Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

how does my logo look?

Featured Replies

Before I get Glowbridge to design me a professional one I though I would at least give it a shot at designing a logo myself.

 

Just a general crap or not will do please :) The letters stand for Hegarty Mortgages

 

post-16168-0-86450000-1346270723_thumb.png

Just a general crap or not will do please...

 

I only see an "H" on my crappy test monitor and it looks like a "Hospital" sign in the U.S., so I'm forced to vote "crap" on this one (though it's not awful), sorry man!

Edited by porkchops

  • Author

Thanks porkchops its a good point. I kept thinking it looked like a helipad :)

 

Oh well thanks for your honest opinion bud.

  • Author

Any better?

 

post-16168-0-73024800-1346327013_thumb.png

Before I get Glowbridge to design me a professional one I though I would at least give it a shot at designing a logo myself.

 

Just a general crap or not will do please :) The letters stand for Hegarty Mortgages

 

post-16168-0-86450000-1346270723_thumb.png

 

I'm compelled to vote crap as well, but I don't think it's because you lack the technique to do it. I just think you're lacking an idea. You could try something like this:

 

post-40813-0-99841500-1346327875_thumb.png

 

The capital H and M from the Georgia font look almost like structural supports, put a roof over them and bob's your uncle!

  • Author

hey thanks for that Eoin! I like what you have done I'm just trying to get away from what you would expect from a financial servcices company roofs and bank like letters etc. Maybe I shouldn't?

  • Author

one of these better?

 

post-16168-0-06954300-1346330744_thumb.png

If you aren't planning on being a financial institution you should certainly stay away from the imagery. From what I gather it's more advice you do, right? You're the guy all the confused souls go to when they want to buy a house. So the logo should be friendly, colourful, modern & crisp but simple enough to still have a professional/trustworthy feel.

  • Author

thats exactly what i'm after Glow!

Try the H and M side-by-side with the foot of the M just behind the leg of the H in your circle. Lose the red ring, keep it two-tone for now.

  • Author

you mean so they overlap slightly?

hey thanks for that Eoin! I like what you have done I'm just trying to get away from what you would expect from a financial servcices company roofs and bank like letters etc. Maybe I shouldn't?

 

I agree with you 100% that breaking the mould is definitely good thing if you can pull it off, the difficulty is just with that second part! The thing is, with a mortgage company you aren't selling booze fuelled orgies in the south pacific. (That would leave scope for a much more interesting logo!)

 

As glow said, you've really got to get accross the image of trustworthy, honest & professional. The way I see it, you really have two choices, you can do that by appealing to a 'traditional' style, which is very much along the lines of your last effort on the right. (The circular text, although I agree with MMM that it would be better aligned horizontally) Or you can go for a more modern look, maybe something like this:

post-40813-0-73150500-1346333875_thumb.jpg

It's a bit lifeless, but heck so are mortgages eh? :D

  • Author

This?

 

post-16168-0-98605200-1346339399_thumb.png

post-16168-0-89689200-1346339471_thumb.png

Edited by jheg

This?

 

post-16168-0-98605200-1346339399_thumb.png

post-16168-0-89689200-1346339471_thumb.png

 

Yes you're getting there! Particularly the bottom one, the simpler the better! (generally) Keep trying iterations of it, there are only so many things you can alter, and you want to alter stuff and at the end, stick them all on the same page as each other so you can pick between them. Whittle it down to maybe 2-3 and let your client choose if there isn't a clear winner. Try altering things like the kerning, the distance between your text on a line and the circle border, the font for your HM (Adobe Hebrew font does a good capital letter joinup if you've got it) etc.

  • Author

Right folks I think I am happy with this what d'ya think?

 

post-16168-0-21931600-1346352600_thumb.png

  • Author

Cheers mate - now as someone kindly pointed out I just need to learn how to bend text a little better.

Right folks I think I am happy with this what d'ya think?

 

post-16168-0-21931600-1346352600_thumb.png

 

I think you've thought about this and refined it enough now that anything anyone says about it will purely be a matter of taste, rather than there being much 'textbook' style critique. (apart from that bloody E, get it back the way it was! :lol: )

 

Personally, I quite like the addition of the bird even though I'm not sure what relevance it has to the business. The background text on the HM lettering I'm not such a big fan of, but as I said it's purely a matter of taste. (Unless your client will ever look to print that logo in which case the interior lettering may not come out very well.)

 

Eoin

  • Author

Thanks Eoin

 

Just noticed that E is well out of line but hadn't noticed until you just pointed it out...ooops. I am the client, the bird is an avocet native to Suffolk where my business is based :)

 

I plan at the foot of each page to have a little avocet fact - nothing to do with mortgages but maybe it will turn in to my company pet!

  • Author

Final ... I think.

 

Thanks for all the advice!

 

post-16168-0-27509700-1346359147_thumb.png

I think I preferred the serif personally and would have made that heavier, especially as your brand type is serif.

 

However I do like the text in the HM because it gives the effect of a soft texture at distance.

 

A case in point that simpler is often much better.

I like the latest version, though I think it feels a little unbalanced as the bird is too close to the edge of the circle. Drop everything down a bit and allow some more space between the circle and your external text (would be my advice).

  • Author

Thanks again guys I'll drop it down later on and see how that looks! Know what you mean about the font MMM but the font inside the disc lends itself better for background effect I put in...hmm

Or something very modern and minimalistic to get away from the 'stuffy' persona?

 

Ooh I like it!

Uh-oh, I think I just did spec work! :ph34r:

 

Don't worry about it, we'll just put you under the patio with the others. :)

  • Author

ooooh just when I thought I was happy with it lol

Good progressions so far.

 

Still missing something memorable i feel. I missed the part where the bird was needed?

 

Just messed around quick for some food for thought.

 

post-30065-0-25250700-1346491719_thumb.png

 

Nothing special, just different directions you can go in.

  • Author

Nice one Lovelock I really like it damn you guys have given me so many ideas!

 

The bird, an avocet, was added as kind of like a company emblem. The reason for it being an avocet is it is local to my area.

 

PS nice work on Lemon's bar logo!

Edited by jheg

some how lovelock's logo reminds me of Wordpress. if you put them side-by-side then i'm sure they won't look but there's something that reminds me

some how lovelock's logo reminds me of Wordpress. if you put them side-by-side then i'm sure they won't look but there's something that reminds me

 

Reminds me more of Volkswagen with fewer Teutonic overtones!

 

(Edit: But it's good I like it!)

Edited by Eoin

  • Author

yeah man Wordpress and VW - knew it looked familiar!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.