Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Forum, own blog or guest blog?

Featured Replies

Hi Gang,

 

I'm half way through a few articles about SEO for designers and developers and my wife was proofing one to check it flows and she asked "so what are you going to do with it once finished" and that threw me a curve ball, I've no idea.

 

So I was wondering where to share my ramblings. I could make a blog but then I've no idea how many articles i'd write, it could get old. I could try to submit my article to a blog which allows guests but then I'd hate for it to end up on artciles4seos.biz or some shizzle like that. The alternative would be it would make ok forum fodder to bore you all.

 

So those with blogs; are the hard to keep on top of? I'm not looking to 'gain' business from this, more share experience, data and methods which could help some designers and developers pick up some tips they might no have thought of.

 

Ta

 

I guess you only find out by trying.

 

I've had a lot of similar thoughts recently. I've got stuff I want to write about, but it's finding the time to do it really well. Many blogs start with a bang and then fade out. Then again, if you're willing to keep up with it who knows where it could end? You can only find out by having a go.

 

I struggle to find the time to keep mine updated too, I spend more of my time learning, then when I come to write about it (Was planning to write about ES6) I started with a React course. Not enough hours in the day!

  • Author

 

I struggle to find the time to keep mine updated too, I spend more of my time learning, then when I come to write about it (Was planning to write about ES6) I started with a React course. Not enough hours in the day!

 

Exactly ... it's the time.

 

Maybes we should all hook up and run one blog between us :D

  • Author

Maybe we could start a WebDesignerForum Blog or something?

 

Some kind of extended topic where it's article based format, members could post vetted articles ... I say vetted simply because I can already see the 'cheap kitchens' arriving ;)

I think it depends on the type of blog you are writing, for example many people have mentioned that it is hard to keep on top of things and continuously put out new content. I am not much a writer but I do have one personal website with a blog component. I only have a few articles but one of them was a technical tutorial about setting up a router within a virtual machine and since there are not really any good articles like it on the web it has been receiving steady traffic for 3 years since I wrote it. I think for other types of sites which have more generic content it is more important because you are trying to establish a following where people will keep coming back to check out what is new.

  • 2 weeks later...

It's true Eber, if you write something helpful, unique, not easily available over the net so there is a possibility that it will be recognized by the people.

  • 1 month later...

I agree that unless you are going to put in a LOT of time to your blog (and not form a co-op with other authors), it's probably best to leave it be.

 

But there is absolutely no reason not to try submitting your article to (respected) blogs that allow guest contributions. Which ones are respected is somewhat subjective. You can probably decide for yourself about whether your articles fits in with their style and perceived audience. Check their index ratings for confirmation. That's easier than writing the article in the first place, right? Many blogs want you to commit to regular contributions before they publish your articles, but not all of them. And some of them even pay.

 

Another idea is to check out other SEO agencies' blogs. They probably won't advertise willingness to publish guest articles, but they VERY often have trouble keeping up with new articles for their blogs, because staff writers are totally overloaded (the client comes first). Also good if you are thinking about a career in SEO. Not that you're likely to get rich from it...

 

JMO

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.