Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Setting up packages, help please! :D

Featured Replies

Im setting up my packages at the moment and would like some help please if you dont mind :)

 

£2.50 £5.00 £7.50

 

I want three packages at these prices, what RESOURCES shall I set for each? I have no clue!

 

post-24065-0-96403700-1297169812_thumb.png

I'm not gonna be the greatest help here, but I'd suggest looking around at some of the other hosting companies, and looking in detail at what they offer; there are plenty out there to "research"!. Are you looking to sell hosting in general, or simply offer it as an option to current/new clients?

 

 

Kyle

  • Author

I had a little look but they offer so much stuff its crazy, i know somebody on here will be able to fill in the missing gaps :)

 

 

In general but like mainly to my clients btw

  • Author

You need to look not only at what other companies offer but also at what your infrastructure can comfortably support.

 

Rightyo i will get the web master from the company to decide for me lol enough headaches for one day

It seems you're taking an arse-about-face look at this. I'd advise deciding on what features belong in which package, then look at how much you can realistically afford to sell them for, including your profit margin. If you start with the price and then decide features, you could end up making a loss.

  • Author

All i wanted/want to know is what Quota, Bandwidth and how many databases is fair for a £2.50, 5 and 7.50 a month hosting package...

 

And there is no features as far as im aware :)

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily limit the amount of databased. Even the most complex sites won't use loads of databases and will tend to use numerous tables within a single database.

 

As for Disk Space and Bandwidth, I think that would be for you to decide based on what kind of profit you're looking to make and what you would be happy paying yourself if it were you buying the hosting.

  • Author

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily limit the amount of databased. Even the most complex sites won't use loads of databases and will tend to use numerous tables within a single database.

 

As for Disk Space and Bandwidth, I think that would be for you to decide based on what kind of profit you're looking to make and what you would be happy paying yourself if it were you buying the hosting.

 

I dont understand how profit comes into this??????

Exactly, thats the arse-about-face way of doing it. To be fair, this is the sort of question where people are going to read it and think "If he doesnt know or cant work that out, he shouldnt be doing it in the first place"

 

Your basically asking anybody who does hosting, to tell you what plans to sell at those prices...

  • Author

Exactly, thats the arse-about-face way of doing it. To be fair, this is the sort of question where people are going to read it and think "If he doesnt know or cant work that out, he shouldnt be doing it in the first place"

 

Your basically asking anybody who does hosting, to tell you what plans to sell at those prices...

 

OMG

 

i wish i never asked.

 

Its MAINLY for my clients so it dont matter toooooooooo much thats why im asking because this is my first reseller account this is new to me im not going to set a better plan not asking people and keeping it bottled up am i

Don't worry Kingy, it's a perfectly acceptable question and people have different views on the answer.

Look at various other hosting companies and work out which plans would fit on your server comfortably. Then work out if it's economically viable for you to sell the plans at the prices mentioned. If not then reduce the allowances a tad until you find the perfect balance between reliability, speed, features and price.

  • Author

Don't worry Kingy, it's a perfectly acceptable question and people have different views on the answer.

Look at various other hosting companies and work out which plans would fit on your server comfortably. Then work out if it's economically viable for you to sell the plans at the prices mentioned. If not then reduce the allowances a tad until you find the perfect balance between reliability, speed, features and price.

 

Ok thanks :)

 

Ill have a look at a few of the hosting companys websites now, lets say godaddy?

 

my qouta is in MB and godaddys is in GB

 

So i want to give the cheap package 10GB, whats that in MB?

 

The speed of the server is super fast so thats cool. More then twice as fast as when i was on godaddy lol

The features will be one click installs and free domain £30 free google creds etc, so thats cool.

The price is up there i THINK thats cool, for my client ill be charging them the 5 pound package.

No need to get worked up. We're all trying to help you. The reason I mentioned profit is because you wouldn't be interested in hosting if you didn't think you could make money from it right?

 

You need to decide on a number of clients you are expecting to host with your reseller account. So say that number is 20, divide your reseller resources by 20 and that should give you some indication of what your maximum package could be.

