Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mobile Optimization Always Suitable?

Featured Replies

Okay, I'm back now. Exams are done and I'm starting work on a project I've had planned for a few months - mockups etc are completed and now it's time to get coding.

 

Basically, the project I have planned (can't reveal too much as of yet) would be something that would be purely "desktop only" - if it were to be accessed via a smart device (ie - tablet, phone etc) there wouldn't be much the user could do. That's just the way it is.

 

So, my question is, is it worth making the responsive for smart devices and making it view-able and usable on all screen resolutions or would a better option be to setup a dedicated page for mobile users, something along the lines of "You're better off viewing {name} on your desktop and so on.."?

 

Just kinda stuck on what to do here, of course once I have peoples feedback I can carry on with dev.

 

 

Thanks in advance.

In this day and age it's worth considering turning your approach around and going "mobile only", that way your site will work on any device from the start.

Responsive ... one site with break points for devices. I did a site which was really designed for desktop (since it had epic 50MB+ downloads) but it still 'worked' for mobile we just slapped massive warnings for file sizes.

Edited by BrowserBugs

  • Author

Responsive ... one site with break points for devices. I did a site which was really designed for desktop (since it had epic 50MB+ downloads) but it still 'worked' for mobile we just slapped massive warnings for file sizes.

So what you're saying is don't build it responsive but make it "viewable" on phones? So basically leave it normal.

No i'm saying make it responsive to both desktop and phones (advertising front end) but if the 'product' isn't possible on a phone then at least they can come back on a desktop. The project I worked on was all possible from a phone just if they wanted to 'download' resources then we warned them of the files size before they tried downloading 50MB+ on 3g.

 

Basically, the project I have planned (can't reveal too much as of yet) would be something that would be purely "desktop only"

 

How limited is the 'product' from mobile? I'm kinda clutching at straws without knowing what isn't possible.

Edited by BrowserBugs

  • Author

No i'm saying make it responsive to both desktop and phones (advertising front end) but if the 'product' isn't possible on a phone then at least they can come back on a desktop. The project I worked on was all possible from a phone just if they wanted to 'download' resources then we warned them of the files size before they tried downloading 50MB+ on 3g.

 

 

How limited is the 'product' from mobile? I'm kinda clutching at straws without knowing what isn't possible.

Well, put it this way.. What the user will be downloading will only be 'usable' on a desktop. I see what you're saying, there's no harm in making it viewable on every resolution but then putting up a notice for mobile users. Thanks man!

Exactly. If you think of say a video game website their 'product' is not for smartphones however they could still offer sign up, game news etc to the smartphone market although to download and play you would need a desktop.

  • 3 weeks later...

This days people access more from mobile devices, so it won't really make much relevance if you are desktop based.

Mobile optimization is important as more and more people are viewing websites from mobile,palmtops etc.Even your website would become more popular among clinets if it is responsive means suitable to all types of screen resolution.

Edited by effortsunlimited

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.