Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Second Re-Design

Featured Replies

So, the last re-design got shot down in flames, so I gave it another go.

 

How'd I do?

 

here

 

(will be adding telephone, e-mail and location under those titles)

I'm soooooo very sorry about this crit but....

 

 

 

 

I love it :p

 

my only concern comes with content, are you planning on keeping this site at a fixed height? if so there is no problem, but if you are planning on extending the content area down to accommodate the content is it wise to have the menu at the bottom, as it would mean that viewers would have to scroll all the way down to change the page.

 

Other then that one thing I love the look and the colours and the concept and really it is great...so I can't wait to see what it looks like when you put your content in it :D

 

 

EDIT: It's great to see that you took our advise to heart and that you redirected your ideas, and gave the site a concept rather than going with all your ideas in one site :)

  • Author

Thanks so much dizi!

 

The other pages will start from the top (on-top of the parachutes) and end where the current content area ends.

 

Do you think that would work, or would people not like such a drastic change in the way the page looks?

I think it should be fine if all the other pages start at the same place as each other and that one is like that. As the character and personality the site has is so strong that it wouldn't be a drastic change, just a slight change :)

  • Author

Brilliant, thanks Dizi! Don't have any explanation why in ie7 the bottoms of the words "Delivering your Designs" are cut off do you ?

This is a very nice design - very well done. My only criticism so far is it would be nice to see a bit of copy on the home page.

Colours and concept work very well. :)

  • Author

Thanks notbanksy!

 

I've kind of gotten tired of saying "Hi! I'm Russell Bishop, a 16 year old designer who like everyone else has SO much to offer you".

 

I think that clients have read that generic paragraph so many times they won't get part the Hi!, so I'll just put my mobile number there with my e-mail and location.

 

Unless you really feel it's necessary?

Brilliant, thanks Dizi! Don't have any explanation why in ie7 the bottoms of the words "Delivering your Designs" are cut off do you ?

 

 

 

Can't help you with that this weekend as I don't have ie7 on any computer in my house...but if no one else has helped you drop me a PM on monday and I will have a look into it when I have ie7 in front of me :p

Hi Russ,

I really like the design, nice and original!! :)

With regards your H1 in IE, try setting a line height of 32px, same as your font size.

  • Author
With regards your H1 in IE, try setting a line height of 32px, same as your font size.

 

Saviour, 35px works brilliantly, cheers ElanMan !

I really like it you already know how much I love your "R", unique. Can't wait to see it with content.

Hey good site did you get the skyline photoshop brushs on da? I think there the same ones on my site. Good job though I like the parachute idea!

  • Author

Not sure if they're brushes, they're taken from an old collaboration I did years ago.

 

Thanks for the kind comments!

 

Update: added details

 

Working on the other 3 pages.

I really like it you already know how much I love your "R", unique. Can't wait to see it with content.

 

Ditto :D

I love your 'R's (It's funnier if you read that out loud! ;) ) - it's a nice design and definitely interesting.

As usual I'm going to mention copy! (cue collective groan!). It's be a shame, as mentioned by notbanksy (who I will be calling Field Marshal notbanksy when we launch our.... um, forget I said anything... :huh: !), not to match the design with some 'ear-catching' copy.

 

On that front... you could change:

 

"Delivering your Designs"

 

to

 

"Your designs delivered"

 

or

 

"Designs delivered"

 

Even though I usually advocate active prose, this is a case where breaking that 'rule' could give a different tone. I'm not saying it has to be done - just gives you something to think about - whichever way works well.

 

:hi:

I didn't really want to comment on the first design of yours because everyone else pretty much said what I wanted to...

 

But this is certainly a step up. It still maintains a lot of color while not appearing crowded. You made great use of the Rs and the parachutes along with the tagline.. It just works well.

 

You have a good foundation to work on.. but I do see a problem with your navigation. You really don't want to stay with fixed height, because you won't be able to fit any content on there. But if the height does stretch, then you probably won't be able to see the navigation until you scroll down. I don't really know how you would go about fixing that if the problem arose without changing the look of the site.. I like the navigation below the content. But eventually it will have to be moved to a different area unless you stay with the fixed height.

  • Author
"Delivering your Designs"

 

to

 

"Your designs delivered"

 

or

 

"Designs delivered"

 

I thought long and hard about this, and I chose to have the first word as Delivering. I think because that D is such a strong letter, and the word Delivering has such a 'stocky, hench' feel to it, it makes that 'you' (which I hate to use for cliche purposes) seem less terrible in my opinion.

 

But would you strongly recommend to begin with Your, or shorten to "Designs Delivered"?

 

 

You really don't want to stay with fixed height, because you won't be able to fit any content on there. But if the height does stretch, then you probably won't be able to see the navigation until you scroll down. I don't really know how you would go about fixing that if the problem arose without changing the look of the site.. I like the navigation below the content. But eventually it will have to be moved to a different area unless you stay with the fixed height.