 

Also, for your web design clients, I probably wouldn't give them a 'per month' cost. I would say 'Your website is going to cost x which includes 1 years web hosting'.

Edited by CityCM

Ill have a look at a few of the hosting companys websites now, lets say godaddy?

 

 

...let's not eh? ;)

Better off looking at smaller businesses that are more on the same sort of scale as you, that way prices will be far more realistic.

 

I only offer hosting using my reseller to clients who's sites i am developing. That way i know the size of the site and what it's rough needs will be. That negates all the hassle of finding a fixed price for a package .

 

(also means i can cut them off if they take the mick out of me with late payments etc but shhhh ;) )

 

 

Also, for your web design clients, I probably wouldn't give them a 'per month' cost. I would say 'Your website is going to cost x which includes 1 years web hosting'.

 

 

CityCM beat me too it :)

 

 

If this is for clients instead of random hosting why not set flat fees based on what they are wanting from their site.

 

eg:

hosting and no support for static sites = £2.50

hosting e-commerce/cms = £5.00

hosting and minor change support = £7.50

 

minor changes would include small text and image changes free each month equalling so much free work you would do for them, eg 30mins total, a hour total, something like that.

 

Then again that would only work if those prices were a per month basis, other features you should tack on to your web design things, like £30 google adword credit once your site is designed and running to help with promotion...little touches like that often help

  • Author

No need to get worked up. We're all trying to help you. The reason I mentioned profit is because you wouldn't be interested in hosting if you didn't think you could make money from it right?

 

You need to decide on a number of clients you are expecting to host with your reseller account. So say that number is 20, divide your reseller resources by 20 and that should give you some indication of what your maximum package could be.

 

Also, for your web design clients, I probably wouldn't give them a 'per month' cost. I would say 'Your website is going to cost x which includes 1 years web hosting'.

 

I dont get worked up unless seruisly ticked off and that could only happen in RL with much effort. Im always getting told off for having a too relaxed personalitly :)

 

Ok that makes much more sense a mathamatical way to work it out!

 

and Ild let them choose if they wanted to do per month or year/2years

and Ild let them choose if they wanted to do per month or year/2years

Do bear in mind the payment processing fees (from Paypal, etc). We are soon going to be axing our £1 per month payment option because the fees are 3.4% plus 20p so we lose 24p for every £1 payment. Just something worth thinking about.

  • Author

Do bear in mind the payment processing fees (from Paypal, etc). We are soon going to be axing our £1 per month payment option because the fees are 3.4% plus 20p so we lose 24p for every £1 payment. Just something worth thinking about.

 

I know paypal is a rip off :/ Havent liked them since i started selling on ebay

I'd have a long think about this before getting into it; there are a lot of legal issues and responsibilities that fall on you. Nobody wants a half baked cake.

 

Also expect your clients to call you for everything, how to sort their emails, add attachments, how to un-stick the S key, what temperature to keep spider plants. No joke.

Edited by WBC

Yeah they're absolute robbers. I sold a set of M3 coilovers on eBay a few months ago, cost me £86.82 in ebay and paypal fees :\

I have a long think about this before getting into it; there are a lot of legal issues and responsibilities that fall on you. Nobody wants a half baked cake.

 

Also expect your clients to call you for everything, how to sort there emails, add attachments, how to un-stick the S key, what temperature to keep spider plants. No joke.

 

Yeah this is all very true. Someone pays you £2.50 a month, they use up 2 hours of your month with stupid support questions so thats like £70 that you could have earned designing/developing something. I offer hosting to my clients but I charge them £18.00 a month. If their jaw starts catching flies when I tell them the price I just say if you bought a ferrari would you get it serviced by skoda?

I offer hosting to my clients but I charge them £18.00 a month. If their jaw starts catching flies when I tell them the price I just say if you bought a ferrari would you get it serviced by skoda?

 

That's a very good way to do it. It normally seems to be the ones who pay the least want the most or more correctly need the most.

