Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lovelessly

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Lovelessly

  1. Done! Now this error, Sorry, I know it's a pain. I REALLY appreciate your help though!!
  2. There is no "table_rss". Like I said, I'm using a database from another script that posts the updates. The script doesn't have RSS, so that's what I'm doing. So there is no "table_rss". Here is the updates SQL file though: http://pastebin.com/RRDZApiJ So you can kind of see what I mean. I can't change ANYTHING in this database or it's set up otherwise the script will stop working. So I have to make the RSS work around the database set up.
  3. I don't understand. uTitle, etc is how the updates are set up in the database. So how is the script going to know what to take from the database if these (uTitle, etc) aren't somewhere in the RSS?
  4. The problem though with this code is you changed, $title = escapeXMLVal( $dataBlogDisplay['uTitle'] ); $link = escapeXMLVal( $dataBlogDisplay['uID'] ); $description = escapeXMLVal( $dataBlogDisplay['uEntry'] ); $date = escapeXMLVal( $dataBlogDisplay['uAdded'] ); If you don't have them as UTitle, uID, uEntry, and uAdded, then it won't follow the database. I can't change the database because that follows another script and everything would stop working then. So, I changed the dataBlogDisplay to those above, but otherwise kept the code you gave me. I now have this error,
  5. Still need help on this...
  6. That paste has been removed...
  7. What do you mean 'escape'? I don't understand...
  8. Personally, I find the website to be poorly made. I'm sorry if that seems mean or brutal, but that's just how it looks to me. It's cool that you have these sliding menus, they're neat, but it seems like that's the only part of the side you really worked hard on. You say what the website is for, but that isn't clear from the site or design. I find the backgrounds and menus to be very distracting. As someone who has an interest in learning Chinese, I don't see how your site can teach it. To me, over all, it's just not well made. Like it was just thrown together.
  9. Thank you! It is a lot of fun! Good luck to you too with your studies!
  10. Hi there! Welcome to the site!
  11. It would be easier if you posted a link to your site. Sometimes it's easier to find a problem if you can see the design in action. Do you still need help with this anyway though?
  12. In the container CSS, try adding these elements... .container { width: 960px; margin: 0px auto; display: block; position: relative; } This might help.
  13. Can I recommend Little Dancer Web Hosting? They're small but very reliable with a ton of space for you. They have very little down time as well, which is always a bonus. Personally, I've been hosted by them for years and never had a problem. For what errors I do come across, they're quick to help. They're prices are definitely reasonable too. Let me warn you though, never go with a free host! Free hosts usually don't last long and are quick to disappear without letting you know. Just one day they and your website will be gone! It's one thing if a host offers free plans, it's either when they offer only free plans or prices that are so cheap that it makes you second look.
  14. Can I recommend Little Dancer Web Hosting? They're small but very reliable with a ton of space for you. They have very little down time as well, which is always a bonus. Personally, I've been hosted by them for years and never had a problem. For what errors I do come across, they're quick to help. They're prices are definitely reasonable too. Let me warn you though, never go with a free host! Free hosts usually don't last long and are quick to disappear without letting you know. Just one day they and your website will be gone! It's one thing if a host offers free plans, it's either when they offer only free plans or prices that are so cheap that it makes you second look.
  15. To be honest, I've been involved in servers and hosting for years. I've also been hosted by many people and companies and I've never heard of an option to just drag stuff into your PHPMyAdmin. From my experiance and knowledge, PHPMyAdmin is always within the control panel of your website.
  16. It really depends on what you're looking to use the domain for. What kind of domain names are you looking? Just something random? Professional? It would be easier to help if you gave us a little information on what you wanted.
  17. I would considering buying the domain, but the price is really high... I mean, does it come with the actual website and content already or just the domain? One could register that domain for $12 a year or just go with another extension for the same price, if not less in some cases.
