Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is the best software for web design?

Featured Replies

Hey what in your opinion is best software for web design?

 

I am a student, so don't have unlimited money, and have some experience with web design with rapid weaver. Should I stick to rapid weaver? Why or why not? And if not then what should I use?

 

LIYD

Hello,

 

I would suggest searching for a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) program(s) and start out with it until you get more familiar with coding. There are plenty out there that are inexpensive and easy to use.

 

Best regards,

CoffeeCup.com

Hello,

 

I would suggest searching for a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) program(s) and start out with it until you get more familiar with coding. There are plenty out there that are inexpensive and easy to use.

 

Best regards,

CoffeeCup.com

That is a load of bull$. You learn dick from WYSIWYG programs. Get yourself a nice text editor like notepad++ or UltraEdit, if you really want to buy something, and stay away from things like DreamWeaver or Expression Web till you know what you are doing.

Hey what in your opinion is best software for web design?

 

I am a student, so don't have unlimited money, and have some experience with web design with rapid weaver. Should I stick to rapid weaver? Why or why not? And if not then what should I use?

 

LIYD

 

I just started out using a free text editor called Text Wrangler, it's just basic but you learn how to write code off your own back.

That is a load of bull$. You learn dick from WYSIWYG programs. Get yourself a nice text editor like notepad++ or UltraEdit, if you really want to buy something, and stay away from things like DreamWeaver or Expression Web till you know what you are doing.

it depends - you can learn some code if you use split view - in that way WYSIWYG is good, but whatever you choose learn how to code first ;)

 

there's aptana too http://aptana.com/

Just like everyone else is saying, learn to code in programs such as Notepad++

 

If your really cool and have had previous experience with Unix, hell you can even use emacs or vi to create your sites. As long as it edits plain text files, your away!

it depends - you can learn some code if you use split view - in that way WYSIWYG is good...

Okay, yeah, if you wont learn how to produce crappy code like WYSIWYG programs do then by all means get yourself one of them and do what they do. If however you want to produce correct, semantic code then a basic text editor is the way to go.

I am using CS3 Dreamweaver works fine for me. I write codes myself so it works.

Okay, yeah, if you wont learn how to produce crappy code like WYSIWYG programs do then by all means get yourself one of them and do what they do. If however you want to produce correct, semantic code then a basic text editor is the way to go.

that's why i said "but whatever you choose learn how to code first ;)" don't selectivity quote half of what i said to suit your own ******* moaning.

that's why i said "but whatever you choose learn how to code first ;)" don't selectivity quote half of what i said to suit your own ******* moaning.

 

So what you are saying is that you can learn stuff from the split view of a WYSIWYG program after you have learned how to code? That of course makes more sense...

yes of course - you need to learn the code (and the techniques/good practice) first before you learn any software (or enough that you don't start drawing layout tables and such like... ) for anyone who wants them there are plenty of tutorials around, here's some start with:

http://www.htmldog.com

http://www.opera.com/company/education/curriculum//

http://www.w3schools.com/

http://www.cssbasics.com

;)

I'd recommend Notepad++ since I use it myself. However, it is often said that choosing an editor depends on the person. So, if you don't need anything sophisticated then I'd recommend something lite like Notepad++, otherwise sophisticated programs are more along the lines of DreamWeaver... I never have been a big fan of Adobe products though.

Adobe CS4 is your best bet if you're going to want a WYSIWYG.

 

Though, if you can manage it, and if you intend to create more than one website, I would suggest learning CSS and of course XHTML ....

 

Once you have these in place, throw in a little jquery and you'll be creating some nice sites with good interaction.

I can appreciate the criticism of WYSWYG editors, but realistically most beginners will have a copy of Dreamweaver somehow as it comes with Adobe Creative Suite. I don't think there is anything wrong with using it - that's how I started (actually I started with Cyberstudio!). And there are some useful tools in Dreamweaver's code view.

I imagine you're using a WYSIWYG designer (hence software) so..

Dreamweaver is always a good choice, yet is about $400 i think for a license.

 

Regards,

Maybe you can get an old copy of Dreamweaver cheap. If you're starting out you won't be needing the newer advanced features.

 

It really makes life easy, though it does generate a mountain of code I find myself sifting through and deleting.

  • 2 weeks later...

i started Dreamweaver years ago, and it was probably the worst thing that could have happened, regarding my web design career. It is now maybe 8 years later, and only now am i comfortable with coding from scratch.

why not just use notepad?

 

I do all my coding in notepad, the code side I learnt from on the web just doing tutorials.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.