Sign in to follow this  
Red11

Responsive design preview software/app?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here:

I produce photoshop mock-ups from design briefs and display them in software online (currently use cageapp.com) where myself/sales/client can make notes on page elements in our own time on design tweaks.

However with the incoming of responsive and mobile first platforms, it seems a little old hat to just give a mock-up of a desktop version of a site.

We looked at Adobe Edge Reflow, the drawback here is the lack of support with preview software.

I have heard before of designers supplying the customer with html/css versions to the customer so they can preview how the site would behave in browser. Whilst this sounds good, it doesn't allow for the note adding and doesn't fit in our current site development model.

Is there software out there that would fulfil these requirements? Thanks.

Yes - A code editor :)

a growing trend for design & development now is to design in the browser, although the term is a little missleading, what usually happens is a designer & a developer will brainstorm ideas for the website or app, then sketch out ideas for modules on paper, whiteboard or a sketch program, then they will re-create the modules in the browser with the designer making design suggestions to the developer. I won't go into detail about why this approach is a good idea but I will mentiion that many web agencies work this way and a growing number of large media organisations (Netflix, BBC, SKY) are adopting this approach, after they have likely conducted extensive research into the idea. It also plays nicely into the Agile workflow and can also allow for a continuous delivery appraoch to the project.

But if you wish to do it the old way you must code the psd up in using a code editor, you often find that designs done by print designers or designers who are not yet familiar with responsive design won't work in a responsive site without modification and/or bad coding practices of which the latter should be avoided unless you like spending lots of time and money fixing bugs / doing maintenance etc.

Edited by rbrtsmith

^ what he said really. the sooner you can get into the browser the better, only then can you see how things really pan out across screen sizes and devices. You don't have to start with a complex "design", just some simple greyscale responsive layouts that suggest how different types of content may be presented plus generic page elements like navigation.

Once you have that in place to can then start adding things like interactions (links, javascript etc) and probably some core colours. You just keep building things up this way and gradually it all comes together.

^ what he said really. the sooner you can get into the browser the better, only then can you see how things really pan out across screen sizes and devices. You don't have to start with a complex "design", just some simple greyscale responsive layouts that suggest how different types of content may be presented plus generic page elements like navigation.

Once you have that in place to can then start adding things like interactions (links, javascript etc) and probably some core colours. You just keep building things up this way and gradually it all comes together.

I should also add Codepen is a great way of sharing modules and ideas with a client remotely.

I think, there is no need of any apps or softwares. Firefox is enough to doing this. After you design your responsive website, then you have to check it appearance by using a firefox shortcut ctrl+shift+m. You can change the default resposive size as well. Default size is 320*480