Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Background music for the site

Featured Replies

Hi

 

I need some background music on my website.

Its a standard website, using xhtml and css.

 

What I want is for a .mp3 file to play in the background after the page loads.

 

 

I suspect it will be some kind of flash media player, which would be fine.

 

I am really struggling to find something. Any reccomendations?

You may need it but people visiting may not?

Excusez moi for my idle curiosity, just a question - what is the necessity for background music on your site?

As others have already pointed out, its not considered 'user friendly' to have background music playing on your site, which can be attributed to a higher bounce rate (if users are listening to their own music whilst browsing for example).

 

On the other hand, Lee Brimelow has several videos that allow you to create a simple, XML driven flash mp3 player for your site :)http://gotoandlearn.com/index.php?currentpage=9

  • Author

You may need it but people visiting may not?

 

That may be true but the "paying" customer thinks otherwise.

  • Author

Excusez moi for my idle curiosity, just a question - what is the necessity for background music on your site?

 

It is not a necessity, its a request from the client.

 

Could I please stress to anyone questioning the whole whole point of having music in the first place, that I have had this discussion with the client and its not a question anymore of whether there should be music on the site. There will be music on the site and I need to find out the easiest way of doing this.

  • Author

As others have already pointed out, its not considered 'user friendly' to have background music playing on your site, which can be attributed to a higher bounce rate (if users are listening to their own music whilst browsing for example).

 

On the other hand, Lee Brimelow has several videos that allow you to create a simple, XML driven flash mp3 player for your site :)http://gotoandlearn.com/index.php?currentpage=9

Thanks for your great reply.

 

You discussed the merits of having music but also contributed to a potential answer to the actual question.

  • Author

http://www.hypergurl.com/music.html

 

The steps are there ^^ Its very easy

 

 

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

This

<embed src="yourmusic.mid" 
width=25 height=25 autostart=false repeat=true loop=true> </embed>

 

method is really user-unfriendly. It pops up a message in IE saying a active x component is required.

 

It also displays the media player which I do not want.

Thanks for your great reply.

 

You discussed the merits of having music but also contributed to a potential answer to the actual question.

 

No problem at all

Could I please stress to anyone questioning the whole whole point of having music in the first place, that I have had this discussion with the client and its not a question anymore of whether there should be music on the site. There will be music on the site and I need to find out the easiest way of doing this.

 

Thank you for your reply, mate. Now I understand.

Then you really need something like that.

  • Author

I use this one: http://www.ericzhang.com/mp3.php on my site (www.jacdaw.co.uk), after it is embedded just alter the dimensions to 1px X 1px to hide it.

 

Hope this helps.

This looks exactly what I need. I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

 

Thanks

and of course make sure he has the rights to put the music on his site i.e. it's his own, or has permission or has paid for the right to use it specifically for that purpose

This looks exactly what I need. I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

 

Thanks

No problem - hope you get it sorted.

  • Author

No problem - hope you get it sorted.

 

 

Hi

 

Thanks for this. It was perfect. I was up and running with it in about 20 mins.

 

Its really cool. It is simple and well documented.

 

Yesterday I must have spent about 2+ hours trying to find a decent one and I could not believe how difficult it was. All the solutions were over the top. I even downloaded one from envato and it was useless.

 

So once again thankyou and thanks to everyone that contributed to the thread.

Excusez moi for my idle curiosity, just a question - what is the necessity for background music on your site?

 

To annoy the viewer of course

Sometimes I encounter among my customers the guys who want something like that for thier sites, but usually I manage to dissuade them from such extravagances.

Are you sure you need it? I hear only complaint from the user because of music background - cuz they are cought in the office while surfing, lol

  • Author

Are you sure you need it? I hear only complaint from the user because of music background - cuz they are cought in the office while surfing, lol

 

 

I agree entirely, but I think it is going to have to be one of those live and learn scenarios...lol

I agree entirely, but I think it is going to have to be one of those live and learn scenarios...lol

 

I agree. Do what the client asks but always get it in email form so when they realise how stupid an idea it was you can rub it in their faces :p

 

 

 

And what was wrong with 1998?

 

 

In terms of web design and standards... does that really need to be answered? Were you not around the era of horrible animated gifs (like the infamous torch), midi music, under construction signs, mail boxes for contact pages. Your client is bound to turn his page into one of those if not kept in check.

 

In other words... have fun http://wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/

  • Author

In terms of web design and standards... does that really need to be answered? Were you not around the era of horrible animated gifs (like the infamous torch), midi music, under construction signs, mail boxes for contact pages. Your client is bound to turn his page into one of those if not kept in check.

 

In other words... have fun http://wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/

 

 

Whilst I agree with many of the arguments here, I think its far to easy to look back and be judgemental and arrogant about sites long passed.

 

What we have now is an evolution of technology and thought processes about GUI design and usability. Sometimes its nice to be a little retro.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.