Everything posted by Cromo
-
3 Essential Plugins of Any Wordpress Blog
I would say the first two are important to add but the third not so much, not everyone offers advertising on there blog when they first set up. For the third I would have added a robots.txt or something similar.
-
Advanced blogging
WordPress can be used as a solution. You can add custom fields for the date it was written. You can set user roles, admin, editor, user/subscriber. Adding posts is easy with different size font choices etc or you can use html. All your nice to haves are part of WordPress plus there are thousands of themes to choose from.
-
Do you have a role model?
Chuck Anderson - Graphic Designer Mark Zuckerburg - Facebook Bill Gates - Because of the Bill Gates Foundation. The fact that he's managed to convince other millionaires to give away half there money is amazing.
-
Markup Land
Let me know when it's running and I'll bookmark it
-
Are Macs really that great?
Nicely put. I'm not a big gamer especially on a desktop or laptop. Games are for consoles.
-
Markup Land
I suppose you have a very wide niche too and you could gain a lot of traffic. On your submit form is there a way that by just adding the url the form will grab the title? I'm guessing this will take a lot of server side processing but it's something appealing, a beginning. I'm lazy and I'm sure a lot of other people are and would rather just copy and paste a URL? It's a good name.
-
Are Macs really that great?
YES! The only thing with Macs (well it is for me) are though if you have used windows for a long time then switch to a Mac when you jump on your mates computer to check your email or whatever you look like an idiot because you don't remember how windows works. I went Mac in 2007 and never went back. They just work and out of the 3 years I've had my MacBook I've had 2 kernel panics and no virus's. You do realise you have opened a can of worms here, there could be some passionate PC lovers let the fight begin.
-
What version of Photoshop is best for web design?
All versions are good. Personally I'm on CS4. I had CS3 and liked it a little better.
-
What free program can i use instead of Photoshop?
GIMP Free and powerful.
- Daft Punk's Technologic
- Members Twitter
-
Markup Land
Yeah cool buuuuuuuuuuuut another social bookmarking site there's so many already. The layout is simple and readable which I really like. Not to rant lol but instead of bringing out another social bookmarking site why not invent the next thing to social bookmarking or innovate it. Your area of expertise is Entrepreneur, according to your profile, so why release something already available in a large market? I want to say yeah go for it, I'll use it, it'll be useful but somehow I can't see it. I maybe very wrong and I don't mean to shoot down an idea but unless it offers something know where else does I can't see it taking off. Sorry
-
Leeds web designers site for review
Woop Leeds! (Living there, not the team lol) The site looks great the only thing that is bugging me is where you list your services on the index page the leading between Complete graphic and creative marketing services: ^here^ Brochures, Marketing Campaigns, Flyers, could do with another pixel or two. Otherwise great.
-
Finished
I looked and my eyes said ARRRRRRRRRRR. The colours are awful. I shouldn't have to look hard to read a page, I'm almost squinting to read things. The layout overall is good BUT the header is massive im on a 13' MacBook and the header takes up 70% of the screen. I really like the navigation IMO the best thing about the site. The sliding news thing on the left under the nav needs a border or to be in it's own box to pulled it out from the background of the site. In FF on mac the margin between the main content and the side bar is very wide. Make the side bar a little wider or perhaps the site smaller because if you make the content wider there will be just to much on one line to read. Your graphics are very inconsistent, you have "NEWS" in an interesting way but then below our partners is in something completely different. Also under "NEWS" the border around news has rounded corners and the info underneath doesn't. The footer. I can barely read it needs looking at. It has a lot of potential but I think you need to work at it a bit more to make it look more professional.
-
What a Webdesigner must know
I suppose but the way you have described it, it that sounds more like a company so you have your designer, coder etc so you would have a web design company not a sole person here is a web designer. That sounds more like the project manager. I suppose there are a lot of angles we could take at this and I think all are right, it will depend on the person or company individually . anybody else have an opinion?
-
New layout
Yeah the lighter colour on the category sounds ok actually. As with the hover overs try it see if it looks better. As for the animation on the work page I think it works very well it just doesn't seem very smooth it happens very quick and as it happens looks very jumblly if that makes any sense.
-
What a Webdesigner must know
I'm studying graphic design at uni and although web design isn't studied much here we are told we can do it although coding isn't marked so yes it's definitely a part of graphic design but the coding would be down to a coder. Yes there are people that design and code but I think that there are a lot of coders aren't designers.
-
Advice On what sotware to use
You can use WordPress for more than just text and photos. With the power of custom fields and a bucket load of plugins it can easily be used for anything you like.
-
What are you listening too right now . . . ?
Robbie Williams Can't code without him.
-
Advice On what sotware to use
WordPress. I'm very biased towards WordPress so I would recommend it. It's very flexible and easily updated. If you need any help let me know.
-
Social media to help a local business?
competitions are good. Set up a facebook page, get a good prize or money off voucher and all the people have to do to enter is like or become a friend of the page. Do this every couple of months and they should get a good following. Aim for university students. On there menu they need to have a link to there facebook page etc.
-
What a Webdesigner must know
I think if your looking at jobs that are asking people for as said 'jack of all trades' then companies/clients want someone with all the knowledge so that they don't have to go and hire 2 or 3 people for the job. It's going to be more efficient and cost effective for a company to hire someone with all the knowledge. Also if a company wants someone with more than design and html/css etc knowledge then they obvious are creating something a bit more than just a website?
-
Student Org website
The navigation in FF on mac doesn't really seem like a navigation until you hover over. Maybe use the same colours as your logo have the buttons yellow or purple and when the hover over kicks in it changes to the other colour? The cool inc is awful it maybe a proud sponsor but does it need to be so big? I'm not fond of the font you are using for the titles. It looks ok under the images but where you have hello world it doesn't look great. I like the layout of the site I think it works well. One last thing character spacing is very wide make it smaller.
-
iPhone or Blackberry?
I've had: iPhone iPhone 3G then I got bored of waiting for the iPhone 4 so I got a Nokia N900 but there isn't the support or apps for it. I just bought my girlfriend an iPhone 4 and it's great makes me want to go back to the iPhone.
-
What a Webdesigner must know
Well in my opinion you are a designer when you are designing a website or something similar for a client or to sell (such as a WordPress theme). A developer will be someone working on a software or service that requires much more attention to make that product work for example Facebook or WordPress. Can anybody correct me or explain more if I am going down the wrong route?