Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is this design too simple?

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

Do you think this site design is too simple? Website

Should I do the obvious thing and change the gallery to a carousel?

 

Also do you think Google might not like me as the main content is hidden when you first open the page?

 

Please let know what you think...

 

Many thanks

 

Ben.

The design is not to simple. But at the same time -it´s not looking right for some reason. I guess it´s the frame on top with the scroll, that toggles a lightbox. What´s the thing with that? I guess a carousel might work better, yes. :good:

I also think the top sliding bar needs work, all samples need to be the same size etc

 

Also on our screen the front page is not central on Y axis.

Edited by RPM-tuningsolutions

It's like a gallery website upside down :)

 

Among others things menu needs emphasis and should be easy to find...one of the basic principles of web design

Why isn't the the text place on separate pages? You're saturating your content by giving google too many options to rank you for too many keywords. Each page should concentrate on a selection of keywords.

 

If you have 5 or 6 different pages, it means you can have 5 or 6 different pages in google, each ranking for different keywords.

 

You can build up good PR to these pages, have some goof inter-page links and have the pr flowing through the site.

 

Optimize your images by using the 'alt' and 'title' tag

Edited by Jason Dexter

Why hide the text? If she wants to communicate with her audience they need to be able to read about her (without being forced to click a link as it's a one page site).

 

Main nav links need to go near the top of the page, else visitors will need to scroll down to see them, and might miss them.

  • Author

Cool, thanks everyone :) I probably will change the scrolly gallery thing to a carousel, it does look a bit old hat doesn't it.

 

I put all the text on one page for the Google spiders to have something to read as there really isn't much to go on. I think it should be semantically pretty good but I am a bit worried that google might not like it, I guess time will tell.

 

don4365345 that's your opinion, in my opinion it's the greatest! Check out the original... (Google Jill Evans) It sure beats that.*

 

Jason Dexter, I haven't finished the alt and title tags yet, I got a bit bored, but yeah I agree.

 

BlueDreamer, buy a bigger monitor!*

 

*please read with your tongue in your cheek, fanks!

 

 

Nice work guys, I love this forum!

Edited by Ben Evans

BlueDreamer, buy a bigger monitor!*

I already have a big monitor :p - he he

 

On a serious note most modern monitors and laptops/notebooks have wide but shallow screens nowadays. When you add a couple of browser toolbars (not uncommon) the amount of visible vertical space can be "not a lot". I'm currently running at 1360x768 with a couple of toolbars visible in my browser and the nav links on your site are out of view without scrolling. Ok I know where to look but most internet users aren't that savvy so it could work against you.

 

With your content text, write for human being not search engines. Google and others will find the text without any problem (unless you do something stupid:)). You could also bump up the text size as well if there's not much of it, that will help fill things out a bit as well as making it more readable for people using larger resolutions. Browser default (16px) is fine nowadays and you could also try using a different font to make things sparkle a bit more?

Nice work Ben.

 

I agree with the carousel and I would also put a navigation at the top, and/or the footer.

 

As for SEO - If you put a h1 at the beginning of the page, it will be the description of the site on Google.

 

If it's not a 'high volume' site, I don't think you need seperate pages. Sure it's always better to have individual pages, but you can implement some nice transitions with divs. :)

 

Looking forward to the finished result!

If you had a custom scroller it would look alot better fitting

 

http://flowplayer.or.../scrollbar.html

 

something like this im not sure :) i just did a quick google search

 

love the design btw

 

Agree with the scroller idea! Would make it a lot nicer.

Nice design, bit I think you need to change the size and if you will add scroller your website will be easy to view. I like your favicon.

Personally I would sack the scrollbar idea off. I'd lose the thumbnails at the top and put the handwritten style logo up there, centered. Give yourself a bit of breathing space at the top of the site. Then just have a nice easing in and out slider where you currently have the large image and your navigation. Your navigation would look sweet underneath that in small, gray text. I reckon that'd look sweet.

 

Hope this helps.

Edited by jay pick

I would dumb the scrolling right, it's something I try to avoid in any design. Users dislike to scroll from left to right. Only up and down w00t

  • Author

I would dumb the scrolling right, it's something I try to avoid in any design. Users dislike to scroll from left to right. Only up and down w00t

You may be on to something there! Come to think of it I don't even like scrolling horizontally. Nice one!

Edited by Ben Evans

Oh sorry Ben, I meant DUMP... man that was a terrible typo, but you know what I meant. I would put the top part on auto-play and with some arrows and maybe some text below each image, something descriptive in one or two words, perhaps the name of the painting?

 

The rest, is spot on.

Edited by OniLink

  • Author

Okay... Check out my new ultra funky thumbnail scroller Here. Is it at all user friendly?

 

Still rocking the only one div!

Nice design Ben, sure Google won't take black hat work make your content visible don't hide..

The gallery slider at the top is way too confusing. I'd change it and use a proper carousel with next/prev arrows.

  • Author

It's okay... Google do like it... It's listing already...

 

Now I just need to make the thumbnail slider slightly more user friend and we should be away!

 

I might make the seat clickable too, but why, I don't know?

  • 2 weeks later...

Although I like your websites design, quite artistic. I would say that you need a separate page for your portfolio.

 

I would add some more content to your home page, maybe a short quote or text about yourself or your passions

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.