  • Author

Woohoo, just what the internet needs, yet another reseller :/

 

 

 

 

Why the hell are you even in business, in the first place.

 

I had the packages prices set, i was confused why you lot were talking about profits?

 

the profits are the monthly charge for the package...

 

anyway its all set up one of the 'safer' members on here gave me a pm and helped me sort everything out

 

anyway climb off your highhorse and worry about yourself !

  • Author

Honestly, when you ask questions like that, you really to ask if being in business is a good idea. I feel sorry for any client who signs up with you.

 

Sorry to be harsh, but some of the things you're asking as ridiculous for a 'web host' (said in the loosest sense poss for obvious reasons).

 

Ok thats cush, let me try exsplain the best I can so you dont feel too sorry for my clients, and too angry with me about not knowing hardly anything about web hosting.

 

1. When I make websites I would like to host them myself, instead of signing them up with bluevoda/godaddy ... what I use to do.

 

2. This way I'm going to be recieving the monthly/annual payments and after 3 clients are setup on my hosting I cut even.

 

3. As I have been doing web development properly for 5 months im not going to know everything, but we all started of one the same foot...

 

4. Im pretty sure the only people im going to hosts will be my clients, and it will make everything easier for me being able to controll everything...

 

5. I had my website hosted on godaddy and the server im on now is over 2x as fast maybe even 3000times faster :)

  • Author

Ok, not going to get into an arguement with you because I've obviosuly hit a nerve - you're clearly going into this totally blindly with little thought at all.

 

you havent hit a nerve but i dont understand it when you was like 'not another reseller' its like I can host max 15 people on my reseller.. lol so ild thought ill tell you to climb of your horse, thats fair enough in my eyes

given all the above Kingy then you need a reseller account but don't really need to be worrying about actually reselling a hosting package as such. Keep things simple :)

  • Author

6. I can also cut them loose if they dont pay for any updates or anything...

@mike chip chop

given all the above Kingy then you need a reseller account but don't really need to be worrying about actually reselling a hosting package as such. Keep things simple :)

 

Yeah and as you're creating the sites in the first place you'll know what resources they'll need. :)

 

@mike chip chop

 

Flippin' 'eck! Is it that hard 'MikeChipshop'... like you were asking me out on a cheap dinner date, Mike... Chipshop? :p

Edited by MikeChipshop

I’d have to agree somewhat with rallport. If you really need to ask these questions then you are IMHO in no position to offering such services, like the SEO stuff you were offering.

 

What will you do when your clients have problems and your host need more information from you, will you be posting here asking for people to help you.

 

I wouldn’t accept anything like that from any professional service. Imagine talking to your doctor and then him saying just give me a week I’m googling the answer.

 

I think the idea of web designers offering hosting to people they have made web sites for is a good thing because the hosting world is such a mind field, it makes things easier for the client and also gives the designer some stable income. I the idea is giving a service, if you cannot give that service you are just making things harder and set yourself up for a fall.

I think you guys are being quite critical on Kingy, the server is managed by the reseller accounts provider, so I don't think you need a great deal of technical proficiency to provide accounts. All hes doing is providing accounts on someone else's server, if it has a problem then its up to them to fix it.

In addition to what Jock said, if the OP is only selling his packages to his web design clients then the only person that's likely to experience any issues (other than if it goes down completely) is the OP because it's the OP that will be FTP'ing the websites, setting up email accounts, etc.

It might sound harsh but i’d hope he’d take it more as a warning as it will be him picking up the pieces if it goes wrong. There is a nature here of offering what one doesn’t have, again like the SEO predicament. Business won’t play games you, prat them about and they take you for every penny.

 

Don’t run before you can walk.

 

It won't be as easy as passing the buck onto the host, if you don't know what's what they'll just say it's not their problem.

I agree with the mini chip chop, middle men are cool, I enjoyed working a lot more when the project manager dealt with the clients and I just had to do the designing and coding. Now that I deal with clients a lot more, means more stress and more shouting in my little ears, middle men save on headaches...unless you are a middle man :pp

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.