  18. Personally, I always go with namecheap. They've always been the cheapest, highest recommended, and though their support can be really rude and uncaring towards problems. I really over all enjoy their services - just not their support. They're always getting new domain extensions too! They also have sales and domain giveaways which are a lot of fun as well.
  19. I recommend a blend of Gimp and Adobe Photoshop CS6.
  20. Frankly, I find it important to have good programs at hand. They don't have to be big and expensive like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Dreamweaver. Personally, I find that the free programs are often the best. That being said, I usually code everything by hand. I don't want some program coding things for me. So, let me go down the list of what I find to be important and why... Code Editor Personally, I prefer Notepad++. It's free, easy to use, and colour codes everything to make looking at millions of lines of coding easier to read and see through. It's not a real big program either which I really like. So when my computer is throwing a fit and not acting right, it will still work just as great! When it's running, it doesn't slow down your computer either. To me, these are very important things in any program! Graphics Program For me, this is Gimp. More freeware! Gimp has been my favourite graphic design program for... ever! It's a great program and though it can sometimes take a little bit to start up (depending on how many fonts you have installed on your computer), it's still well worth it. The best part is that it does everything that Adobe Photoshop does, except that it's free! In my opinion, it's also considerably easier to use and less complicated then Photoshop and other programs I've tried. That being said, there aren't a lot of tutorials of the program. However, I have found that if you check out Photoshop tutorials, you can usually adapt them to work with Gimp as well. Things might be in different places in Gimp compared to Photoshop and might be called some different, but with some patience, it's not hard to figure it out! Web Browsers! I use multiple. I believe it's the more the merrier! I have Google Chrome, Opera, Mozilla FireFox, Cool Novo, Comodo Dragon, Safari, Wyzo, Torch, and SRWare Iron. I used to have more, but I haven't yet re-installed them. I believe that multiple web browsers, especially those of different styles and set ups are very important. You need to remember that your coding might look different in all web browsers. So it's very important to be able to test run your website on as many browsers as possible. Now, the one problem though is that if you only have (say) a Windows computer like I do, then you still only have only previewed your website in one operating system. You'll need to remember that just because it looks okay in Chrome on a Windows operating system, doesn't mean it'll look the same in Chrome on a Mac operating system. That's why I also recommend this website : Browsershots. This website takes screenshots of how your website might look in other browsers on different operating systems. You can even see previews of your site based on the browser version, which can also be very important! I hope that this helps you out! Below, I have listed other programs that I have installed. Though I do like them, I recommend the ones above before any others! However, I really love using different programs because different programs can do different things and I like that variety! Graphic Programs - ​Paint.NET - Adobe Illustrator CS6 - Sai - Adobe Photoshop CS6 - Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 & 10 - Adobe InDesign Code Editor - Notepad++ - Adobe Dreamweaver - Notepad I wish you the very best of luck!
  21. Frankly, the reality is that you either have to go with a site builder like Wix, Freewebs (Webs), Weebly, etc. If you don't like them, then you really don't have a choice but to either hire a web designer or learn how to code it all yourself. I agree though that Dreamweaver can be really confusing and hard to use. I find that it doesn't make things easier but rather much more confusing. For the record though, depending on what type of website you're trying to run, you could go with a content management system (CMS) such as WordPress, Chyrp, Habari, etc. You'll still have to do some coding of course, to customize your website, but a CMS can really make things easier. It'll give you less to code and more of a structured set up. Like I said though, it really all depends on what kind of website you're trying to create. Different types of websites require more or less. Such as a social networking website would require knowledge of databases, sql, and PHP to go along with the basics of HTML and CSS.
  22. It's interesting. Thank you for sharing! It was worth the read!
  23. Personally, I have experience with a lot of different content management systems. However, I have found over the years that WordPress is my favourite. I find that there is a lot of help for it should you need help. It's really easy to customize and use. It's also perfect for all different kinds of websites. With all the different plugins, there's nothing that it can't do.
  24. Hi there! Web design is a lot of fun. What got you into this field?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.