Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Review & critics for Picnshot.com - free images

Featured Replies

Hey there,

my name is Michael and about a week ago I have created a website called www.picnshot.com where I give away for free high resolution photos for commercial & personal use. I would love to have opinion of as many people as possible as to the website's design, build and most importantly the photos themselves. In general, what to better or change.


The main point is that I love photography and love to share my pics with others.


Please let me know, I am open to any ideas.


Thanks, Michael J.

Hi Michael,

 

Nice design, simple and clean.

 

Great photos, many thanks for sharing,

  • Author

Thanks a lot Lev for the positive feedback, I'm adding a new pics every day, so stay tuned :)

 

I'm looking forward to any more ideas.

  • Author

UPDATE:

- added a few features like the pinterest button, categories on the right, facebook like button for each post etc

 

Please check out the website and give me any ideas for improvement, I'd be very thankful.

 

It's www.picnshot.com.

 

Thanks, M.

Edited by Repik

  • Author

Hey there,

me again :) I'd like some info about as to why people don't actually sign in for the newsletter about new photos at www.picnshot.com + visitor number issue(about only 30 unique users/day). Anybody any advice?

 

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Why is each image a separate post? Why even have a download button if all it does it take you to a new page. All you need is the images on a single page with a download button linking directly to the the image. A bit like this: http://imagesofplaces.co.uk/abaza/

 

If you want to provide a great service you need hundreds of images and a great search facility.

 

And the reason people aren't signing up is because there isn't anythiny to sign up for. I can bookmark the site and visit whenever I want.

 

I'd also offer a range of download options. 5.6Mb is huge. If I just want a 500px wide version for a website I don't want to faff about with resizing and resolutions and whatnot. So do the istockimage thing and give me the image set. Wordpress already creates the image sets so you can easily write a script to add a download button for each one.

 

There doesn't appear to be a way for me to upload my own images.

  • Author

Hey, thanks a lot for your ideas, amazing point!

 

There is a reason for the click-through to the second page. Especially now, when I've added the possibilities you have mentioned -> different sizes of images, please check it out and tell me what you think :-)

 

Right now I'm working on the search option. About uploading your own images, right now I only prefer adding my own, since I'm sure and aware I'm the author and I can actually give away the license for full free use. If you're interested to add your own images, please let me know and we can work something out, it could be awesome! :-) I'm available at info@picnshot.com.

 

If you have any other ideas, comments go on, I'm eager to read 'em all!

Michael

There is a reason for the click-through to the second page.

So what is this reason?

 

The UX would be far better if the download buttons were on the homepage. It would eliminate a click and make for easier navigation. This is going to be crucial when you have a zillion images.

 

I'd also work on the colours. All that red isn't a good choice as it's a bit shouty.

 

Do some work on your styling. On a phone the image is half off the screen. If you fix this you won't need the clunky 'scroll down' message.

 

Looked at the site without adblocker - yuk. They really spoil the site.

 

Consider using a swipe gesture on small screens. This will allow people to swipe to see the next image. It's an easy thing to do. This is how I do it: https://quick-plugins.com/touch-screen-slider/. Try it on a PC and a touch screen. You can add captions and links and whatever. All the info you need is here: http://jquery.malsup.com/cycle2/

 

As an aside, this is where I go for pictures: http://pixdaus.com/. It's not the easiest site to use but it does have some features you could use.

Edited by fisicx

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Hey, thanks for the post, I'm sorry for a late response.

 

It's actually quite simple, there are right now, three options to download the image, so it would make kinda mess on the main page. Plus on the other hand, I added an option, that I was intending for some time now -> it takes your time to actually download all the images and sometimes you just dont want to browse all of them, but get them all-in-one and that's where this tool comes in. For just $3 you can get a whole pack of (right now) 40 high-res images in just a few clicks. It's a banner on the right side, processed via gumroad.

 

I also changed the layout of the header and categories, so if you'd give it a look, it would be awesome. + many pictures came in since the last post, so be sure to check them out and tell me what do you think.

 

Thanks a lot!

 

Michael

www.picnshot.com

It's actually quite simple, there are right now, three options to download the image, so it would make kinda mess on the main page.

No it wouldn't. Just make the buttons smaller. 100px wide would easily fit side by side on a phone. You already have a download button so there would be no real change to the layout.

 

The categories are strange as well, how is a leather folder technology?

 

I think what you are doing is great but the images seem very random. But people seem to be downloading the images so it seems to be working for you. It's just doesn't appeal to me.

  • Author

It's great to get your answer so shortly, thanks a lot! :-)

 

I still need to work on the categories, I'm still thinking a lot about tags though, so that's still in process.

 

Well you know, since I really want to give the greatest experience I try to make as wide collection as possible. From nature to food, through technology to people.

 

I wish people are going to like that and exactly, since they're downloading I hope I'm making the right choice there.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked it a lot. The image quality appears to be really good. If you are shooting the images yourself, why not market yourself as a photographer for hire? I.E I run a site about metabolic illness and diet in my spare time and could really use some royalty free images of sugar and cakes for example. Give people an easy option of requesting an image or set of images, or a theme. Shoot the photo's and get a one to one relationship with the customer and see what happens.

 

The important thing here is that the images you have already uploaded showcase your skills well enough to convince people to hire you. If you specifically ask visitors what sort of images they want, and shoot and upload these in good time frame, you'd be offering a really valuable service! You have to pitch this offer front and centre and market it hard to make it work.

I just subscribed to your blog. You might want to look at what at what customers actually receive from your site when they sign up. You only get one chance to make a first impression and the automated response emails are one of the things that most web masters completely neglect. You need to make the responses more verbose and use them as a marketing opportunity to cement a relationship with the customer.

  • Author

Hey Jellypie,

thanks for this amazing feedback, you really hit it! :-) You have a really great idea and I'm totally going to look into that, I love it! BTW, you might be my first customer, I'd start with you-> so if you actually need some photos, let me know.

 

About the subscribe thing, I just viewed the way it shows and it's really not alright, I need to think it through and change it ASAP, thanks a lot!

 

If you have any other ideas or comments, or anything, just let me know! :-)

 

Thanks, Michael

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

Hey guys, back again! :-) Picnshot.com has gone through a rather dramatic change visually(design) + many photos added since then. I would love your opinion about everything.



BIG PLUS:


Added a new "test-drive" feature called CHECKIT where you can view how the photos can be used for designs(top banner above the photos).



Thanks, Michael


  • Author
I would also love a word from webdesigners/developers, whether if you would use my photos in your designs/themes/demos etc. It's very important for me to know, whether if the project is sustainable.


Thanks a lot!


Michael

There just aren't enough to choose from. I'm working on a site for children's clothing and the client wants a background image. On istockphoto (for example) there are thousands to choose from. Your images may be free but there just isn't enough of them.

Yes I'm curious why you haven't simply uploaded your images to one of the many existing microstock sites rather than enter an overcrowded market with your own site. Microstock sites might not pay very well but they do all the work getting the footfall and becasue of the sheer volume and range of material that's where your "customers" will be. And if you're hoping to make money from the advertising and referalls then footfall is what you need which means your offer needs to be very strong.

 

if you're the only contributor then do something different and innovative to try to be unique.

 

At the moment you're whispering into a gale IMO. If you want some pointers for design etc take a look at Unsplash.

I have a few points.

 

* I personally hate the sidebar with all the adds, I feel it really squashes my view a bit.

 

* I'd like to see a way for users to submit pics and you/your team approve them - engaging the community this way

 

* I think that until you have more images up the choice is quite limited but it is a site I'll keep looking at for images for sure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.