Everything posted by Scott S
-
MODx?
The main differences between Revo and Evo are the back-end, and the templating system. Revo is probably the better out of the two if you're new to modx. With regard to modx vs silverstripe, I personally feel modx is better. From my experience, it's easier for clients to work with. Don't get me wrong, I love SilverStripe. It's a good CMS, but ModX is better. Give it a try - You wont be disappointed.
-
Novel Idea?
haha excellent. I'd make the form error page a little more descriptive though. and that is one long winded declaration, but certainly states intent! Nicely done. Be interesting to see what sort of responses you get lol.
-
Ubuntu Software
Just as a point of reference, there's an interesting article regarding Linux here. @Jock Mint is a cracking OS, I've been playing about with v9 for a few weeks now. Very snazzy, but I'm a Ubuntu-pure man through and through lol I agree re xampp, whilst it's easy to setup and use, I much prefer installing A,M and P myself.
-
What's the Best Way ?
I seriously LOL'd at that one! @ciwan As much as it pains me to say it, Joomla may be an option here. There are numerous plugins/extensions for music sites. I don't know if you've ever seen the site purevolume.com ? I was recently in talks with a company who do basically the same thing, but using joomla (where-as pv.com is custom). If you're interested, or want to take a look at their scripts etc, let me know, and I'll fish out the URL. To be honest, I don't think there IS a way to make sure nobody can download the music. There are always methods unfortunately.
-
Novel Idea?
I say go for it - The publicity alone would be worth a fortune once the papers/blogs get hold of it!
-
E-Bikes WebSite needs Review
Very nicely done, although I'm not sure about the flower in the footer... @Keith - In case you were wondering, it's about electric bikes lol
-
What is SEO and how to laern it.
HAHA that's class! +1'd. As Charlie said, sarcasm is one of the few things that makes SEO threads bearable. Nicely done!
-
Invoice Wordpress Plugin
Excellent find Huw, nice one! +1
-
overlaying homepage instead of load new page
What you're referring to, is called a modal window. Google lightbox and lightbox alternative.
-
Disqus, Echo and Intense Debate.. which to use?
http://blog.nublue.c...tions-reviewed/ I use Disqus, purely because of personal preference
-
naming a <a> type within a strict document
The "bitching" comment was aimed at you specifically Kyle. It was a general comment. The only bit targeted at you, was the question about the 1/10 time.
-
naming a <a> type within a strict document
What about the one time out of ten that you DON'T want it to open in a new window, yet it does? Frustrating isn't? As you've already stated, you right click > open in new tab/window anyway. The removal of the target attribute wasn't done to annoy people, it was done to improve usability. If your site is that interesting, then people will return, even if they navigate away temporarily. Not everybody wants 20 windows or tabs open. It can be confusing for people. Opening a new tab/window just because you don't want people to leave your site is egotistical and vain, and any site I visit (with the exception of forums) that do it, get closed, and never visited again. I'm guilty of it myself on a couple of sites that I've yet to update, but unlike most people I don't bitch about it because it annoys me. I understand why it's the way it is, and deal with it. As web designers/developers, we're not here to make ourselves happy. We're here to ensure that the web is accessible and usable for as many people as possible. If you have a window that REALLY needs to be opened in a new window, then either use the transitional doctype and stop bitching, or use one of the many javascript work-arounds and stop bitching.
-
Yet another member [xBroak]
Howdy, and welcome to the forum.
-
New charity site - Anthony Nolan
Fair enough mate Just thought I'd bring it to your attention. Nice looking site all the same
-
New charity site - Anthony Nolan
Nicely done, except there's no "focus" state on the navigation...
-
Who would say this is pretty accurate?
Sure it does. Just like Photoshop == web design...
-
8 Ways to Get Sh**ty Clients
No worries mate, happy to help
-
8 Ways to Get Sh**ty Clients
Direct link, save having to manually edit once clicked >>http://bit.ly/9VieOe
-
Hey From ol' London Town
Damnit - Another damn Aussie invading London! Welcome to the forum mate
-
Ubuntu Software
Oops! Stupid me lol although I don't actually use xampp, I use self-installed AMP Which is probably why I forgot it lol Good call on the fonts - Something I wish I'd done back in t'day lol.
-
Ubuntu Software
You're welcome mate. Glad to help - Anything to promote the use of Linux And cheers for the rep You'll probably get a response from both notbanksy and ElanMan when they're on, as they're both Linux fans and users - I don't think there are many others on here to be honest. You could always try the Ubuntu forums if you need more info/advice
-
Which is the best linux distro?
Good choice Now all we've gotta do is convince you that it should be your primary pc, NOT secondary. (Although Linux should convince you of that all by itself!)
-
Ubuntu Software
Design software: GIMP (pre-installed) Inkscape (pre-installed) Coding software: Hundreds lol. gEdit (preinstalled) Bluefish geany Programming: netbeans Mono Develop Misc: guake (drop-down terminal) VLC aMSN (pre-installed msn clone)
-
Are Content Management Systems killing the Web Design profession?
As already stated, a CMS is for managing content. It doesn't do the design, installation, configuration, tweaking and modification of the site, or itself (with the exception of the install in some cases). CMS's are powerful tools, and every designer/developer should be proficient in the use of a couple. They are no threat to web devs/designers. The templates that get shipped with some CMS's aren't worth a toss quite frankly, and anyone serious about their website will know this, thus we'll always be needed
-
Which is the best linux distro?
STEP AWAY FROM KUBUNTU!!!!! The KDE desktop is atrocious. It's bloated, slow and damn right ugly! Like !b said, If you're new to Linux, use Ubuntu. I'm a relatively seasoned hand, yet I STILL use Ubuntu. Cos I like it. The latest version is swish, snazzy and uber-quick! As to server software, either Ubuntu, CentOS or Fedora (Not to my taste, but certainly capable)