Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ubuntu Software

Featured Replies

Hey Guys,

I have just installed Ubuntu Linux on my second PC, Please can you recommend some decent software?

Any software will do but i defiantly need : Design Software, Coding Software (HTML, PHP, CSS, Javascript etc.) and Programming Software (C, C++, Java etc.)

 

Thanks,

Tommo

Hey Guys,

I have just installed Ubuntu Linux on my second PC, Please can you recommend some decent software?

Any software will do but i defiantly need : Design Software, Coding Software (HTML, PHP, CSS, Javascript etc.) and Programming Software (C, C++, Java etc.)

 

Thanks,

Tommo

 

Design software:

 

GIMP (pre-installed)

Inkscape (pre-installed)

 

Coding software:

 

Hundreds lol.

 

gEdit (preinstalled)

Bluefish

geany

 

Programming:

 

netbeans

 

Mono Develop

 

 

Misc:

 

guake (drop-down terminal)

 

VLC

 

aMSN (pre-installed msn clone)

  • Author

Thanks Scot +rep for that, Any other ideas people?

You're welcome mate. Glad to help - Anything to promote the use of Linux :D

 

And cheers for the rep :)

You'll probably get a response from both notbanksy and ElanMan when they're on, as they're both Linux fans and users - I don't think there are many others on here to be honest.

 

You could always try the Ubuntu forums if you need more info/advice :)

  • Author

Thanks, I mainly want it as a development platform and personal web server, for stuff as I normally use Mac but wanted a change on my desktop, and to be honest im liking ubuntu a lot

Scott, you left out xampp for a local server. You might also want to get some of the fonts from your win/mac machine so that you get accurate results for web page testing if it's your main testing machine.

 

Other than that, nothing really to add to what Scott has said. Ubuntu comes with a C compiler pre-installed (GCC) and you can read the manual by opening a terminal and typing

man gcc

 

Enjoy your linux :)

Scott, you left out xampp for a local server. You might also want to get some of the fonts from your win/mac machine so that you get accurate results for web page testing if it's your main testing machine.

 

Other than that, nothing really to add to what Scott has said. Ubuntu comes with a C compiler pre-installed (GCC) and you can read the manual by opening a terminal and typing

man gcc

 

Enjoy your linux :)

 

Oops! blush.gif

 

Stupid me lol although I don't actually use xampp, I use self-installed AMP Which is probably why I forgot it lol

 

Good call on the fonts - Something I wish I'd done back in t'day lol.

  • Author

thanks monadevelop is an awsome piece of kit, saves me booting win 7 on my mac all the time :)

I wouldn't use xampp, much better to use Zend Server CE or the apache/php/mysql from the ubuntu apt channel (IMHO).

 

You should try aptana for a PHP/HTML/CSS IDE. Netbeans and Eclipse are popular for Java & C++ development. You can install Firefox, Opera, Chrome for browsers. Chrome is extremely fast on linux.

 

Highly recommend VirtualBox OSE for desktop visualization, comes in very handy for testing sites in IE. Hmmm what else? You can install MySQL administrator, Querybrowser and workbench. Thats all I can think of right now.

 

I use linux mint which is based on ubuntu, I might move back to ubuntu soon, I quite like the look of 10 but I really cant be bothered setting everything up again.

Just as a point of reference, there's an interesting article regarding Linux here.

 

@Jock

 

Mint is a cracking OS, I've been playing about with v9 for a few weeks now. Very snazzy, but I'm a Ubuntu-pure man through and through lol

 

I agree re xampp, whilst it's easy to setup and use, I much prefer installing A,M and P myself.

  • 1 month later...

Ubuntu Studio is a good little package. It has editing software for just about everything. Programming, video, music... The list goes on. I'm not sure about PHP and such like... They might be pre-installed, but either way, if you take a look on google at the pre-installed features of Ubuntu Studio, you might get some ideas. =]

 

LINUX FTW!

  • 2 months later...

In addition to the good advice so far.

 

A good alternative to Netbeans is Eclipse PDT https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EclipsePDT

I actually tend to have both installed, both good, just hard to choose a winner.

 

To install MySQL Apache and PHP on Ubuntu is a 1 line command:

 

sudo tasksel install lamp-server

 

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

 

Cheers, Nick

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.