 

I intend to have the very top of the content area appear about 10px from the top of the page (on-top of the parachutes) and come down to where the current white section ends. Will that work? The navigation will stay in view, so would that work?

 

Thanks for everyone's help!

 

Russ

  • Author

Started work on the web design page (big thanks to php_penguin for the massive help with the image changing javascript!)

 

http://www.russbishop.net/new2/webdesign.html

 

What else should I use to fill that white space? I'm going to include clients, should I have like a button for "Get a Quote" going to the contact page ?

I like the concept, do you have a link to your other site that got shot down, would be interesting to compare

  • Author

The topic is here;

 

Lots of complains about it being too many ideas in one small place, so I've set this in the sky, and where can you feel more room than up in the sky?

But would you strongly recommend to begin with Your, or shorten to "Designs Delivered"?

 

Hi Russ - like I say - I wouldn't strongly recommend any of the options - I think they all work and see what you mean about the 'Delivering' softening the 'your'. Just some thoughts on each:

 

"Delivering your Designs" - I like and don't like the 'delivering'. It's active (i.e. 'ing' means it's going on now) which ties-in with the parachutes in motion. But it trips the tongue and lessens the impact of the word 'deliver'.

 

"Your designs delivered" - I agree about the clichéd use of 'your' at the beginning. It's snappier and more definite, a stronger more solid statement with 'delivered' implying past tense which has a psychological effect that it already has been delivered.

 

"Designs delivered" - the shortest and sharpest and punchiest. I like it because I think you might need a strong heading to combat the busy and eye-catching background. But it is impersonal.

 

 

I suppose if I was pressed for my preference it's probably "Designs delivered" due to the busy background followed hot on its heels by "Delivering your designs".

 

Just see what feels right for you - I just think throughout you'll need plenty of personality and punch to your copy or it'll be too subservient to the design.

 

:D

  • Author

I've changed it to Design Delivered, and I think I prefer it :)

 

Cheers Wizely !

I've changed it to Design Delivered, and I think I prefer it :)

 

Cheers Wizely !

 

I like the design a lot too, very quirky and unique. If i can offer you any advice its that the text/font used on the tabs is slightly too heavy, it kinda fills the tabs too much, but this is just a minor point, well done! :)

  • Author

Thanks very much :D

 

How should I change it, do you have any suggestions? Do you mean choose a whole other font or change the size of the current text?

very nice and creative website, I really like it

but the "graphics" and "contact" button not working.

  • Author

I've added the Testimonials section, but I'm not too happy with it. Suggestions ?

Hey,

 

Love the Parachute R's wish i'd came up with that :p

 

Daring color for the buttons and it kinda works. In safari there's a gap between the buttons and the content. 15px or something.

on the Web page the font is a bit big and i would lose the Underline. The color on the testimonial might be a bit to much.

 

EDIT: Yea the testimonial doesn't really work. I think its a color to many. Maybe you can try and use the green from the "R".

 

Your website really has personality, i like it.

 

Greetz R-J

I've changed it to Design Delivered, and I think I prefer it :)

 

Cheers Wizely !

 

No problem at all. It was a close call. I reckon you're inching closer to a really nice site - it's always the final 10% that takes 90% of the time I reckon. Really don't forget to spend as much time on the copy as the design - a good site is as strong as it's weakest link - don't ruin a strong design with weak words (even a portfolio page for a designer). :D

Hi Russ

 

Just a small point i'm not sure on - your domain is russbishop.net, but the site says Russell? I just thought you'd want to unify? I can see both sides of the argument for it!

 

Chris

  • Author

Long story short; did a tiny graphics job for a company, in exchange for free domain & hosting for life, and the guy bought russbishop.NET instead of russELLbishop.net

 

I hate it, but I can't afford a new one yet.

I do not speak, that it is necessary to do so, it only idea and fast execution:)

  • Author
Sorry, sorry, sorry :(

I beg your pardon, but it is does not suit anywhere!

Think above it:

117728975.jpg

http://photofile.ru/photo/tehi86/115077364/117728975.jpg

 

Tehi ;)

 

Not sure. Thanks for the time you've spent making it, but I'm not so keen. Unless most others think otherwise?

Not sure. Thanks for the time you've spent making it, but I'm not so keen. Unless most others think otherwise?

no problems. It was really done very quickly. I spoke about these remarks in 1 design still.

  • Author
I spoke about these remarks in 1 design still.

 

Sorry could you re-phrase that I'm not sure I understand.

Ahhh!!! that explains it :)

 

no, i prefer the balloons!

 

parachutes it is not serious. Or they demand more careful study:)

  • Author

They're not ballons, they're quite obviously my logo on the end of parachutes ! :)

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.