Everything posted by nublue
-
Really basic but i'm new. Illustrator logo
Do you have 'matte' set to white in the save options? when you save it you should tick the 'tranparency' check box and make sure no 'matte' is selected.
-
Proserve uk
They don't seem that cheap. £5.99 is the cheapest shared hosting from what I can see, which seems ok to me. But if they seem good, then maybe there is no catch, you have just found a good host!
-
Okay to get logo design from stock photo site?
You could go directly to the creator: http://www.istockphoto.com/user_view.php?id=1852739 and get them to do you a one off custom version suitable for your needs?
-
do I really need an accountant?
I suppose it depends on how much money you make! If your turnover and number of transactions are relatively small and you don't employ anyone then you can probably do it yourself. I suppose you need to get a quote and then workout how much time you spend doing book keeping and accounts and see which one makes more sense.
-
Cookies, Are you doing ANYTHING?
Just a general question to see what solutions people are putting in place for the new Cookie laws that are coming into affect on 26/03/12. I have not seen any sites that have even made an attempt at being compliant with the exception of http://www.ico.gov.uk/ (look at the header). Is the general consensus to hold tight and see what transpires...?
-
switching webhost nightmare!
I'd raise a ticket with whatever provider currently controls the .com and ask if they can put a redirect from the .com to the .co.uk for the time being until the tranfer completes. Sounds like the transfer is in progress anyway so you might be as well just letting it finish and setting this up with the new provider. I hope that helps
-
Are there any free photo stock sites (like iStock)
Just did a quick google and found this: http://www.stockvault.net/ Looks to be free (at least some of the photos are). Just make sure you have the right to use the photos on a commercial website. I hope that helps
-
SEO Friendly Web Design
Excellent, can't wait to see it.
-
Basic Ecommerce website advice needed
Hi Rob and Welcome If your previous website building history is with FrontPage and Dreamweaver then you will probably find building a shop a bit of a steep learning curve! Firstly I would use something off the shelf. Opencart or Magento (or similar) would make a suitable base as this will give you your shopping cart functionality out of the box and you can then spend your time putting your products in and focusing on the content/look/feel etc.. A few words of warning: Don’t make it multilingual unless you operate in those languages. If you have a Chinese site with Chinese content you will likely get phone calls/emails coming through in Chinese! If you do translate be aware that Google translate will not do a perfect translation and it is probably best to get it professionally translated by someone who understands the culture as well as the language.
-
Does anyone know of a reliable form generater?
Unfortunately not. Never used them myself. I think the advice above is good however. Find some time to learn, and build up your own library of code snippets and then in the future you can be your own form generator You'll spend more time in the long run troubleshooting auto genertaed code you dont understand imho.
-
Contracting late payment advice
I suppose this largely depends on how important the client is to you. If they are a regular source of work and do always pay eventually, then it is probably not worth getting overly shirty with them as this will affect your relationship. But maybe change your internal policies so you do not deliver work until payment. So for example you preview the work on your own server to them so they can see it is finished and then invoice and make live after payment. Essentially holding them to ransom for the work. charging extra for late payment is also an option, but again, this is probably not a good relationship builder!
-
What else can I do to improve this website?
A few things that jumped out at me: 1) Get rid of the drop shadows. They are not adding to the design imho 2) The surround on the box is not necessary in my opinion. I understand that you want to show this as part of the tabs at the top, but I think the tabs with a nice underline and then the content below would look better than the surround. 3) The logo needs work as this sets the tone and I'm not sure it really works at the moment. 4) Look at your colours and spacing as has already been mentioned. I hope that helps and good luck with it
-
How am I doing so far?
I like it. Nice and clean. Look forward to seeing it finished
-
Logo Review...
No problem, I hope your client likes it and thanks for the heat pump lesson
-
Layout jumping around problem
In Firefox 10.0.2 on Windows 7 you have a few other issues. Your Twitter box pokes out of the layout at the bottom and your contact page is a little screwed. Just to let you know
-
CV/Profile idea
Hi James, So this will eventually be a niche job site? where people looking for a job can post a CV, details about experience etc.. and Companies looking to recruit within this niche can search candidates based on various criteria etc? In which case there are loads of premade things (never used any of them so this is not a recomendation): http://www.jobboardscripts.com/ http://www.jobbex.com/ http://www.jobboardmount.com This is probably going to be your cheapest route to setting up something, but not necessarily your best! Just make sure you do your research with whoever you choose to go with. I hope that helps.
-
Logo Review...
Visually it looks nice. I wonder whether the colour blue is appropriate though as blue has connotations of cold/wet and does not say 'heat' to me. Although I have no idea what a heat pump does so maybe it isn't actually something that gets hot!
-
What kind of checks should I do with someone's IP address
To me it sounds like there is no need to monitor IP then. Unless you know how you intend to use this information then I wouldnt bother collecting it.
-
How its done!
Hi Matt, Broadly speaking yes. The process I would go through (in simple terms) if I was making a very simple one page website would be as follows: Planning Write a brief - of what the goals of the page are and what the audience is Write a specification - Layout technically what needs to be done (text, images, forms) Gather the content - Don't start making a page before you know what is going to be published on it. Building Create your folder structure - make a folder for images and style sheets (CSS) and a HTML page (index.html) within your web space. Within the HTML page create the necessary areas (header, body) and then create your layout within the body (content, sidebar, footer etc..) Put your content into the layout semantically using the most appropriate tags for the content type (use <ul><li> tags for lists, <h> tags for headers etc..) Then create a CSS style sheet to style those elements Now that is very simplified so I would research each list item to find out more about that specific bit, but this should get you on the right track. I hope that helps.
-
What kind of checks should I do with someone's IP address
Hi, What context is this in. We do IP checks on all new orders and we create a SPAM score based on certain criteria. anything over a certain value and we decline the order. But it sounds like you want to log IP's that are logging into a certain control panel? Is this correct?
-
Shopping Cart without taking payment online
This sounds like a strange request! I could understand them wanting to capture an order and then the customer comes in to pick it up etc. But if they intend to take a card payment anyway then why do this manually? As mentioned this seems like a waste of time. Surely a primary goal of the website is to reduce administration? Ususally when I hear these requests it boils down to a lack of knowledge with the client who is concerned about taking card details on line and the security implications etc.. I would have thought that with a thorough explanation of how this would work and some reasurance to your client that taking payment online is perfectly safe, you could get them to proceed with online payments. I hope that helps
-
Useful Links
Nice list, thanks for sharing. There is some good stuff in here
-
GoKarting Flyer Design
I can see it. Looks good. A few thoughts: 1) No information as to when or where it is 2) It says 'Free Final' on the picture. Not sure exactly what this means? So I pay to enter the knockout rounds, but the final is free? 3) I wonder whether prize information should be on top of the picture and made more of. As these are very good prizes and it would give more room at the bottom for the boring stuff (price, address date, time etc..) I hope that helps
-
Rush layout i need your feedback
For me it is not working. If it is food related, I would think something cleaner would be better. the orange almost looks a bit 'dirty' which is not a connotation you want associated with food. I don’t think it really says anything as a layout either. It's a little bit boring. This is only in my personal opinion though. As already stated I would go and look at some other food websites. There are a lot of really good ones about.
-
User Support/Download Area - Considering amember Pro
I've used Amember Pro on a paid subscription site in the past. I would give you the URL but they stopped trading about a year a go. Our experience with it was good though. We had it linked to Expression Eninge (which had a plugin for it, not sure if it still does) and it worked very well out of the box. The support was pretty good too. Not sure about the specifics of your project but in our experience it does exactly what it says on the tin