web Solutions Ltd payments.totalwebsolutions.com
April 4, 201115 yr We've had a lot of customers using the OpenCart software recently, and it's certainly something I'd recommend. A lot of the other software packages out there designed for e-commerce are often overly complicated, but OpenCart seems to offer simplicity amongst other things.
April 4, 201115 yr OpenCart certainly is popular. We have plenty of clients using it with our gateway thanks to the payment module created by Jay Gilford for us. Thanks again Jay Simon Total Web Solutions Ltd payments.totalwebsolutions.com Edited April 4, 201115 yr by TotalWebSolutions
April 8, 201115 yr So, Michael, did you choose Ecommerce software for yourself? I want to know your impression. It's interesting for me, because I work with eCommerce software 6 years.
April 11, 201115 yr Hi Simon, I ended up Moving to Cardstreamand everything has been fine since. I will write a post soon about them to let you all know about their service and how I feel. Hi j5-payne, Out of interest who did you move to from SagePay? I noticed you have recommended Cardstream and pointed out their low costs. Just to let you know, for low volume merchants we work out even cheaper: * No Setup Fee * £10.00 per month for up to 300 transactions * 10p per transaction thereafter * No charge for Declined transactions * Free Anti-Fraud * Free UK Technical Support * Most shopping carts supported * Virtual Terminal option Thanks, Simon Total Web Solutions Ltd payments.totalwebsolutions.com
April 11, 201115 yr Simon, I moved to Cardstream. Here is a short paragraph about my feelings so far with this company: I have found that Cardstream's customer service has been particularly strong with friendly, knowledgeable staff at the end of the phone. Also, their support ticketing system seems to work well providing quick and precise replies directly from their support staff. The sign up process was pretty painless too, the online form at My link has about 4 steps, all of which were self explanatory and only took 5 minutes to complete - once I had found my bank details! Lastly, their tariff worked really well for me. I'm doing between 300 - 400 transactions per month which works well on their competitive tariff structure. So, with the limited time I have had with them, they come well recommended to anyone looking to switch from SagePay. Hi j5-payne, Out of interest who did you move to from SagePay? I noticed you have recommended Cardstream and pointed out their low costs. Just to let you know, for low volume merchants we work out even cheaper: * No Setup Fee * £10.00 per month for up to 300 transactions * 10p per transaction thereafter * No charge for Declined transactions * Free Anti-Fraud * Free UK Technical Support * Most shopping carts supported * Virtual Terminal option Thanks, Simon Total Web Solutions Ltd payments.totalwebsolutions.com
April 11, 201115 yr Hi Jamie, Glad things are working out for you but just in case you didn't get my post, I was offering our service to you as we are a competitor of SagePay and CardStream etc. If things don't work out moving forward feel free to get in touch Thanks, Simon payments.totalwebsolutions.com UK Payment Gateway - 300 transactions per month just £10 (10p/trans if over 300) Supports various Shopping Carts - No Setup Fee - Virtual Terminal option - PCI Level 1- No Charge for Declines
Create an account or sign in to comment